worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #242
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post

This is where the high vis comes in for me. It is screaming that motorcycles are dangerous! To me, when I see someone in high vis gear on a motorcycle, I see someone who is so averse to risk that they probably are so worried about getting hit they aren't enjoying themselves. I also believe this sends the same message to the public, who already believe motorcycles are deadly, do deadly they would rather actually kill their kids than to see them on one.

It's just that one step towards the bull^%$t ovwer-safety conscious attitude I am unwilling to take.

Wear your favorite color jacket, pants if you got 'em, your favorite color helmet, and ride like they can't see you. And have fun. The end.
that is a very strange perception of why people wear high vis

as I have posted before, I've been wearing high vis for nearly 50 years as a surveyor, to me, its efficiency on the job, but for most people, I see it as a flamboyancy thing, some people just wanna stand out irregardless of any safety it may bring them

why do salesmen wear red ties ?
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #243
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,702
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #244
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
Cant be too careful,,,

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #245
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
...I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and when we were kids we climbed trees, made ramps for our Stingrays with no helmets, rode brakeless minibikes in jeans, tee shirts, and All Stars as fast as they would go, made go karts and hauled ass down hilly streets, rode motorcycles helmetless, bombed down hills on skateboards helmetless, etc. etc.

To me, when I see someone in high vis gear on a motorcycle, I see someone who is so averse to risk that they probably are so worried about getting hit they aren't enjoying themselves...
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
... My feeling is that people who wear extreme safety gear, hi viz and headlight on think they have done their bit, the cars can see me now, and ride like so...
I think your understanding is totally wrong. In my experience, people I know who choose to wear hi viz are also those who pay more attention to all aspects of risk management related to riding. They are not "afraid" and nor are they treating hi-viz as a magic stone that abdicates them of responsibility for their own safety. In fact, they are more likely to ride fast but demonstrate better riding skills and hazard awareness while doing so.

I get how people could feel dismayed about today's molly-coddling culture, especially as it applies to kids - I share this feeling and understand it entirely but I also note that drivers in the 60's and 70's did not have ABS, airbags, crumple zones, loud stereos, gps's and phones in their cars. The hazards of tree climbing may be the same but those of road safety have changed. I am not wearing hi-viz to save myself from the risk of "climbing a tree". I'm doing it to try and help prevent some dumbass who can't climb from falling out of the tree and taking me with them on the way down.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #246
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I think your understanding is totally wrong. In my experience, people I know who choose to wear hi viz are also those who pay more attention to all aspects of risk management related to riding. They are not "afraid" and nor are they treating hi-viz as a magic stone that abdicates them of responsibility for their own safety. In fact, they are more likely to ride fast but demonstrate better riding skills and hazard awareness while doing so.

I get how people could feel dismayed about today's molly-coddling culture, especially as it applies to kids - I share this feeling and understand it entirely but I also note that drivers in the 60's and 70's did not have ABS, airbags, crumple zones, loud stereos, gps's and phones in their cars. The hazards of tree climbing may be the same but those of road safety have changed. I am not wearing hi-viz to save myself from the risk of "climbing a tree". I'm doing it to try and help prevent some dumbass who can't climb from falling out of the tree and taking me with them on the way down.
Xln't,

My 2centiments also.

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #247
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,398
When I'm riding, wearing my white helmet, I don't know what color it is...

When I'm wearing my hi-viz Darien, I don't look at myself...

I'm hoping the other folks notice them, but I ride as if they don't...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #248
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
it's hard for me to argue with my own experience over a quarter million miles on a bike

I've gone from hi-vis

to not so high vis

and back to hi-vis
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #249
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
I have a few miles under my ass and I wear helmet and jacket in Hi-Viz green.
No I do not believe it is the be all end all that will save me in every situation but every little bit helps.
I have been wearing it for years but what I wonder is........if everyone is wearing hi-viz will it become so normal that others won't notice it so much?
Case in point....Construction workers with orange vest and reflective stripes. They started wearing them years ago and now they are so normal that people do not pay attention to them at highway construction areas etc.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #250
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
In my experience, if does get noticed if drivers happen to be looking. If they aren't or just don't give a rat's ass, it makes no difference.

Yeah, you should ride like you are invisible, but I also think about a time quite recently that I really screwed up and missed the fact that I no longer had the green light. If the driver of the approaching cage who did have the right-of-way had not seen me in time to take evasive action, it's a fair bet I'd be one of the posthumous inmates. I was wearing my high-vis Teknic Freeway and my stark white EXO700. Yeah, the root cause of the problem was my own stupidity but going stealth would not have enhanced my odds of living to type this and there is no way to look cool when a Lexus is plowing over you.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #251
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I wonder why soldiers wear camouflage?
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #252
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
I think soldiers wear camo because they have to

Rednecks and Ted Nugent on the other hand....http://tackyweddings.com/2009/01/19/...lage-weddings/

When I first started riding in the 1970's there was some conspicuity gear (that is what they called "hi-viz" apparel in the olden days) - but it was rare. I was aware of it, but I loved my black leather jacket and remember thinking, "I would rather get hit than look that dorky"

That was decades ago though and my priorities have changed.

Now I wear a Kilimanjaro Hi Viz jacket or an Icon Hi Viz vest - and I know this is anecdotal rather than statistical, but I think there is noticeable difference in how many drivers see me. Especially in the fog, rain, low light, etc - and since I ride my motorcycle to work in the dark & ride it back home in the early morning 10 or 11 months of the year - that makes a big differnence to me.

It is true that some people aren't going to see motorcycles or even emergency vehicles with flashing lights - but I figure why not make it easier for people to see me.

I've noticed a huge increase in the # of local cyclists (motor & bi) wearing hiviz and I think it really helps them get noticed.

Most motorists these days have their headlights on in fog & rain - and it is very noticable how much more visible they are than a unlit car.
It doesn't mean that no one will ever hit a car with its headlights on but it is obviously a huge difference in visibility.

sloweddy screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 05:34 AM
sloweddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #253
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Throughout this thread its been repeated over and over again that people will use hi-vis as a crutch, substitute for other awareness skills, false security, etc. etc.

I was riding along in my full canary yellow jacket in today's afternoon peak hour madhouse traffic, and it occurred to me how could anyone seriously think that someone prepared to dress like a dork in a bright yellow jacket not be 100% committed to every facet of motorcycle safety. If you weren't you wouldn't be riding around looking like 'big bird'. The line that its a second class substitute, as if its the only thing you do, is actually totally hilarious when you think about it.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #254
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
It’s an idiotic fad and all the worse for the fact that it implicitly transfers responsibility for being seen from the motorist to the biker.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #255
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I take full responsibility for being seen (and every other facet of safety), you want to rely on the the motorist being responsible for your safety, are you kidding...........
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote