ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #31
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaritaMotoress View Post

Visit my blog for pictures and details: MargaritaMotoress.WordPress.com

Great write up on the 221, thats one of my favorite roads around here.
I'v been riding it for 12 years and it's only after someone pointed it out to me did I notice this....

Thats lens angel thats making it look that close, but thats the Linville Cove Viaduct looking up from the 221, as you know looking up while riding the 221 is not a good idea so I had never seen it + if you've riden that road as many times as we have you can take it at 55+ most of the way.

The Self-Preservation Society
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #32
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1 View Post
Actually, the speed limit on the majority of the Parkway is 45 mph. It does drop down to 35 mph around congested areas, etc. - you can expect more enforcement in those zones naturally...
See, that's what I get for making statements from memory. Must'a been the Skyline Drive.

Either way it felt like I was holding back quite often.

Mount Mitchell was a worthwile side trip. Highest point east of the Mississippi.

We went from Roanoke to Boone and stayed the night and then Boone to Cherokee the following day. All told we took 4 days from Front Royal to Cherokee and I would've liked to taken longer with more side trips One highlite was the Music Center. Could've stayed there for hours.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
I have ridden the BRP a few times. When conditions are right, nice weather and light traffic, it's a great ride. It is not unusual to have really crappy conditions such as heavy fog where it is better to just get off and ride at a lower elevation. I recommend a plan B just in case.

My last time on the BRP I quickly got frustrated at the cars doing 5-10 under the speed limit. I got off at 80 and back up to Little Switzerland on 226a. The roads that cross the BRP are often better than the BRP itself.

If you aren't camping the first night I have always had good luck with this place in Maggie Valley:

They even have a fire pit.

As Dirt Dabber mentioned, Heintooga Roundbottom is a great road if you have some time.

Another thing I usually do when staying in Maggie Valley is to ride up to Waterock knob to catch the sunset.

Enjoy your trip!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #34
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
That's pretty ambitious. The speed limit on BRP is 35mph (enforced) and the scenery deserves that you don't rush.
I've never ridden the parkway at 35. I'm usually in the 55 to 75 with never a problem, but I am also well aware that they are out there. I've been getting at least 2 trips a year there for 10 plus yeas. however, I've camped with guys who got a ticket their first 5 miles!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #35
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,921
I saw the thread and had to add some info. My fiancée did a ride up the BRP, we started in FL and rode north.

She was on her way to the Berkshires to work for the Boston Symphony Orchestra for the summer, I was getting ready to go to Louisiana to work on the oil spill. I only went about halfway, I turned back south right by the North Carolina/Virginia border.

We spent a day/2 nights there, at this place called "Frog Holler Cabins". Apparently the Yadkin Valley is the US' oldest winemaking region, there are a ton of wineries in the area, and the owner of the cabins offers tours of the local wineries. He drives, so it's a great stop on the bikes, he'll drive you around to wine tastings all day and drop you right back off at your cabin. If you feel like a stop about midway up the BRP, I very highly recommend it. The cabins are reasonable, and very nice, they are all along a nice creek and have private balconies with hot tubs. The tour was pretty reasonable as well. If you enjoy wine, I highly recommend a stop there.

Frog Holler Cabins

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #36
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Al, here's another thread on the same subject:
http://bamarides.com/ride/best-roads...rkway-in-june/

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #37
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 497
The parkway can be slow and frustrating. But you should do it once. Pay attention to all the wonderful side roads down the mountain. Rt 8 down to Floyd. Rt 56 down to the bottom and back with a quick hike to crabtree falls. 211 down the mountain to the east.

To get home 33 or 250 to 42. Look for roads that cross mountains if you want to have fun.

Dc is overrated. Run into Dulles and hit the air and space there then get the heck out of Nova. Personally I'd skip the entire northern section from waynesboro north. Low speed limit and pay to play. Just go west on 250 toward Monterrey or down into the valley on 11 and north. Or charlottesville with Monticello and Montpelier just north and the u va campus and its architecture.

You miss a ton by staying on the parkway.

Save Dc for a different trip where you wont worry about the bike and crappy Nova drivers.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #38
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
motel at Tuggles Gap milepost 168 on BRP

have not been there in several years, but for a 1/2 star motel it beat sleeping in the rain. The restaurant there was good too.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #39
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,921
I just remembered where we stopped the first night, it was Greenville SC. Beautiful downtown riverfront area. If I was going to do this trip again I would definitely make the stop in Greenville and Frog Holler. Two highlights of the trip for me.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #40
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
have not been there in several years, but for a 1/2 star motel it beat sleeping in the rain. The restaurant there was good too.
We stayed there last August. Very basic, no phone, no A/C, no TV, a little tiny bit of cell service, but it was only $50/night and clean. We called a few weeks ahead and requested steaks for dinner, not an item on the menu but they will get them if you let them know when you are coming.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #41
BaldKnob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
If you keep going north of Roanoke, stop at Peaks of Otter resort. They have a fantastic buffet for breakfast or dinner plus lodging if needed. There is a decent campground nearby if that is your gig.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #42
TylerSC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Willville motorcycle camp at Meadows of Dan mile marker 177.7
Second that, nice place.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #43
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
If you make it all the way to the north end of Skyline Drive and want to camp or stay in cabin, reserve NOW here at Shenadoah River State park, nice place http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...ah-river.shtml

Also agree with other poster that you can paste together a nice ride back south in VA on Rt 42 but it does take you through every small town, other even better options as far as roads and views is to cut west on either VA Rt 55 (old not new Corridor H/55) or Rt 33 into WV and take 220 or 219 south and work your way to other roads heading south. And yes watch out for the 4 legged varmin, bears included.

DCrider screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 11:08 AM
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #44
jammerx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
tuggles gap is a good time.... been there a few times in the last few years. Not five star, but a good time.
jammerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #45
jammerx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Last year we stumbled upon http://www.skylinevillageinn.com/ and we were taken by it. Is north of Ashville on the BRP and the folks that run it are awesome.
jammerx is offline   Reply With Quote