ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 180
4 Corners

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip out of Houston toward the 4 corners area, the second week of June.
Im looking for a good campground to stage out of. I know there is a koa or some such near but I would rather skip that if possible. I will be riding a Triumph Explorer for this and plan on camping.
I know the Grand Canyon is about 4 hours to the south and Mountment Valley is in the area as well. The arches?
What are the good roads to get around on in that area? This will be a new bike to me and my dirt days are WAY in the past. So lets keep it gravel or better. Love the 2 lane twisties.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Dave
Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Canyon de Chelly?

Website

Stayed there last summer. Close to a bunch of stuff. $10 a night IIRC.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,068
Four corners

The actual Four Corners area isn't worth a dam. You will want to make your way To the Million Dollar Hwy which makes a circle from Cortez CO up to Telluride and then down through Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton and then Durango. This will be a must do. From there you can make your way to the Grand canyon and Death Valley and they are good destinations but not that great a riding in my opinion if you are planning on stay on the road most of the time.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
The actual Four Corners area isn't worth a dam. You will want to make your way To the Million Dollar Hwy which makes a circle from Cortez CO up to Telluride and then down through Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton and then Durango. This will be a must do. From there you can make your way to the Grand canyon and Death Valley and they are good destinations but not that great a riding in my opinion if you are planning on stay on the road most of the time.
yep.

I suppose the 4 corners is one of those places you have to go to say you've been there but after you've gone you're left with that "fuck, I should have spent my time elsewhere" feeling.

Not worth it IMO.

Million $ HWY loop is mo betta.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
Canyon de Chelly?

Website

Stayed there last summer. Close to a bunch of stuff. $10 a night IIRC.
if you're going to go down to Canyon de Chelly from 4 corners I would suggest route 13 instead of the 191.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
if you're going to go down to Canyon de Chelly from 4 corners I would suggest route 13 instead of the 191.
That looks like a pretty good road. the best roads has some stuff in it as well.
Should be a good time.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
yep.

I suppose the 4 corners is one of those places you have to go to say you've been there but after you've gone you're left with that "fuck, I should have spent my time elsewhere" feeling.

And it's going to be hotter than a whore on payday the 2nd week of June. I wouldn't base out of that area I'd just plan to camp somewhere new (and cooler) as you work your way around some of the areas mentioned.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
This is some good advice. After spending a night or two in Durango, I'd beat feet for the Grand Canyon/Flagstaff/Williams/Sedona/Prescott. Stay North of Prescott and try not to dip below 4500ft. if you can help it.
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
Stay North of Prescott and try not to dip below 4500ft. if you can help it.
Definitely stay north of Prescott. You don't want to be bumping into that Rattlecan guy.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

I knew it would be hot

Yeah, I knew it would be hot but vacation is time away from work so I will figure something out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Heading north out of Monument Valley on 163 you'll want to go north on 261. It will take you up to the top of the Bluff for a great view. Head back down and at the base you'll turn left on Valley of the Gods. Its a dirt road that any road bike can manage. It will take you back to 163 with some nice views.

As others stated four corners is a place to check off and nothing more. There are TONS of great riding in nearly any direction from there.

Have fun!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

Hey Guys

I had a great ride and a great trip.
There is so much great country and so many great roads in that area.
I staged out of Mesa Verde and even spent a day just in the park!

here is the link to some of the pictures I took.
I will get back there again.

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/Dav...corners%20trip
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
I had a great ride and a great trip.
There is so much great country and so many great roads in that area.
I staged out of Mesa Verde and even spent a day just in the park!

here is the link to some of the pictures I took.
I will get back there again.

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/Dav...corners%20trip
Great photos - thanks for the link. You certainly had the right bike for your trip!
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

right, wrong or otherwise GOD what a trip.

I need to get back to that area. WAY to may roads that I did not get to ride and places that I need to see....well maybe not need but dam sure WANT to see.

Thanks
Da Monk