ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I'll be on a Super Tenere....thanks for the info, I've never heard of that road...something to put ON THE LIST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Just up from Campmilehigh is Heintooga Roundbottom Road, an 28 mile one way dirt road that takes you down to Cherokee. It was closed all this year with all the govt. b.s. but hopefully will be open next year. Not sure what type of bike you will be on but I have taken an FJR down it without issue.

'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Pisgah Inn

Try to have time for a meal at the Pisgah Inn. If you get to Maggie Valley be sure to make a stop at Wheels Through Time. A stop at Grandfather Mountain is a nice diversion as is the ride to the top of Mount Mitchell. The Great Smokey Mountains National Park and Cades Cove is a good ride.

The weather in May can be pretty unpredictable so bring lots of layers and good rain gear.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #18
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,940
Ya'll need more than 6 days to fit all this in.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
Ya'll need more than 6 days to fit all this in.
The more suggestions I get, the more I search the maps....I'm up to 17 days so far....I really wanted to do something Spring Break with the kids, but I guess they can sit home since I need all my vacat for this 1 trip.

Well, we may make it a series of several 4 day trips every other week for 3 months or so.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #20
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
i camp at BRMC in Cruso. After coffee, breakfast, and breaking down camp i load up and head out. I normally get to willville around 2-4pm. if at all possible, you want to be at willville on friday night. theres really good bluegrass on fri nights about 15 miles from there, a little town called floyd. I avoided it for years because of deer after dark. Now i just ride really slow :) 13 deer and a black bear on my last ride back to willville at dusk.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #21
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
The more suggestions I get, the more I search the maps....I'm up to 17 days so far....

Well, we may make it a series of several 4 day trips every other week for 3 months or so.

This really is not a bad plan unless you want the feather in your cap for going straight through...

My personality leads me to explore and I have a really hard time staying on the BRP for a long period of time although it is my favorite road. The section from Cherokee to Asheville is outstanding. Speed around Asheville drops to 35 and is patrolled since people use it to commute. Skyline is also 35 and that is also hard to handle for miles and miles.

There are some great dirt roads right off the parkway to explore. The area around Mills River near Asheville is nice and connects back to 276. Take the time to do some of the short hikes if possible. Devils Courthouse is short but steep and offers great views.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #22
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Just up from Campmilehigh is Heintooga Roundbottom Road, an 28 mile one way dirt road that takes you down to Cherokee. It was closed all this year with all the govt. b.s. but hopefully will be open next year. Not sure what type of bike you will be on but I have taken an FJR down it without issue.

Nice rig, is there a fuel cell in the hack? A Sporty with a side car and a stock tank can't go to far! AB:-)
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #23
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
I've been doing some studying....Cherokee or Cruso the first night, then somewhere around the Roanoke area for night #2.....
That's pretty ambitious. The speed limit on BRP is 35mph (enforced) and the scenery deserves that you don't rush.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 07:29 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #24
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
Nice rig, is there a fuel cell in the hack? A Sporty with a side car and a stock tank can't go to far! AB:-)
Thanks, I sold it a couple years ago and really wish I would have kept it. Hindsight.

No fuel cell, it was bare bones. I had a 100 mile range. When I sold it I rode it 960 miles to Iowa to deliver it, rented a car and bought a BMW/Hannigan rig in Missouri and rode it home. Ironically due to the worse mileage of the BMW my range is only 120 miles.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #25
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
One day I will find a hack for my shovel. AB:-)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #26
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Are you going to be two-up on the Tenere?
My wife prefers to rider there, park up and jump on the back of me till we are ready for the next leg.
The problem with me is I'm not interested in smelling the roses, I'm looking at the map thinking" That looks a wicked road!" She's looking going " Oh, look there's a water fall there" so we have to compromise.

Wife's looking over my shoulder and just shouted!
"ya, your terrible for that!!"

Who me?????

BMW F800R Grin factor 10
Old 01-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
gosling1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
That's pretty ambitious. The speed limit on BRP is 35mph (enforced) and the scenery deserves that you don't rush.
Actually, the speed limit on the majority of the Parkway is 45 mph. It does drop down to 35 mph around congested areas, etc. - you can expect more enforcement in those zones naturally...
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #28
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1 View Post
Actually, the speed limit on the majority of the Parkway is 45 mph. It does drop down to 35 mph around congested areas, etc. - you can expect more enforcement in those zones naturally...
It also depends on who stops you. I was clocked doing 68 in a 35 up there and the officer just gave me a warning when he saw I was a local. You would think it would be worst cu's I know better.

"Keep it down son, I know how those Triumphs get away from ya"

I should have offered him some of the illegal Moonshine I had in my panniers....shit, I bet he buys from the same guy on Brown Mtn

BMW F800R Grin factor 10
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #29
Married Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
My favorite restaurant

http://www.oddfellascantina.com/

This place is in Floyd, VA. There are some B&B's in town. Friday, Saturday and Sunday is live bluegrass at the Floyd Country Store. It's a neat little town and only a short ride from Willville Motorcycle Campground in Meadows of Dan, VA.
Doug
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #30
MargaritaMotoress
AKA Tigger

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
People can flame me but Cherokee is a hole and if you get stuck in traffic there are very few places to pass.

Edit: Very important, DO NOT ride the parkway at dusk.
Common sense, but you don't want the trip cut short because of a deer.

Rode from ME to NM last Oct and home across the south and north up The Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ride Parkway. Must admit - Cherokee is a hole. Skip it. Holly Springs and other areas are nicer. Also - We got off at 181 Jonas Ridge Hwy just south of Linville and continued north on 221 to Deep Gap. Awesome riding.

Visit my blog for pictures and details: MargaritaMotoress.WordPress.com
MargaritaMotoress is offline   Reply With Quote