User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #151
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Windmills, I like Windmills !

I'd Love to have one in my yard. The squeak,squeak,squeak all nigh is kinda calming!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #152
Wild_Child
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ai

Good report bud! These folk prolly need to know that this type of trip has been your dream every since we were wee lads. I can still picture in my mind, you and me sitting In your parents house one afternoon, and you telling me you had plans to ride a motorcycle all over America, (once we got grown up of course.)

I think that was 1974 or so.

joe
Wild_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #153
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
It's humbling

to see such interest in windmills. It just blossomed from a target for my hand-me-up camera.

jimmex -- Thanks for adding to the Aeromotor story and thanks for looking in. Two of my classmates from Veterinary school practice in San Angelo (pronounced Sanangelo -- one word if I'm correct). I'm putting the final touches on my routes for a Springtime ride and we'll be passing through there.

back2 -- Phenomenal photo. Where in SW Oklahoma did you capture that one? Was it near Wichita Mountains?

Sleddog -- Great addition to the theme. Thanks for sharing with us.

BigDog -- Thanks for adding on to Sleddog's find. I've seen quite a few of those wooden bladed mills here and there and imagined they were strictly decorative, like this one leaving Texhoma with the nice red brick mainstreet from Day 1 of the report. I omitted the pic because I (wrongly) thought it was yard art.

bigdon -- Thanks for reading the report and adding to it.

1. Where did you take the first photograph? It looks vaguely familiar.

2. That last one reminds me of how I used to feel at the end of the semester, the day after we all knew we'd passed all of our finals and celebrated accordingly.

Animal Instinct screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 06:20 AM
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #154
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
Good report bud! These folk prolly need to know that this type of trip has been your dream every since we were wee lads. I can still picture in my mind, you and me sitting In your parents house one afternoon, and you telling me you had plans to ride a motorcycle all over America, (once we got grown up of course.)

I think that was 1974 or so.

joe
Holy Smokes, Mon!

I can still see it so vividly. You're on that Mini Trail, I'm on the 70. We both have our Bell Star helmets on, huge dust trail behind us. You're yelling at the top of your lungs, "DON'T WIND IT OUT MAN, SHIFT INTO 4th!" I'm scared, but finally let her fly. Thanks for getting me over the hump....and thanks for continuing to share your wisdom. I will ever remain, Grasshopper.

So glad we crossed paths again, all these years later.

You truly are,

Joe Cool.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 AM   #155
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
I took this picture in Oklahoma on the TAT. I think it was just before Buffalo.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #156
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Sleddog;23458038]Animal Instinct, Great job! Really enjoyed your Ride Report.

In Nebraska, and I'm sure other places across the country, there is a display of various windmills...some very rare!

Trying to get as many of the different Windmills in the photo! QUOTE]

I finally got around to reading your RR's, "Trans South Dakota Adventure" and "Dakota Adventure Loop" and really enjoyed them. I haven't made it that far north yet, but intend to and those routes will come in handy. You got a nice history lesson to boot.

I loved the word play and the "junk" mailbox.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #157
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thanks!

Awsome ride report! Thanks for sharing!
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #158
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
[QUOTE=Animal Instinct;23470289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
I finally got around to reading your RR's, "Trans South Dakota Adventure" and "Dakota Adventure Loop" and really enjoyed them. I haven't made it that far north yet, but intend to and those routes will come in handy. You got a nice history lesson to boot.

I loved the word play and the "junk" mailbox.
Glad you enjoyed them. I'll be heading through your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, on our way to Presidio, TX. Where we cross the border for our annual ride into Mexico's Copper Canyon area.

If you ever up this way, you're welcome at the Dog's house!
Sleddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #159
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
Awsome ride report! Thanks for sharing!
Really appreciate you looking in. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #160
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Sleddog;23472908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post

Glad you enjoyed them. I'll be heading through your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, on our way to Presidio, TX. Where we cross the border for our annual ride into Mexico's Copper Canyon area.

If you ever up this way, you're welcome at the Dog's house!
Copper Canyon holds a special interest for me as it's the home of the Tarahumara -- the running people -- famous for their prowess in long distance running. The book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall put them in the National spotlight for a short time.

Presidio is included in more than one of my routes for this upcoming spring. We're anticipating a little visit, West of the Pecos if the stars align properly. It helps me keep my nose to the grindstone at the old hard yard. The planning is part of the fun, right?

I noticed you changed from a KLR to a WR?250. Any regrets? If you find yourself in need in my neck of the woods, send me a PM -- we'll get you fixed up.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #161
Wild_Child
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Holy Smokes, Mon!

I can still see it so vividly. You're on that Mini Trail, I'm on the 70. We both have our Bell Star helmets on, huge dust trail behind us. You're yelling at the top of your lungs, "DON'T WIND IT OUT MAN, SHIFT INTO 4th!" I'm scared, but finally let her fly. Thanks for getting me over the hump....and thanks for continuing to share your wisdom. I will ever remain, Grasshopper.

So glad we crossed paths again, all these years later.

You truly are,

Joe Cool.
thanks man,
hey, talk to" back 2 the future" about a Big Bend trip, He has been at all but one of my trips there, plus a few. everything is far apart there, so ya don't want to waste a 1/2 day ride and have it be a bust. That guy is real good at planning out rides ,per day.

joe
Wild_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #162
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
[QUOTE=Animal Instinct;23477159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
I noticed you changed from a KLR to a WR?250. Any regrets?.
Not a bit! Last summer my Brother & I rode through British Columbia to Alaska & the Yukon via forest service roads, the Kettle Valley Railway etc. He left his KLR at home & was riding a CRF 250 L & I was on my KLR. His 250 was the star of the trip! We both came home & sold our KLR's. I've got a Goldwing & a wee Strom for pounding down the pavement. The WR is perfect for wiggling my way across the country on "un-pavement"

Sleddog
Sleddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #163
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
thanks man,
hey, talk to" back 2 the future" about a Big Bend trip, He has been at all but one of my trips there, plus a few. everything is far apart there, so ya don't want to waste a 1/2 day ride and have it be a bust. That guy is real good at planning out rides ,per day.

joe
I really only want to interrogate him regarding River Road there at BBNP. I kind of want to do it solo. I can't imagine any time riding over there as a "bust." If we can see anything different than flat land and mesquite trees, we've made progress....

Animal Instinct screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 07:11 PM
Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #164
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Sleddog;23479572]
Quote:

Not a bit! Last summer my Brother & I rode through British Columbia to Alaska & the Yukon via forest service roads, the Kettle Valley Railway etc. He left his KLR at home & was riding a CRF 250 L & I was on my KLR. His 250 was the star of the trip! We both came home & sold our KLR's. I've got a Goldwing & a wee Strom for pounding down the pavement. The WR is perfect for wiggling my way across the country on "un-pavement"

Sleddog
Those CRF 250 L's are very seductive. I sat on one over at Eddie Hill's (he is a bad ass) and felt like I had cheated on Red. There are strong rumors that IMS has a nice tank to make it a potential long range beast.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 AM   #165
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
I really only want to interrogate him regarding River Road there at BBNP. I kind of want to do it solo. I can't imagine any time riding over there as a "bust." If we can see anything different than flat land and mesquite trees, we've made progress....
Done a lot of riding in and around BBNP and BBSP. but have never done the river road. I hear the sand is challenging on the west end of the route. So it is preferred to travle it from west to east, so you won't be too tired when you hit the sand. :-) I will find out myself in a couple of weeks, as i'm going down with a few other north TX guys and ride it.

One of the best sources of info is from this RR.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769973

I will send you an email later and see what i can help you with.
Ride ON
RandyG
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote