ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #31
goldham
Super Geek

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldham View Post
No, goes from east Bakersfield/mouth of HWY 178 canyon up to HWY 155/Greenhorn Summit.

You're thinking of Breckenridge Rd.
Rancheria

Bodfish via Breckenridge
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #32
Gfeldy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldham View Post
Good work goldham. If there's anything we've learned from riding bicycles it's our way around the mtns.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #33
Lennys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
So i am right, this dirt road goes from bodfish east side of 178 to bakersfield , something like 36 miles, looks like good coyote hunting hills.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #34
Gfeldy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennys View Post
So i am right, this dirt road goes from bodfish east side of 178 to bakersfield , something like 36 miles, looks like good coyote hunting hills.
No. it never reaches bodfish rd. It heads North to greenhorn then continues north to sugar loaf. It never drops down the east side of the mtn.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #35
2wheeljunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Gareth, you're a pretty good bike racer eh? Hey I bought a 990 last year and have done a fair amount of exploring around Bako. If you're looking for single-track, you may have purchased the wrong bike. The 990 becomes a handful in the rough stuff. It is however the perfect machine for loading up with some camping gear and exploring fire roads and two tracks on. We might live in the best possible place in California for off-road motorcycling. The Sequoia is amazing, especially if getting out in the middle of nowhere and spending the night is your thing. Looks like you've been riding Rancheria. There's some good challenging two tracks up there and actually some rideable single-track as well. Up top where Just Outstanding takes off, there is some fun stuff. The Piutes are pretty awesome and it's easy to link up dirt all the way out to the desert. If you go west from town, Carrizo Plains is kinda neat and if you keep going out on 58 you will hit Red Hill on the Los Padres. Tons of shit out that way. Lots of big bike friendly roads and trails. Go south to Frazier Park and again you will find endless fire roads. I try to get out every weekend. I'm not always successful but hit me up if you want to ride.
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #36
2wheeljunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Gareth,

I bought this cool map a few years ago that has been pretty helpful in my adventures. A regular forest map is always good but I have this waterproof map of "The Kern River Sierra" that I think I got at Action Sports. It covers everything around Lake I, the Kern Plateau, and the Western Divide. It's easier to look at than your standard topo map and it fits nicely into the 990's little "glove box".
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #37
Gfeldy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Gareth, you're a pretty good bike racer eh? Hey I bought a 990 last year and have done a fair amount of exploring around Bako. If you're looking for single-track, you may have purchased the wrong bike. The 990 becomes a handful in the rough stuff. It is however the perfect machine for loading up with some camping gear and exploring fire roads and two tracks on. We might live in the best possible place in California for off-road motorcycling. The Sequoia is amazing, especially if getting out in the middle of nowhere and spending the night is your thing. Looks like you've been riding Rancheria. There's some good challenging two tracks up there and actually some rideable single-track as well. Up top where Just Outstanding takes off, there is some fun stuff. The Piutes are pretty awesome and it's easy to link up dirt all the way out to the desert. If you go west from town, Carrizo Plains is kinda neat and if you keep going out on 58 you will hit Red Hill on the Los Padres. Tons of shit out that way. Lots of big bike friendly roads and trails. Go south to Frazier Park and again you will find endless fire roads. I try to get out every weekend. I'm not always successful but hit me up if you want to ride.
Thanks for all the intel. I plan to leave my single track riding to my Mtb. I definitely won't be taking the 990 with my scrawny ass on anything too crazy. Thanks for the map tips. I'll swing by action to get that map. Goldham and I will be going out exploring on most weekends now. We're happy to have more people come along if you're available.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #38
Gfeldy OP
Adventurer

Any new routes?

Had anyone done any trails out of Arvin? I looks like there may be some stuff heading towards Tejon. Anyone up for exploring?