Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #196
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
my problem still is trusting the bike and tires to do the turn leaned way over. I know that they can, but the lizard brain in my freaks out. I suspect this is true for everyone not experienced and conditioned to really crank the bike over.

In terms of the street, I still have much work to do conditioning myself to really lean the bike over and trust it will make the turn. Unfortunatley, the public road is not the greatest place to practice this. Lots of variables, lots of obstacles, no runoff room if you fuck it up and usually a performance award from the cops when you do, hopefully without getting hurt.

My SV1000 isn't be most razor edge sportbike but it can flop over pretty hard.
Hi SJ,
Not sure anyone has specifically addressed your post, so here goes.

First of all, it's all about confidence. So the easiest one first, your bike. Not 100% sure but a quick google seems to confirm the SV1000 has damper rod front suspension the same as the smaller SV650. Got to go. Read up on correct weight springs and cartridge emulators and just do it. Don't argue. How old is the rear shock, more than 3 years? Get it professionally rebuilt. How old are your tires, replace them if more than 12 months old, and have the suspension professionally set up. With a bit of fine tuning of the cartridge emulators etc. you'll now have close enough to "a razor edge sportsbike" that will support your confidence. "Each percentage improvement in the handling of a bike gives a far greater percentage increase in rider confidence" - John's Law.

You mentioned the lack of confidence to "lean way over" a few times. I also admit I don't like doing that, mainly the fear catching a peg which nearly killed me once. That's why the goal is to keep the bike as upright as possible with a reduced lean angle. I'm far more confident in a turn with my body forward and out and the bike at a reduced lean angle than tipping the whole thing right over in a 'classic' style.

Practicing on the road - Even though I live in a major city, not to far away from any point is a popular 'motorcycle' road. Twistie, lots of variation, no intersections, used by riders on week-ends, tourists, and a million cops. But late in the afternoon on a work day, pretty quite. Join a club that does regular day rides is the quickest way to find all these roads. Riding with a club of good riders (not out of control cowboys) of itself is one of the fastest ways to build skill and confidence.

A 15 kilometer of so section of one of these roads makes a perfect practice track. Ride up and down this section of road till you know it like the back of your hand. A little faster each time practicing your technique. If something doesn't go right, go back and do the corner again. Repeat it over, and over, and over. Everyday for weeks if possible. I still ride my practice track at least once a week on a weekday afternoon in summer even after years.

What this does is lock a 'database' of various corner types in your mind. When you're riding an unfamiliar road your mind will see a corner and automatically relate it to corner type X of your practice road. You've been around it 100 times already and have practiced it, and are confident you can do it. You'll ride around this one with that exact same confidence.

P.S. At no time am I suggesting anyone ride beyond or even near their limit of ability.

Hope that gives some ideas.

JohnCW screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 05:04 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #197
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,506
Naw it's got cartridge forks, non rebuildable though. Got new springs ready to go in. For the back, in several weeks im going to get a proper vintage gsxr750 shock revalved and sprung properly. And handlebars >:-} im over the sportbike ergos. No spring chicken here anymore. But i love that engine sooo much.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #198
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Naw it's got cartridge forks, non rebuildable though. Got new springs ready to go in. For the back, in several weeks im going to get a proper vintage gsxr750 shock revalved and sprung properly. And handlebars >:-} im over the sportbike ergos. No spring chicken here anymore. But i love that engine sooo much.
Good stuff......

Wasn't quite sure re your reference to the handlebars. I'll take a punt that I'm an older 'chook' (perhaps just an Australian term) than you, so neither of my two bikes have aggressive bars. But my thinking is that a more upright sitting position is all the more reason to adopt an 'aggressive' turn position in advance of a high speed corner.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #199
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,506
Handlebars: switching from the stock wrist killing clipons to superbike bars. Higher, further back, wider. Comfy to ride and more leverage.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #200
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
My biggest takeaway from this thread is that I could never do gymkhana. Not because of lack of will, I think I could maybe pull that together. Bit I don't think I could ever learn the course. Ten seconds in, I'd be like, "Fuck! I'm so lost I may as well ride the rest of the way home."
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #201
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
My biggest takeaway from this thread is that I could never do gymkhana. Not because of lack of will, I think I could maybe pull that together. Bit I don't think I could ever learn the course. Ten seconds in, I'd be like, "Fuck! I'm so lost I may as well ride the rest of the way home."
Where do they get all those cones?
Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #202
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Either way you've got to raise your limits. Riding for years like an old woman is NOT experience.
For starters, I know a few women who would disagree with you.

Secondly, are you only a good rider if you ride on a track? I blatently disagree. You have never ridden with me, so you have no idea what my limits are and wether I NEED to push them or not. Usually, when I ride in a group, I'm with the medium group. I can keep up with the fast group no problem but, for me, it leaves too little a margin for error. The slow (read speed limit, suggested speed in corners) is way too slow for me to have a good time.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #203
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
hippiebrian, good points. i've wondered if joexr and wraithrider and some others wouldn't be more at home on a sportbike forum. I really never see anything in thier posts except how fast the twistys can be ridden.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #204
TurbStLCards
Doesn't Like Stuff

Oddometer: 58
This guy gets up and tells his friend that his brand new BMW S1000RR tires just couldn't handle the turn at the speed he was riding.

Oh lordy, people tell some tall tales. I can go twice as fast as this guy did on my Husky dual sport and not crash. He just target fixated on the guard rail. Happens all the time.

S1000RR Crash
TurbStLCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #205
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
"Don't hit the guardrail! Don't hit the guardrail! DON'T HIT THE GUARDRAIL!!!"

Bang!

"Must be something wrong with my bike. I stared right at the guardrail I was trying to avoid and the bike just wouldn't turn."
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #206
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
hippiebrian, good points. i've wondered if joexr and wraithrider and some others wouldn't be more at home on a sportbike forum. I really never see anything in thier posts except how fast the twistys can be ridden.
I know we have had our differences in the past , but please don't liken me to the ignorance of WR. As far as twisties , don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #207
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
I'm right there with ya!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #208
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Where do they get all those cones?
A witch convention.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #209
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
Being able to ride proficiently has no bearing on the type of bike you're riding.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #210
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Being able to ride proficiently has no bearing on the type of bike you're riding.
Just one of my favorite moto corner fail photos, gotta love the hand positioning:

tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote