User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,784
Peru places to stay

Going to Peru in October and going to hire a bike for a few weeks, two up myself and wife. Maybe a loop Cusco to Puno to Arequipa to Cusco, depending on time maybe more. Anywhere with a recommendation to stay overnight (hotel,Guesthouse?) between Cusco and Puno? I just want to set a moderate pace and spend maybe 4 to 6 hours a day on the bike after that wife wants to stop

gavo screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 03:08 AM
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Going to Peru in October and going to hire a bike for a few weeks, two up myself and wife. Maybe a loop Cusco to Puno to Arequipa to Cusco, depending on time maybe more. Anywhere with a recommendation to stay overnight (hotel,Guesthouse?) between Cusco and Puno? I just want to set a moderate pace and spend maybe 4 to 6 hours a day on the bike after that wife wants to stop
There is a great place in Sicuani, but that's only km 161, but it does take a bite out of the route...

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
There is a great place in Sicuani, but that's only km 161, but it does take a bite out of the route...

Cheers! Toby
Hi, and thanks, That would be ok we could do a bit of side tripping along the way do you have the name of this place?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,628
We stayed at:

Hostel Los Uros in Puno.

Nice and central, walk to everything.

Can't remember how much...but we liked it.

You can look in our recent ride report....tuckers to tdf

Hotel United in Arequipa...a bit pricey iirc, but across from a guy that works for perumotos the BMW rental outfit.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

A little hard to find, but well worth it!

CENTRO VACACIONAL SICUANI S.R.L.

Jr. Jose Carlos Mariategui Nro. 540
SICUANI, CANCHIS, CUSCO
Telefono: 351202

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
For something more adventurous than the well trodden paths to Cuzco, go north, visit the beach in Trujillo then into the mountains Cajamarca, then visit the pre-Inca fortress of Kuelap near Chachapoyas, and the fascinating culture around there. Then Tarapoto the city of palms and then south to Tingo Maria for some incredible ceviche along the river. Huanuco then up into the mountains to Huaraz. You can skip the busy hub of Huanuco and stay in the lovely village of La Union, nice hotel with good parking there. No tourists there! Huaraz itself is smoky and very busy with nutty drivers but the road up there absolutely breathtaking, 15000 ft passes, there is a decent hostel in Huaraz. The mountains around there incredible.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
A little hard to find, but well worth it!

CENTRO VACACIONAL SICUANI S.R.L.

Jr. Jose Carlos Mariategui Nro. 540
SICUANI, CANCHIS, CUSCO
Telefono: 351202
This link and address shows a place in the suburbs of Lima
Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
For something more adventurous than the well trodden paths to Cuzco, go north, visit the beach in Trujillo then into the mountains Cajamarca, then visit the pre-Inca fortress of Kuelap near Chachapoyas, and the fascinating culture around there. Then Tarapoto the city of palms and then south to Tingo Maria for some incredible ceviche along the river. Huanuco then up into the mountains to Huaraz. You can skip the busy hub of Huanuco and stay in the lovely village of La Union, nice hotel with good parking there. No tourists there! Huaraz itself is smoky and very busy with nutty drivers but the road up there absolutely breathtaking, 15000 ft passes, there is a decent hostel in Huaraz. The mountains around there incredible.

Thanks for the info and while I'd like to see everything we have 3 weeks
Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca are 2 things we have to visit despite being tourist traps and Arequipa was a "must see" area according to some.
Getting off the tourist track is something I enjoy but Peru is an unknown for us so we'll take it as time allows.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Yep I've spent many weeks wandering around Peru, still haven't been to Cusco and machu pinche. Arequipa is interesting with those two big volcanoes towering over it.

Iron Butt #35784
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,628
We really liked Cajamarca...but Arequipa was just too big a city for us.

LIMA..............yikes...............I think I measured 40 miles wide of city on my odometer......got nice at the southern beaches though..............
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #11
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
We stayed at:

Hostel Los Uros in Puno.

Nice and central, walk to everything.

Can't remember how much...but we liked it.

You can look in our recent ride report....tuckers to tdf

Hotel United in Arequipa...a bit pricey iirc, but across from a guy that works for perumotos the BMW rental outfit.
All the feedback I could find on this place was very negative
Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

I stayed in Pirwa hostel in Arequipa. Nice older residence with a fabulous view of the mountains from the rooftop terrace dinning area. No parking there had to park a block away in a private garage. Not a place where you would want to leave your bike parked on the street.
Iron Butt #35784
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
This link and address shows a place in the suburbs of Lima
The link is for a general yellow pages kind of thing. They don't have a web site themselves. The place is an old country club type of place with nice grounds and small cabins, then a main lodge. I think the single was only $15.

Sicuani is not so nice a town... kinda random. Going south east down the highway thru town, cross the bridge to the right (south), then backtrack northwest along the river and you can't miss it. Just ask. Everyone knows it.

Cheers! Toby

Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #14
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
The link is for a general yellow pages kind of thing. They don't have a web site themselves. The place is an old country club type of place with nice grounds and small cabins, then a main lodge. I think the single was only $15.

Sicuani is not so nice a town... kinda random. Going south east down the highway thru town, cross the bridge to the right (south), then backtrack northwest along the river and you can't miss it. Just ask. Everyone knows it.

Cheers! Toby
Thanks for that will give it a try
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
I developed a terrific respect for Lars of Peru Motors in Arequipa. He rents bikes and runs a hotel called La Gruta. Do a search to locate him.
Also there is a very good South American hotel/hostel web site www.pacarama.com I would decide where I was going, go 34th of the way down the list price wise and book, then put the address in my GPS. The hotels were good, inexpensive, clean and usually marketed to middle class South Americans. Dave

CheckerdD screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 12:55 PM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote