User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Oddometer: 102
Glacier National Park

Sorry for the delay but other stuff came up that needed to be attended to. So at around 1430 we arrive at Glacier National Park.

I have always wanted to see this place and I finally made it. Let me just say this, it didn't disappoint. We entered at St. Mary and followed the Going to the Sun Rd.

Just entering the Park

More road construction. These guys were down from Canada (Vancouver I think)
Nice bunch of guys we got to talk for a little while at construction stops

St Mary Lake

These pictures don't do the awesome beauty of this place justice. Riding through here is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it!!

Another picture from the cockpit.

Lake McDonald

Happy Rider!!!
hoser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
out rider
Nearing the end

Oddometer: 596
You should have gotten a room at the motel with the spring in White Sulphur Springs, MT. After being in the saddle all day those pools are well worth it. That and the chicken at the Mint Bar just up the block is to die for. Just don't go durning the Labor day weekend as the rodeo is in town as it is packed!

I've been over Glacier about a dozen times and you are so right, none of the pictures taken by anyone do justice. Every time I've seen it it's like seeing it for the first time.

There, now you have a reason to go back. Not that you need one.

Nice ride report by the way and great pictures.
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 755
Fantastic! More please.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by out rider View Post
You should have gotten a room at the motel with the spring in White Sulphur Springs, MT. After being in the saddle all day those pools are well worth it. That and the chicken at the Mint Bar just up the block is to die for. Just don't go durning the Labor day weekend as the rodeo is in town as it is packed!

I've been over Glacier about a dozen times and you are so right, none of the pictures taken by anyone do justice. Every time I've seen it it's like seeing it for the first time.

There, now you have a reason to go back. Not that you need one.

Nice ride report by the way and great pictures.
We tried all of the hotels in town and they were booked up from road crews. We ended up just on the outskirts called the All Seasons Inn. Nice place and very friendly service. It did have a Hot Tub and you are right that does help with relaxing, especially with a couple of frosty adult beverages:
We are planning another trip this year so you never know, we may go back.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Day 6

Kalispell - Bozeman
So we finished up our ride through Glacier and rode out to Kalispell. Once again our first 5 hotels that we tried were sold out so we ended up at a Motel 6. Very accommodating to bikers and the rooms were clean. While we were unpacking our bikes another group of bikers rode in. As I was walking down from my room to say hello to them one of the guys dropped his Ultra on its side. By the time I got there they had the bike on its stand. I asked if he was ok and he didn't seem too talkative at that point. I understood so I left him alone. Up early and on to Bozeman:

Riding through Seely Lake on September 11, we passed the Fire Department Paying tribute on to the fallen firefighters from 9/11. I don't know how long they stood there for but it was at least for the 25 minutes that i was there.

One of these days I'll learn to shoot with the sun at my back!!

Absolutely perfect day, not a cloud in the sky and perfect temperatures

We stopped for gas in Avon (i think) and we came across these Dual Sport Bikes.
I have a KLR 650 that I rode out to Colorado last year (A soon to be coming Ride Report) so I started talking to the owners of these bikes. They were from Canada and were on holiday also. They said that they got caught in some heavy winds and they did not enjoy that part of the ride. I knew the feeling as last year I rode my KLR across Kansas at a 45 degree angle.

In fact it was so miserable that I bought my Harley in Colorado and shipped the KLR home!

Have I mentioned how beautiful Montana is?

We made it into Bozeman stayed at a Comfort Inn, bought a 12 pack for the hot tub at the local WalMart, did some laundry and ate some Bar-B-Que.
It doesn't get much better than that. The perfect end to a perfect day of riding.

Stats for the day. Tomorrow on to Yellowstone and still no Buffalo sightings!!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #21
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Day 7 Yellowstone North to South

So today we left Bozeman with no wind and bright sunshine. Our destination was Yellowstone National Park. So we took I-90 down to 89 and headed south into the park entering at the north Gate

It was a beautiful ride in but we could see some ominous looking clouds to the south .

Still bright and sunny but that would soon change. One of the best aps on my phone is called "my radar". it is great for seeing what kind of weather lies ahead However, in order for it to work you need to be able to connect to the internet on your phone. Being spoiled from all of my internet access in the Chicago area I never thought that there would not be any internet in Yellowstone (duh). So we lost our radar capability about an hour into the park, not that it would have changed anything at that point.

Time to put on the rain gear as it drizzled throughout the whole rest of the park.

Traffic wasn't to bad except for one a$#@^(* in a camper that passed Jim on a curve coming out of Old Faithful and came inches from hitting him. No pictures it all happened too fast.

Riding through here I realized that when the end of the world comes, I am currently riding on the epicenter of it!!

People waiting to see Old Faithful

Almost ready to blow

Old Faithful

Thar she blows!!!

The rain is just starting to let up as we enter Grand Teton National Park

Jim really is having a good time!!

Unfortunately the tops of the Grand Tetons were covered by clouds

Looking South at the Tetons, it looks like the rain will stop

My trusty steed, what a great motorcycle

Well we decided to take off our rain gear as we left the Tetons and headed for Jackson Wy. on our way to pocatello Id. via Idaho Falls. We went over Teton pass which was another great ride and the clouds rolled in again and we got slammed with rain. It looked like it would just blow over so we didn't bother putting our rain gear back on. Let me just say BIG MISTAKE!!! It poured on us for about 10 minutes completely soaking us. Did I mention that I purchased heated jacket liner and gloves for this trip. Didn't plug this in either(duh)!! It was a cold wet ride to Pocatello as Idaho falls had something going on and rooms were in short supply.

Stats for the day
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #22
Bullspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Nice ride

I am enjoying your ride report. Thanks for putting it together!
Bullspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
I am enjoying your ride report. Thanks for putting it together!
I'm enjoying doing it, Thanks for reading.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #24
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Yellowstone to Cody

After playing in the rain yesterday today we woke up to bright sunny skies. Our plan was to head back north and enter Yellowstone through West Yellowstone.

Heading into Yellowstone

I liked the ride from this direction better than yesterdays ride, maybe the weather had something to do with it.

I know that in the past few years yellowstone has had some devastating wildfires. It was depressing to see the devastation left by these fires.

Before

After
Most of the fire damage that we saw was on the east side of the park.

More geysers

A forest starting to regrow after a fire from a few years back.

This is a beautiful part of the country

Finally Buffalo!!! Note the knucklehead in the brown shirt walking toward the Buffalo. There are signs everywhere warning you not to approach the animals. Guess this guy can't read. I turned on my video camera hoping to see the Buffalo charge this guy but no such luck!

Beautiful Lake Yellowstone

More devastation

More beauty

From here we headed east towards Cody Wy. The skies were threatening again and my trusty radar showed rain moving towards us. This system would keep us in Cody for a couple of days.

Stats for the day
Old 02-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Bighorn National Forest

We got in last night just before the rain and hunkered down in a nice motel right on the edge of Cody. My camera batteries went dead once we got out of Yellowstone which was a bad thing since the ride to Cody was a nice ride, so sorry no pictures.

Today we got up and the weather looked bad again so we decided to hangout in Cody for a day or two. This is the nice thing about not having an itinerary and extra time built into the trip, it gives us options. Our plan was to leave Sunday Morning and do Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass. We were both really looking forward to Beartooth so we were willing to wait. We got up Sunday and the weather looked okay but there was more rain coming in from the Northwest heading right at Beartooth Pass.

It looked like we might make it until the weather report said that the ceiling was 7,000 feet. We'll Beartooth Pas is around 12,000 feet so we decided to wait one more dayy and take a ride east on 14a into the Big Horn national Forest and ride back into Cody on 14. All in all another great day, once we got through the clouds.

Heading up into the mountains again.

It was a little chilly today

Heading up through the clouds

The nice thing about these clouds was that they were relatively low lying and scattered

In case you haven't noticed, Jim always seems to be in front of me. One reason is that I have Rush Exhaust Pipes on My Road King and they are LOUD. I know this because I used to ride behind this bike before I bought it and I used to tell the old owner the same thing. The other reason is that he sets a great pace.

Entering Bighorn National Forest

Great Canyon riding, lots of slow easy curves and some twisties to keep you on your toes

Great day that we finished at the Bar-B-Que joint next to our hotel, I think it's called Bubbas. Great Food and very reasonable.

Stats for the day
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #26
mabuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Looks like a great trip, thanks for all the pics.
mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #27
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Sorry for the long delay but, work caught up to me so now I can stop and breathe again. But while I was on hiatus from this blog I sold both of my bikes, the KLR and the 04 Road King. I then bought a 2009 ultra, For those of you following this blog you may have seen it, its the black beauty that Jim is riding, He just bought a 2014 Tri-Glide so I bought Jims 09 Ultra. Woo Hoo
This winter can't get over soon enough for me
And now back to the show
Day 11.
After spending the weekend in Cody the weather finally broke and we were able to start our journey home, but first a little side trip up Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass

Riding up Chief Joseph Highway

Looking at the road that we have to go down. Great roads!!

We were coming around a corner and came across this livestock, luckily they were just off the road

Getting closer to the top

Starting back down, it was pretty chilly when we were up there but my Gerbings kept me warm!

I had this view for most of the trip(loud pipes save lives, and annoy riding buddies!)

We stopped at this pull off to check out this canyon

Spectacular views every where we turned, it was just never ending

More to come..........
Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #28
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Great report!
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #29
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Great report!
X2

Did St. Louis to Yellowstone last time, and planning to do Glacier this year. Enjoyed some of the same roads you did, and actually might have liked Chief Joe more than BTP, but found Red Lodge to be a great little town.

You'll really enjoy your new 09. It just feels better than the prior frame.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
hoser54 OP
just havin' fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Great report!
Thanks