User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
greenramp OP
Airborne

Oddometer: 103
JeffCo Sheriff deputy fatality

Local Motorcycle Deputy Sheriff involved in accident.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/01/2...dent-released/
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Damn

RIP

Anybody know if he was an member here?

83 year old man crosses a double yellow to pass ............ and then head on into the m/c! Good Lord. There are a lot of folks out there that don't take their responsibilities on the road very seriously. Hopefully this will be the end of the cager's driving privileges.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 793
"Crossed the double yellow line to pass someone"
Nice. 83 Year old driver - pulls an illegal move and kills someone for no good reason. In an SUV with a direct head on, he would probably have killed someone in a car as well. Two things - was age a factor here? When will we start re-testing drivers of advanced age to make sure that they are still capable of safely operating a vehicle. My wifes grandmother is 83, and there is no way in hell she is capable of driving a car.
I hope they throw the book at the driver.
What a waste.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
JethroDog
dogs bark

Oddometer: 206
There needs to be a conversation between elderly drivers and their children. My dad kept running into things as soon as put the car in reverse. He was casual about his deteriorating driving abilities and promised that he would drive infrequently and slow. I told him that he could still kill somebody driving slow and it just wasn't worth it. There are a thousand reasons why an aging population deserves to retain the mobility provided by their license, but the fact that their vision and reaction time is working against them does not justify the risk. My father had public transportation and family to keep him mobile. He passed away 10 years ago, but had he made it to 83 I would be damn sure that he wasn't behind the wheel!
JethroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 419
Yes, I understand what you guys are saying, but I also have a couple of riding buddies in their mid 80's, one on a Harley and the other on a Gold Wing, who ride all over the USA with no problems. I am 66 and ride a Suzuki B-King and a Triumph Tiger 800 XC.

Lumping everyone over a certain age into one group doesn't work, but I'm not againest retesting at a certain age.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
I am 66 and ride a Suzuki B-King

Dave
I'm sorry.

As for the elderly driving, or anyone, when behind the wheel of a several thousand pound vehicle, the most feeble human has the ability to kill an entire family without breaking a sweat.

Those about to leave this world are killing those who are just starting and those who are just starting are killing those who have ones to raise.

Henry Ford was the worlds greatest terrorist; he helped to put a WMD in everyone's garage.

Be safe out there, it may catch on.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
RIP Rider.

I think the system we have in place for all drivers works. If you are too old/careless to drive, usually you will get tickets and it will show on your record, or you will have accidents and it will show on your record. Until drivers screw up, they have a license to drive.

Plenty of kids (and people of all ages now) texting and driving.

Just try to evade the poor drivers. Sometimes you can't, no matter how much training you have had.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
When will we start re-testing drivers of advanced age to make sure that they are still capable of safely operating a vehicle. My wifes grandmother is 83, and there is no way in hell she is capable of driving a car.
I hope they throw the book at the driver.
What a waste.
LOL, My wife's mother just turned 90 and got her license renewed just with a vision test. In NC, if you have not been cited or ticketed in the past year or so, you can get your license renewed without a drivers test. I recall my wife telling me that her mother was very nervous because she thought that DMV would make her take a drivers test due to her age. She walked out 10 mins later with a unrestricted license. She can barely drive and when she drives, you can barely see her as she sinks way down in the seat. I would hate to be near anyone like that when I am on my bike.

Sad but true.

Jon
Old 01-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
ericboutin
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Yah I think the consensus is for testing once an advanced age is reached. It's fair that we test younger inexperienced drivers; I think an argument could be made that as humans we tend to wear out and at an advanced age things slow down. It's just a fact of life, so testing should be done once more. The risks are just to great.

RIP Sarge. Prayers go out to both families. It is going to be a tough time for all of them.

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300
2006 Suzuki GS500F - Wife's
ericboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
RIP Rider.

I think the system we have in place for all drivers works.
More than 30,000 deaths on U.S. roads every year. It doesn't work.

Quote:
If you are too old/careless to drive, usually you will get tickets and it will show on your record, or you will have accidents and it will show on your record. Until drivers screw up, they have a license to drive.
That is a reactive system and exactly why it doesn't work.

What driving a vehicle without proper training and licensing basically amounts to is handing everyone of age a loaded gun with no real training and telling them they can use it until they hurt or kill someone.

An automobile can be used to kill a lot of people, without the need to reload. Some people have figured that out.

Those are my thoughts on it, and I'll leave it at that.

Ride In Peace Sergeant Baldwin
Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 728
RIP to the fallen motor officer.

But as long as we're talking about whose qualified to drive, the current system certainly does little to weed out the unworthy before they get behind the wheel.

How about some mandated training prior to your sweet sixteen party, other than a simple written exam and a brief ride around the parking lot. Anybody remember driver's ed?

The system we have now unleashes hordes of pubescents on the roads every year that have nothing more than a cursory knowledge of the how a motorized vehicle works, zero road etiquette or driving skills, and no appreciation for the physics involved in piloting a two-ton hunk of metal at 70 mph.

A little bit of education and testing would be a good thing, for everybody.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
gregkzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I don't care whether the guys 80 or not, he should go to prison for vehicular manslaughter. Plain and simple.
gregkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
RIP Rider.

I think the system we have in place for all drivers works. If you are too old/careless to drive, usually you will get tickets and it will show on your record, or you will have accidents and it will show on your record. Until drivers screw up, they have a license to drive.

Plenty of kids (and people of all ages now) texting and driving.

Just try to evade the poor drivers. Sometimes you can't, no matter how much training you have had.
That is about the worst thing I have ever seen posted on this board, you are definitely part of the problem, people like you is exactly why the mass killing is allowed to go on.

As an airline pilot, we get tested all the time, and have to perform to a level far beyond what any driver has to. Flying a plane is about 100 times more complicated and harder than driving a car is, yet how many deaths do we get in the US per year in commercial airline accidents, most years zero.

We get 30,000 deaths a year on the roads, where the task is much simpler, and you say the system is working ? Its a shame people like you support this, people like you are defiantly a force for bad.

Not checking people or doing anything about incompetence until they make a lot of obvious mistakes, have you ever put any thought into what you just supported in you post ??? In aviation, we have proven this to be a very stupid attitude and we make every attempt to catch incompetence well before it kills people... This is not opinion, this is fact and we move hundreds of millions of people per year safely. Its just sucks that a really great person has to pay the price for such stupidity and attitudes that allow it to go on.

Mike

JettPilot screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 03:39 PM
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,940
RIP,
The police motorcyclist are F'ing good riders and it can still happen to them.

A few years back I was on the road and pulled into an IHOP to get breakfast and just get off the bike for a while.
While I was in there I saw a very sweet old couple sat a few rows in front of me, the wife had to help feed the husband, cut his food up, help steady his Hand with the sweet tea, it was a sweet moment.

Till the fuckers got up and the old man waz the driver! WTF, old fucker can't slice an omelette with a fork but he's out there tearing up the highway.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,920
Plenty of blame to go around. Even with family support getting an impaired older driver to voluntarily give up their car is almost impossible. I've had family members "disable" Dad's Caddy, and prevent him from getting it repaired, only to have a car salesman sell him a new model. Hell, the salesmen will even drive the new car to the house and do the paperwork in the living room. It's obvious that the person shouldnt be driving but they sell him one anyway. Many kids don't want to piss off the old man, so they won't get involved. They just say, "well, he only drives on back roads and never at night." I have had 2 older patients kill someone with their cars. They had already been reported to DMV and the families had been warned multiple times.

Losing the car leads to loss of whatever independence they have. It's worse in some areas than others. I have patients that have family close by. The kids would love to drive them around, but as some people get older their judgement worsens and they actually think they are good drivers. I have called the police to come by my office and follow patients home, trying to find a way to get them off the road. Luckily we have some driver rehab and evaluation programs here. If someone has a stroke or gets reported, the DMV requires them to take a check ride before they are allowed to drive again. I've had people take the recertification test and flunk it 3 times (its like 1000 bones to take it) and they swear the examiner just "didnt like them."

But most of the time nothing happens until someone gets hurt. And I ride a motorcycle to work every day. Someone mentioned the changes in drivers ed. I don't have kids so I don't actually known what it's like, but I can tell you the mentality is different than it was 35 years ago when I started driving. Nobody seems to take any pride in their driving skills. Anymore driving is just a means to get somewhere. The car is just a mobile telecommunication center for all their iShit. Their is no etiquette and most the people I see have no clue what's actually in the Rules of the Road (do they even have a drivers handbook anymore?). I ride in a lot of traffic and these new drivers have no interaction with the drivers around them. They have no clue, they don't plan ahead and they just react to what's happening around them, often too late. These people can't drive, then we put an iPhone in their hand. Rant over...carry on.

RIP Deputy.

PMR out
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote