82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #257
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Post #257- Don't know why I couldn't quote your link but that's a ridiculous reason not to wear it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #258
dozu
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I am a believer - Hi Viz vest - cheap and effective to alert the drivers.

I mostly drive on single lane back roads. I can see the difference in how drivers are not trying to pull out on me.

Of course it's not a crutch.... but every bit of extra safety counts, right?

Also - with blue leathers, hi-viz vest and white HJC helmet, I look like a moto traffic cop lol. . Drivers do pay attention to cops.
dozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #259
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozu View Post

Also - with blue leathers, hi-viz vest and white HJC helmet, I look like a moto traffic cop lol. . Drivers do pay attention to cops.
People mostly slow down when there's a cop behind them. Not exactly what I want when I'm trying to create open space around me in traffic.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #260
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Yeah, I read the guys little blog. Let's just say it's an emotional little rant and all the worse for being rooted in philosophical objections and a very big, flawed assumption, which is that as the rider you will always be able to give yourself enough margin of safety by merely planning ahead. Sooner or later, though, you are going to have to pass across another driver's intended path, and though that driver may be stopped and though you may have the right of way, there will be a critical moment when you will have neither sufficient room for evasive action nor the ability to accelerate fast enough out of harm's way nor the ability to brake hard enough should that driver decide it is time to go (or might get you run over from behind should you try). Said driver will be so focused on gratifying his desire to go that he will mere motion alone will not catch his attention, and since you will already be traversing his line of sight (but not perception) changing your lateral position in the lane will be of no practical value. On US roads, that threat is usually greatest when the driver is to your right at the intersection as you pass through. Like it or not, the only thing that will keep you from being hit in that situation is that driver's reflexive realization that there's something in his path, so the easier it is for his lizard brain to detect a collision hazard, the better your chances of getting to ride another day.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #261
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,942
Hi vis for me.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #262
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Hi vis for me.
With or without Moly?
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #263
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
How about this,

Know it won't work when you need it to, accept it won't make you safer, understand being seen is no guarantee they will act appropriately..............................

......................And use it anyway?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #264
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozu View Post
. I can see the difference in how drivers are not trying to pull out on me.
I also believe you can see the difference in how drivers react. No doubt someone will say its all in your head because you just feel more vulnerable in traffic when not wearing it after wearing it for some time. Yes I do feel more vulnerable, and I believe rightly so as I know I'm not as visible. Does anyone really need a scientific study to conclude a rider/bike comprising a large block of bright yellow or orange is more obvious than black.

But even taking account of your own head space, you can see the cars around you are more aware of your presence and keep greater distance etc.

JohnCW screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:47 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #265
Desce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I also believe you can see the difference in how drivers react. No doubt someone will say its all in your head because you just feel more vulnerable in traffic when not wearing it after wearing it for some time. Yes I do feel more vulnerable, and I believe rightly so as I know I'm not as visible. Does anyone really need a scientific study to conclude a rider/bike comprising a large block of bright yellow or orange is more obvious than black.

But even taking account of your own head space, you can see the cars around you are more aware of your presence and keep greater distance etc.
There is no doubt cars are more aware of my presence in viz. To each his own.
Desce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #266
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,880
I wonder when we'll see motorcycles with Hi Viz paint? (Besides the Kawasaki green)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #267
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,583
In my experience a bright helmet is the key -- the color of the bike is way too low or, if approaching, is only showing the fairing further obscured by a headlight. I suppose the color of the bike would be helpful for cross traffic.

Gear is great but it too is obscured by other cars.

Of course at night, SOLAS is king.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #268
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I wonder when we'll see motorcycles with Hi Viz paint? (Besides the Kawasaki green)
I wouldn't consider the Kawasaki green to be all that effective as its to dark, but certainly better than black. This color was available on a stack of makes a few years ago, and personally with black 'bits' I reckon is both effective and looks really smart. The Hurt report concluded bikes with farings were less like to be involved in collisions due to increased front on visibility.

Another wilder option. Perhaps not quite as effective as the above, but still miles better than IMO boring black or gray.

Even this with perhaps a more dominate white helmet is miles ahead of the highly original black, black, and black (bike, clothes, helmet)

JohnCW screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 01:23 PM
Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #269
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post

Another wilder option. Perhaps not quite as effective as the above, but still miles better than IMO boring black or gray.

blind is blind... but if one can see, this should be the ticket.

digging the R6 flames.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #270
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
blind is blind... but if one can see, this should be the ticket.

digging the R6 flames.
You like that one? Me to. I think if the topic was how to increase your total visibility rather than "hi-viz" which a lot of people can't imaging past an industrial safety vest, then the subject would a far less polarized response.

The police here wear light blue shirts, white full face helmets, and big white Yamaha FJR1300 covered in all manner of kit. They actual stand out quite well (if not hiding).