ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Best shop for gear?

I am looking for a off road helmet, goggles and boots to start. All of the shops within an hour from me in hilton head SC (the shops I have found anyway) carry very little selection. Since these are the hardest to size I was hoping to try em on in person. Can anyone help me out please :)
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 196
Hilton Head isn't exactly motorcycle central. Even in larger towns all shops don't carry a lot of gear. You'll either have to travel to a larger town or shop on the net.
Many places on the net like motorcyclesuperstore.com have free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount. You could order gear, try it on and return if it doesn't fit. You would have to pay some for return shipping.

2010 Ducati Multistrada, 2007 KTM Superduke, 2005 DR650
falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcofred View Post
Hilton Head isn't exactly motorcycle central. Even in larger towns all shops don't carry a lot of gear. You'll either have to travel to a larger town or shop on the net.
Many places on the net like motorcyclesuperstore.com have free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount. You could order gear, try it on and return if it doesn't fit. You would have to pay some for return shipping.
Thanks, paying for return shipping is something im trying to avoid for sure.

I was thinking of driving to Savannah or Charleston but wanted to get some recon before making the trip :)

It just took me a while to find my road helmet and boots and I feel like i would pay to ship back a few + helmets and boots before finding the right fit
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
AJay112
AJay112

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Moto View Post
I am looking for a off road helmet, goggles and boots to start. All of the shops within an hour from me in hilton head SC (the shops I have found anyway) carry very little selection. Since these are the hardest to size I was hoping to try em on in person. Can anyone help me out please :)
I always give Motorcyclegear.com first shot. I have had GREAT customer service there.

Lots of folks don't like "their" local store but I have had great luck with Cycle Gear in Fayetteville and Atlanta (Marietta.) Actually over the last three years or so I have purchased three Shoei Helmets, A-Star track suit, multiple pairs of track boots, race gauntlets, goggles, filters.. etc.
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
not sure of anything down that way. ive had great service from Brian at atomic moto
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #6
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,301
One of the online places I shop at covers return shipping on size issues for the first swap. Can't remember which one it is, but think it's either www.rockymountainatv.com or www.motosport.com. Take a look. Typically reasonable prices too.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I believe there is a Cycle Gear in Charleston.
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 396
Second the motion on atomic moto and rockymountainatv. I've also had good luck with Revzilla.

It's not really close to you but worth mentioning that competition accessories has big showroom in Rock Hill SC.

Oh, and www.acmeridersupply.com has some deals. Local guy and inmate here in Atlanta. Great guy to deal with.

Good luck! Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
not sure of anything down that way. ive had great service from Brian at atomic moto
atomic for the win
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
brakedw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
+1 cycle gear in charleston has a pretty decent selection of the items you are looking for and good hours. not far from there is a powersports motorsports with an ok selection as well.
Good luck
brakedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks for all the leads everyone! Much appreciated

I just found the owners thread for my bike and have been focused on farkles for a lil bit now haha

'cept the thread just stopped loading for me and is giving me the white screen with no error message :( And someone has responded to one of my newb questions too!

Thanks again all, I will look into these options

btw I am thinking about gettin the Gaerne Oiled D/S boots and a fox v2 anthem helmet and http://shop.foxhead.com/store/produc...026%3Acat20066

not sure about goggles and armor yet...does anyone have a few words of advice on those or a link to read up on. I know very little about dirt/DS gear
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedw View Post
+1 cycle gear in charleston has a pretty decent selection of the items you are looking for and good hours. not far from there is a powersports motorsports with an ok selection as well.
Good luck
I am heading up to the cycle gear in Charleston this saturday. I chanced a helmet online and doesn't fit quite right so I am going to return it and try on some more!

That's the only thing left on my list is helmet and goggles.

I got everything else from motorcycle-superstore, atomic-moto, crf's only, soloracer, amazon and cycle gear :)