Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #46
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not really. The morons don't see fire truck with big flashing lights, neon paint and loud sirens. I doubt they will see me any better.
Then why do they paint fire trucks bright with flashing lights and sirens if some people still don't see them?
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #47
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
being an owner of a bright yellow jeep I recognize that "hi-viz" is a fact of life.

that said... only for a bmw rain suit. other than that, not really for me and I'm not going to concern myself with it in the least. "personally". if I had a newb gf or daughter riding I would encourage them to wear some. but then it would still be their call.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #48
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Then why do they paint fire trucks bright with flashing lights and sirens if some people still don't see them?
they do... and it works. nothing is going to work 100% in all circumstances with all aspects covered.

but I'm still not going to bother.

so I am a believer just a non-give-a-shiter.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #49
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balootraveler View Post
*** it might also give my family's lawyer more ammo for more money for my family.
And this

Hopefully hi-vis gear would play a role in distinguishing me in the minds of jurors who may be unsympathetic to biker stereotypes (earned or not).
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #50
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,538
I say bullshit on anyone that thinks it don't help.

Think about the camouflage effect of a a black or grey car, 12% more likely to be in an accident.

The latest craze is to be all murdered out and no flashy colors...

Hi viz works, but so does white, its ALL ABOUT CONTRAST.

My next helmet will be solid white.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #51
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
My experience with Hiu Vis green is it fades very fast. 50K miles and it looks pretty pale and ugly.

Needs improvement.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #52
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
I think my lights are enough.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #53
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Heck, I just installed a 10,000 watt stereo and subs on my bike and jam Iron Maiden full blast so everyone can hear me. I'm also installing pyrotechnic lasers that shoot 500 feet in the sky so everyone can see me.

Oh yeah, I ride an 82 honda express.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #54
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
My next helmet will be solid white.
Good choice. For the more 'fashion conscious', my full face white helmet has some black graphics, but its mostly on the sides and back. Front on its mostly still all white.

With a little thought you can still buy a racey looking helmet that's pretty good from a viability point of view, and you don't have to tell no one. Just say you liked the color.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #55
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not really. The morons don't see fire truck with big flashing lights, neon paint and loud sirens. I doubt they will see me any better.

anyone who thinks their personal safety is dependent on someone else seeing them and giving a shit has already blown it.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 AM   #56
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
i donīt wear hi viz and most likely will not wear it in the future. it doesīt change anything. no matter if you wear it or not, you always have to act like youīre not being seen. you canīt trust anyone, cager or biker, to see you, no matter what you are wearing.
but, i donīt ride in cities, i avoid the "autobahn" as much as possible and i donīt commute. and i have loud pipes...

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #57
DavidM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
For fly-rides I always take my Remington hunting jacket bought in a Walmart in Wisconsin...

A 3000-year-old Hittite carving near Cappadocia, Turkey.

For tours on my own bike I wear a black Belstaff.
The French were trying to make it compulsory to wear hi-viz, but I think that's been scrapped now.

If it came to court, the "I didn't see him" excuse obviously wouldn't work if you're wearing hi-viz.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #58
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 699
I'm an atheist, so I don't easily believe in stuff without tangible proof that I can see, and that I can replicate. In my opinion, the statistics about adding hi viz clothes don't lie. If studies have shown that wearing hi viz reduces your likelihood to be in an accident, I believe them. While the studies don't conclusively prove causation (just correlation), I think a strong case can be made that hi viz reduces accidents.

In my own experience wearing a yellow Aerostich jacket, I have had drivers pull up next to me to check out my jacket and lift their sunglasses to see just how bright my jacket is. While it won't save me in every case (much like a seatbelt or airbags), if I have to make a pick, I'm rolling with the odds that say hi viz can help and backing it up with good armor and a sturdy helmet.

It's a belt-and-suspenders approach really; hope for the best (be visible and avoid an accident) and plan for the worst (armor and a helmet). Life is too short and too precious for me to accept any more risk than necessary. You can wear whatever you want (it's your life to risk), but as for me and mine, hi viz is the way we roll.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 AM   #59
tlempke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I wear a Hi Viz jacket and have reflective tape on my helmet. I work nights and ride all the time at night. I get a lot of looks at bike night but what do I care? It helps my piece of mind and whether it works or not I still ride like no one can see me on the road. ATHVGATT
tlempke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #60
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,439
I cannot find a reason that I should dress the same color as road and shadow.

I have looked up the road past the cars in front of me and NOT seen the motorcyclists dressed in all black and gray. They're the same color as pavement and shadow and not big enough to blot out the light as a tractor-trailer rig might.

I ride in thick fog where bright colored cars are visible far earlier than gray and tan. I ride in the rain fairly often.

I choose to wear a yellow Aerostich jacket which was "hi-viz" when they introduced it, but isn't near as bright as more recent introductions. It is not magic. It may help some drivers see me. It may not.

Other riders, or cagers, may not understand my reasoning. That misunderstanding is not limited to the color of my jacket but extends to why I ride or why I ride the motorcycles that I do. Their understanding or lack of understanding is not something I can fix.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote