Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #301
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
Even within the realm of beginning riders, when I discuss cornering with my MSF students I stress that cornering SETUP is the most critical part of cornering. Prepare and set up the corner BEFORE you enter it. This helps to avoid the panic reaction of mid-corner pucker that leads to cornering failure.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #302
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
^^ this... Identical experience, written more clearly with less words than I was going to
yup ... freeze in the middle of the turn.

hurts not to be relaxed.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #303
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
My confession . . .

I was riding home today and coming up to a nice tight S turn (tight right then tighter left) on a 40 mph two lane road. I've taken this turn hundreds of times and it is a highlight of my commute.

Today as I set up on the outside and downshift (late) my hand slips off the clutch lever making for a very abrupt shift and causing the rear tire to lose traction a bit. Not a huge deal, but it got me out of sync as my brain realized what happened. It also happened just as I started my lean to the inside and during the confusion I went back to a neutral position. So my bad setup is now sending me outside the double yellow and into the opposing lane which is a blind corner for oncoming vehicles. Now, I KNOW the following - I mean I REALLY KNOW the following:

1) The bike can corner way better than I push it;
2) The bike will go where I'm looking, so look through the turn.

So I know the above - give me a written test and I'll get 100%. But at the time my brain is thinking "I need to get over because a car coming around that turn can't see me" and "Boy, why can't I get over any quicker?". I realize what I am doing (staring at the apex of the opposing lane's turn) and skidaddle back into my lane.

The frustrating thing for me was that I didn't really KNOW the two things above. KNOW them in the sense of just reacting: look where I want to go and tighten my line. It took me time and distance to think and react - time and distance that I won't always have.

Maybe I just didn't ride enough this winter (damn snow and damn work), maybe it was a bad day, or maybe I just need to ride more. But logically knowing proper technique isn't the same implicitly knowing it. Thankfully that difference didn't bite me in the ass today.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #304
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Ride more. It should be instinct. No thought necessary. And above all , relax.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #305
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,899
Laugh if you will, but I have the SRs and the KC Rules typed up, laminated, and taped to my tank. I can recite them from memory for an exam, etc. It's not reading them that helps, it's seeing that little slip of white paper out of the corner of my eye that reminds me they exist and to avoid/apply them.

It was a revelation to read Spiegel and find out that taping notes to your bike is actually not a bad way to reinforce good technique. I thought I was just stupid.

So, in short, tape a note to your tank or IP.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #306
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Laugh if you will, but I have the SRs and the KC Rules typed up, laminated, and taped to my tank.
I googled SRs and the KC Rules:

Social Rehabilitation Services ( SRS ) - KS Resource Guide
www.ksresourceguide.org/srs.htm‎
KS Resource Guide - Social Rehabilitation Services (SRS) ... Adults W/ No Children; Standard Payment Guidelines (Adults w/no Children) (Income Guidelines) ...
Kansas city kansas srs office in Kansas City, KS - Yellowpages.com
www.yellowpages.com › Kansas City, KS‎
Yellowpages.com
Results 1 - 30 of 1603 - 1603 listings of Government Offices in Kansas City on YP.com. Find reviews, directions & phone numbers for the best kansas city kansas …

Somehow I don't think that's what you are talking about….
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #307
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,899
lol, busted!

In Twist of the Wrist, Keith Code has a list of things people do wrong undr panic and calls them survival rections or SRs. Roll off the gas, tighten on the bars, steering to target, braking errors, etc. The rules are the things like once the throttle is cracked open, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly and continuously throught the remainder of the turn or in any linked turns calculate the rolloff as carefully as you calculate the rollon. blah blah blah.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #308
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
He's right
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #309
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
This!
With so many poorly skilled riders in our country, I much prefer to have their single grasp of cornering knowledge be conscious counter steering input, not weight shifting and thinking that is what gets you around a corner.
TRUE! At least with a decent grasp of the basics of countersteering a LOT more crashes would be avoided, even on baggers and cruisers. Given that so many riders have no knowledge of cornering other than what the bike/rider naturally/comfortably do, it's little wonder that over 40% of crashes are single bikes loosing control and going off road.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #310
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
TRUE! At least with a decent grasp of the basics of countersteering a LOT more crashes would be avoided, even on baggers and cruisers. Given that so many riders have no knowledge of cornering other than what the bike/rider naturally/comfortably do, it's little wonder that over 40% of crashes are single bikes loosing control and going off road.
I wonder if pullback bars confuse things. The principle seems more clear for me with simple European style bars.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #311
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
This happened a couple miles from where I used to live. There is barely a corner there. "Speed and alcohol are suspected to be contributing factors." If you look at it in Google Earth, you'll struggle hard to find a corner.

Ground clearance, body position, what kind of handle bars, or phase of the moon aren't factors. People just can't control a motorcycle, end of story.
SERIOUS INJURY MOTORCYCLE CRASH - HIGHWAY 99W SOUTH OF DUNDEE (PHOTO)

News Release from Oregon State Police

Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers are continuing the investigation into Saturday evening's critical injury motorcycle crash that occurred on Highway 99W about one mile south of Dundee in Yamhill County. The operator's name is released in this upd ate. He is still in critical condition.

According to Sergeant Jose Orosco, on March 22, 2014 at approximately 6:50 p.m., a 2005 Yamaha motorcycle operated by CURTIS M. PETERSON, age 24, from Newberg, was southbound on Highway 99W near milepost 28 and failed to negotiate a curve. The motorcycle traveled off the highway and the operator was ejected, coming to rest in a grassy area adjacent to the highway.

PETERSON was transported by air ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center and is in critical condition. He was wearing a protective helmet.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #312
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,429
Im not seeing any curve....

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #313
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
The marks in the gravel are from his ABS?

Looks recoverable, IF one were to keep their wits about them.
Not carrying too much speed would help immensely, but I suppose that wasn't the case.
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #314
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Speed + Alcohol + Poor Rider Skills = Bad Juju
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #315
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 705
It may have been said before but Twist Of The Wrist II (book or Video) puts everything about cornering in to prospective.