Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
A question I've always wondered about (riding technique)

I've taken two MSF riding courses. In both the instructors insisted on pulling in the clutch during an "emergency stop". (someone turns left in front of you, pulls out in front of you, etc) This has never made much sense to me because it would seem that allowing the engine to provide additional braking on the rear tire would be helpful, assuming the throttle is shut down of course.

What am I missing here? By the way, I've ridden for many years and have not followed their advice on the few occasions when I've been in need of a quick stop; also, I do practice emergency braking.....a couple times a year, probably not enough, but I push it until my front tire is "chirping" and my rear is not locked up. I ride a K75, non-ABS. Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I've taken two MSF riding courses. In both the instructors insisted on pulling in the clutch during an "emergency stop". (someone turns left in front of you, pulls out in front of you, etc) This has never made much sense to me because it would seem that allowing the engine to provide additional braking on the rear tire would be helpful, assuming the throttle is shut down of course.

What am I missing here? By the way, I've ridden for many years and have not followed their advice on the few occasions when I've been in need of a quick stop; also, I do practice emergency braking.....a couple times a year, probably not enough, but I push it until my front tire is "chirping" and my rear is not locked up. I ride a K75, non-ABS. Thanks
In a true emergency stop you are either going to be locking the rear or coming damn close due to weight transfer to the front. If the rear is already at or near its traction limit, then engine braking is out of the equation.

What pulling in the clutch does is keep you from stalling if you actually do have to come to a stop while also allowing you the ability to click down a couple gears and get back on the throttle in a hurry if the guy behind you wasn't paying attention to your emergency stop. Nothing sucks like needing to be hard on the throttle only to find you're in 6th at 15 mph.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
The quick stop is designed to not only stop you fast but get you into first gear with the clutch in so you're not stuck there stalled if something else is about to happen.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Actually, you've both given me a new perspective. Thanks

However, in none of the classes was it mentioned that one should also be shifting down during the braking process.?? Perhaps just bad classes? Don't know. Also, if the rear tire is locked up, might be difficult to shift down effectively, just askin' , not trying to start a debate. Thanks again.

390beretta screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 03:29 PM
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:

However, in none of the classes was it mentioned that one should also be shifting down during the braking process.?? Perhaps just bad classes? Don't know. Also, if the rear tire is locked up, might be difficult to shift down effectively, just askin' , not trying to start a debate. Thanks again.
Sounds like bad teaching. You lose points for not ending up in first in the MSF class here during the licensing test. I know because I ended up in neutral. The point is getting you ready to take off again.

I don't think the rear tire being locked would matter with the clutch pulled.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 291
Cool2

Quote:
...........What am I missing here?............
You are missing the rotational inertia of the engine.

If the braking is quick enough, your engine may be fighting your brakes during the time it takes for rpms to drop down to close to idle.

If the braking is less than an emergency, engine braking is effective, especially for slippery conditions, as the braking effect is pneumatic (more "cushion") rather than mechanic-hydraulic.

The other reason, as well explained in previous post, is to be ready to resume movement as needed, in the proper gear (yes, you should downshift during the emergency stop if you can) and with the engine on.

It is spelled in the MSF Basic Course handbook; check Unit 3 - page 23:
http://msf-usa.org/CurriculumMateria...ndbook2011.pdf

lnewqban screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 03:51 PM
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:

Disc brakes must be great.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Disc brakes must be great.
Yes, my friend, they certainly are....but I only have them on the front. My bike just turned 26 years old But, I still love her
Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 851
you approach the stopping area in second gear.
when you front tire crosses the que cone you are to stop in the shortest distance you safely can downshifting to first during the stop.

by leaving the clutch in there is one less thing you have to worry about so you can concentrate on the stop and downshift. if you do a compresstion stop(downshift) and still stop within standard for your speed you won't be assessed any points.

i like to tell my students that on the street if you have to do a quick stop you want to be ready to get out of the area incase the car behind you cannot stop in tme or is not paying attention. so make sure you check your mirrors when you stop and always have an escape route planned. downshifting will get your motorcycle ready for a quick escape.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
you approach the stopping area in second gear.
when you front tire crosses the que cone you are to stop in the shortest distance you safely can downshifting to first during the stop.

by leaving the clutch in there is one less thing you have to worry about so you can concentrate on the stop and downshift. if you do a compresstion stop(downshift) and still stop within standard for your speed you won't be assessed any points.

i like to tell my students that on the street if you have to do a quick stop you want to be ready to get out of the area incase the car behind you cannot stop in tme or is not paying attention. so make sure you check your mirrors when you stop and always have an escape route planned. downshifting will get your motorcycle ready for a quick escape.
Yes, I always do that when coming to a stop (at a light, etc.) (check my mirrors and have an escape route in case someone is not stopping behind me) I do downshift to first when stopping at a light, always in 1st. gear and watching my mirrors, in case someone is goofing off, high, on the phone, etc. However, I was more asking about an emergency stop. Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,289
Older BMW ABS- K100RS4V.

Something comes out in front of me real fast?

Off the throttle and both hands are squeezing HARD. I am standing the thing on its nose. Very little weight on the rear tire- don't think additional engine braking is a factor at all.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Older BMW ABS- K100RS4V.

Something comes out in front of me real fast?

Off the throttle and both hands are squeezing HARD. I am standing the thing on its nose. Very little weight on the rear tire- don't think additional engine braking is a factor at all.
Thanks, I'm guessing my reaction would be the same.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Interesting.... Back when I was instructing in the uk, if you pulled the clutch or attempted to change gear, you automatically failed the test... The powers that be reconed that the only important thing is to stop....engine braking helps.....concentrate on that...
I wonder if ten years later that's changed..have to say that I still practise regularly, and never clutch in..
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import View Post
Interesting.... Back when I was instructing in the uk, if you pulled the clutch or attempted to change gear, you automatically failed the test... The powers that be reconed that the only important thing is to stop....engine braking helps.....concentrate on that...
I wonder if ten years later that's changed..have to say that I still practise regularly, and never clutch in..
I'd like to know that as well....seems we have similar questions.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
When I need to stop fast, I almost always end up with the clutch pulled and the bike it too high a gear. But at least she is running. Thankfully, I don't have many panic stops and most of those are on dirt. I have to agree that usually the priority is to simply get stopped or slowed enough.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote