Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #121
CrazyD2.0
We Havin Fun Yet?

Oddometer: 234
I wear the Olympia gear - jacket with some Hi-Viz, but not outlandishly so. I also have reflective "tiger" stripes that I put on my bike - black decal that reflects white when sun/headlights shine on it, with red reflective on back in same design. I know it has made me more visible because I watch people do that quick "double-take" when I approach them as they pull out of side-streets, etc. My wife driving behind me at night say I light up like an LED christmas tree. Last night, wife and I went for a walk. As we neared home, I watched a lady get into her car, which was partially blocking the sidewalk, forcing any walking by to go behind onto the road. We got to within 10 feet and we stopped, watched as she settled in, put stuff away, engine on, belt on, do this, do that, and sure enough put into reverse and started backing out before looking left/right (did look in her mirror, for what that was worth). We had on clothing that had reflective piping and strips, not much to be truthful, but had it. As her door passed over the sidewalk, you could see the shock on her face when she realized we were there. She rolled her window down and apologized profusely, but I said don't worry, we were anticipating...

Moral is, you can do only so much passively on your own ie: high-viz, loud machine, whatever, but you still need to maintain that extra step of "thinking for the other guy", and anticipate. No solution is perfect, but I think any effort gives you that extra day of life that otherwise may be taken from you.
CrazyD2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #122
Ceemack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
"There will still be people who don't notice you, so don't bother wearing it."

I had some fool pull right out in front of me a few years ago. Took a hell of a maneuver to avoid t-boning him. This was at night, and I was in my F150 with the lights blazing.

If I applied the typical anti-hi-viz "logic," I'd drive around with my lights off and just stay "alert".

Seems like the smart thing to do is leave the lights on, and stay alert just in case. Same with hi-viz gear. Wear it, but keep on riding like you're invisible.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #123
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
There is no substitute for a motorcyclist being attentive.
My mistake... I assume that anyone who puts themselves on a bike is paying attention to what they are doing!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #124
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
My mistake... I assume that anyone who puts themselves on a bike is paying attention to what they are doing!
The mistake would be to assume anyone who puts themselves in a car will see you, regardless of what you are wearing. You could be wearing red and blue blinking neon and they wouldn't see you if something else had captured their brain's attention. Contrary to popular belief, the human brain does not multi-task all that well and can both easily transfix and miss seeing things that are out of the ordinary.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #125
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,108
Non believer, I'm a very fast moving black blob.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #126
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
The mistake would be to assume anyone who puts themselves in a car will see you, regardless of what you are wearing. You could be wearing red and blue blinking neon and they wouldn't see you if something else had captured their brain's attention. Contrary to popular belief, the human brain does not multi-task all that well and can both easily transfix and miss seeing things that are out of the ordinary.

I notice that alertness in bikers, much less in cyclists.
Does hi-viz work for cyclists as well as for bikers?
Or is it that attentiveness that makes the difference?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #127
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,108
Thats a point, I moto ref for cycles and i have never seen a cyclist wear hi-viz. Never in a race or when they practice.
Maybe they don't fall for the hype because if it worked i would suppose they would be the last people that would want to be hit by a car....just saying.

Edit: Ironically, I do remember one girl that wore knee high hi-viz socks, she looked smoking hot and was a brilliant rider and beat most guys on the track.
she was killed 3- 4 years ago when she was run of the road by a car. And no, the socks had nothing to do with the accident, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP

Bollocks screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 04:27 PM
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #128
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
That would be a bad assumption. Just being on a bike doesn't make you an attentive rider. My brother crashed three times in one weekend because he kept letting himself get distracted by the scenery.

I suggested he might want to stop riding before he killed himself.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #129
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Non believer.
There is soooo much high vis stuff being worn everywhere you go - it's become normal work attire....... and nobody cares.
You can't go for lunch in a restaurant around here an not see 25% of the patrons wearing the stuff.
What once used to stand out is now so common, I don't ever notice it..... so why would anyone else.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #130
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,432
It makes a difference for sure.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #131
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
It makes a difference for sure.
Yep, it's not some magic force field which always protects you, but spring/autumn here when the light is dubious on the commute it cuts the 'near misses' 90% - it doesn't eliminate them, but it does improve the odds.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #132
simonm2211
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Improving odds

I remember reading somewhere that riding a motorcycle was 25 times (?) more likely to lead to a fatality than driving in a car per mile ridden or driven. Hi-viz is widely recognized in the construction, manufacturing & mining industries as being one of many effective strategies to limit injuries and fatalities around heavy mobile equipment by people whose job it is to improve safety. It seems a safe bet to me that it has a similar impact on the road.
simonm2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #133
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
I started riding in 1974 shortly after finishing college after surviving flying helicopters in Vietnam. Black was my go to color. I am, after all, a bad dude.

Then about 15 years ago my oldest son started riding. I bought him an orange helmet. Then my other two sons started riding and again bright helmets and bright jackets while I continued to wear black. One day as we were all going for a ride one of my sons asked me how many whys there were in hypocrisy.

Damn kids.

Enter the Olympia Hi-Viz. IMNHO I would suggest hiviz cuts down on the "I didn't see him" incidents by at least 50%. My kids all got HiViz for Christmas. My two Vanson black leather jackets are now closet queens.

A couple of other benefits. Cops seem to leave me alone more. I think it is because they "identify" with highway safety yellow. And when I am mounted on my big black ST1300 and also wearing my Shoei white helmet motorists will frequently move over and let me by. I guess they think I am the motorcycle highway safety guy.

One other observation (I can't help it, I was an Army Aviation Safety Officer) is small bikes vs. large bikes and this is with people, particularly women who clearly see me. If I am on a small bike (wife's Super Sherpa or GZ250) they are much more likely to pull out in front of me at the last second than if I am on say my ST1300 or r1200GS. Bitches...

OBX-RIDER screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 07:58 AM
OBX-RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #134
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Believer here. I rode my bike on a move from AZ to WA and my wife followed with the dogs in the car. It rained most of the way and I was usually 1/2 mile plus ahead of them. She said she had no problem keeping track of me. Unless terrain was in the way, she could easily spot me in traffic.
windypoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #135
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Believer.
I don't count on it at all, but I think it helps in being noticed.
The only downside to me of hi-viz jacket and white helmet is that I don't look as fashionable, but that is not a priority for me when I ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
... if you wear hi-viz its my experience your far less likely to get picked on by the cops. ...
One day I got berated by a cop when he caught me slowly lane splitting stationary traffic (not in CA): "Yer wearing all this bright 'n fancy safety gear and then drive this dangerously. You think yer special or sumthin?!".
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote