User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Andy Strapz Bags - Quick Review

Borrowed Dirt Rider X's (Cole) Aussie made Andy Strapz soft bags for use on my recent Cape Melville 5 day ride.

My KTM 640 Adv, Andy Strapz Bags secured to SW Motech Pannier racks.

Cole had used them once on his DRZ, so this was there second outing, the seam down one bag shit itself, needed a bush repair of sweing the seam up with cable ties (luckily these held), both straps to hold it to the pannier rack snapped off (bush repair of rope to hold it on to stop it flapping around) and one of the bottle carriers at the back crapped itself (I lost the bottle but more importantly, the litre of water in itl).

All in all not that big a fan. I had borrowed this set to evaluate them before buying my own. I am now not sure what to do My Alu H&B Bags fit the racks but they are just to big for that sort of thing.

Perhaps the country was to rough for the bags, it was pretty hard going

On the up side, the pannier racks performed superbly, two thumbs up for SW Motech !
Trevor S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Return them to Andy - he won't be happy that this has occurred! He had a web site some wheres ... google and send him email - point to this thread. He did the right thing when some of his straps were not good enough.

Short term I'd think ewe'd get new ones.
Longer term he'll want to do something to eliminate the failures .. big greg ? (or someone else) used these bags and was happy with them?

---- Me?
I'm not happy with velcro - told it fails to perform when muddy - apparently the loops become mud bound and won't mate with the hooks. I'd prefer the plastic snaps (fasteck is one brand I think).
I'm trying some of those Pelican cases - 1550s - they would be better as top loaders. As cases if you pack them out the lid tends to distort exposing the sealing edge. Might reinforce that edge.

Frank Warner screwed with this post 09-05-2005 at 09:45 PM
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
Return them to Andy - he won't be happy that this has occurred!
I have them in the local canvas shop being repaired as we speak. They said $30 to do the four repairs.

Quote:
---- Me?
I'm not happy with velcro -
That could easily be swapped out with some click together attachments or buckles ? My mates home made bags on his 640 where using buckles and seat belt webbing, the metal buckles "buckled" .. if that makes sense ! (he had two spare plastic buckles with him and swapped 'em out, the plastic buckles lasted) , I never had to take the the bags off, negating the need for velcro in this instance anyhoo. Worst case, in the field, if the mud casue a temporary issue when you trued to put 'em back on, just tie the ends of the pannier straps with a reef knot
Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor S
I never had to take the the bags off, negating the need for velcro in this instance anyhoo. Worst case, in the field, if the mud casue a temporary issue when you trued to put 'em back on, just tie the ends of the pannier straps with a reef knot
Think the velcro is so they fit on different bikes.

Yep - reef knots work.
For straps.
But not for glove closures
Old 09-21-2005, 03:13 AM   #5
Andy Strapz
Andy

Oddometer: 13
such a shame

It’s a damn shame you didn’t talk to me, Trevor. I really need to see product that fails in order to improve the designs or instructions. We take warranty issues very seriously. We really care about the quality of the stuff we make. If they needed replacement or repair we would have happily done so.

I have so many questions!

Was the bike dropped on the panniers? How much weight was placed in each bag? The only time a side seam on a bag has split was when a guy crashed after hitting a cow. The bike landed on the bags, bursting the bag seam. Did you read the instructions? Where did the straps that "hold it to the pannier rack" snap? Did the webbing or stitching fail or was it chaffing on a sharp metal edge? Were the bags supported on these straps at all?

As the issues you described are the first to come to my attention, the panniers were either faulty in some way or they were fitted and used wrong (or possibly a combination of both). I have studied the photo posted with your review. The bags may be fitted in such a way that they are placing too much stress on the main straps and the lower retaining straps. The idea is that throw over panniers hang down, not out from the frames. In heavy country this would place unnecessary stress on the attachment points. They also look to be behind the centre of the rear axle, not an ideal place for panniers. I wonder if this contributed to the stress on the bags? There is a lot of stress amplified and transmitted to luggage the further behind the rear axle it is mounted, especially on a bike that is ridden through very rough country or even jumped.

I can’t explain the "crapping" of the pocket, it’s also a first. What do you mean? It may have been contributed to by the above theory on luggage placement.

Then there’s the debate about clips vs velcro. Pannier straps shouldn’t get covered in mud. Even if a bike goes down in a quagmire, the velcro join in the straps would be protected by the fact that they are joined. Allowing mud to dry and whacking the item against a tree will clear it admirably. The most common problem with velcro is the hook side getting filled with lint which stops the hooks gripping the loop. The best fix for this is to gently comb the hook tapes clean.

Fastex clips are the ones we use. They are one of the best available but they will still break under force (I test all samples I get sent by reps with a hammer). They can be more cumbersome to adjust than the velcro straps as you have to feed the webbing through. Buckles or clips would also be very uncomfortable for a pillion to sit on if we used them on the main straps. Once broken they are difficult to replace "in the field" as there are so many types on the market. Everything in its correct environment! I’d never consider the use of velcro in places such as the lower retaining straps for example.

Again, we take product failure (which is very rare), very seriously and are always looking for ways to improve our equipment.

Kind regards

Andy

Andy Strapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Strapz
[size=2]It’s a damn shame you didn’t talk to me, Trevor. If they needed replacement or repair we would have happily done so.
I replied to Andy in an email.. answering his questions (I hope to his satisfaction). They wern't my bags as stated in the original post, they were loaners from a mate, so I never contacted Andy in regards repairs.

As to sending them back, I figured for $30 (the cost of the repairs at a local shop) it would cost me 1/2 that just in postage to send 'em down.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
Asshat
Banned

Oddometer: 2,371
timely thread as i have been very happy with all my AndyStrapz items......

http://www.andystrapz.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73290

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97234

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...highlight=andy

i REALLY dig the piggy back straps.....man can you spend hours in the parking lot exploring the Art of Packing with these bad boys!!

carry on andy!

regards,
terry

ps - dont git too upset about people/customers going to the internet before contacting the mfg about a product.....this is the nature of our wonderful culture of humans (and various sub species)...."shit on em before you give em a chance to help you...Vicarious Discontent."

Ashhat screwed with this post 09-21-2005 at 08:15 AM
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
NCbub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
My hats off to Andy for the reply. I'm not useing any of his products at this time but you can bet I will take a close look at what he has to offer now.

It's nice to see someone how takes an active role in how their products are used and designed. Andy please post a link to your website, my wife is looking for some bags for her F650.

Again thanks for making products for our sport!

Dewayne
Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
Asshat
Banned

Quote:
I replied to Andy in an email.. answering his questions (I hope to his satisfaction). They wern't my bags as stated in the original post, they were loaners from a mate, so I never contacted Andy in regards repairs.
hummmm.....the fact that the bags werent yours did stop you from allowing the mfg to perform warranty service....but didnt stop you from posting a negative review....thats pretty nutty mate.

regards,
terry
Old 09-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grd4Spd
hummmm.....the fact that the bags werent yours did stop you from allowing the mfg to perform warranty service....but didnt stop you from posting a negative review....thats pretty nutty mate.
Dude, grow up and stop being a twat... I didn't post a negative OR positive review. I posted WHAT happened to the bags when I used them... I did NOT post any comments one way or the other on the after sales support.

I didn't grab the bags and say there where crap without using them (that would be a negative review), I didn't grab the bags and say they where great without using them, that's what guys in bike magazines do.

How the hell is contacting the manufacturer going to impact HOW THE BAGS performed ? That would be how the after sales service performed.

I know that I personally like reading users reports on how equipment performed (exactly what I posted) I also like reading users reports on how suppliers dealt with problems, if they occured, as well but this is not what I posted.

The repairs cost me $30, the cost of repairs if I sent it to Andy even if he dd them for FREE would have been about the same in postage, rationally it made sense for me to have them repaired locally !

20 guys can come in and say how good they are and it performed exceptionlly well for them, that doesn't take away from the fact they spilt apart when I used 'em. This is a discussuin forum after all.

You had better jump on Mike O, after all he said his H&B bars failed on his BMW...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Asshat
Banned

Quote:
Dude, grow up and stop being a twat... bars failed on his BMW...
trevor.......go fuck yo sef.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
You had better jump on Mike O, after all he said his H&B bars failed on his BMW...

Same goes for most of us on bmws E.G.

---
Anyways too late now to see what happened to those bags Trevor. Trust they are still in use.

Links to Andy Strapz

Home page - clickys to products und things

Pirce page - in OZie dollars - he'll do overseas too but the page anit up for it.

I have not personally used his products but have seen them in use and seen recalls. Only person I know of with a failure is Trevor S ... but it anit a large sample. Never the less I have looked at his stuff and it does look good.

Edit - I've also seen some of his products in use - did the job.

Frank Warner screwed with this post 09-21-2005 at 07:19 PM
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #13
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Same goes for most of us on bmws E.G.
DOH ! You will be on the twat's shit list now Can't report what happened to any equipment or gear you ever used ... it's verbooten
Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grd4Spd
trevor.......go fuck yo sef.
but I don't know anyone called "yo sef"
Old 09-22-2005, 12:40 AM   #15
rjf