ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelds View Post
.....Am I the only one who needs around 80L to fit all my stuff?!
No.
Minimalist schminimalist. I likes my camping comfort.
Without the big packing space, where do some of you keep the cooler with ice and whiskey? Surely you don't leave it behind
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #17
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
A second look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelds View Post
I know: Great Basin. But there's some things that I don't like. It doesn't fit enough for longer trips, it doesn't have enough volume down low, it's too big for day trips, and there's no way to easily carry extra fuel when using it without rear racks.
In searching for the 'Holy Grail" of adventure luggage, you may be overlooking some of the GL features.

I pack loads of gear when I travel and in my opinion there is no single option for me. I have similar requirements as you and here's what I use and why.

I combine three pieces of luggage which includes the GL Great Basin, a large dryback with backpack straps and a medium water proof Alpinestars backpack.

The beauty of the GL GB bag is that it has tiedown straps behind it so you can strap on an additional large bag behind it that still keeps the weight below the top of a GL bag. This solves the problem of keeping the weight down.

Also the sides of the GL bag have external straps which allows mounting anything from MSR fluid bottles to extra footwear. Again, this keeps the weight low. And when I strap shoes to the sides they still don't stick out as far as panniers because the load is above the hip of the GL bag.

I load my tools/ parts at the bottom of one side of my GL bag, and my mess gear, fuel cans and foodstuffs on the other. I use the provided GL sealed bags for these lower areas which makes for easy access. There are also two bottle container straps on the inside of the GL bags which I always use to carry plastic water bottles.

I leave the rest of the GL bag's space for items that I don't need to get at while in transit... spare clothing, spare food, dop kit and first aid.

In my large drybag I load my primary camping gear that I need to get at quickly once I arrive at my campsite... at the end of a long day's ride. My drybag has external straps on the sides so I can keep my tent and micro cot on the outside, important if wet from a morning dew. And I can unload these items immediately first thing upon arrival. I can set up my tent before I have to break into my other bags in case it's raining. Inside of the drybag is my sleeping bag, an inflatable pillow and other items that go straight into my tent after it's set up. I also pack items on the top of this bag that I may need in transit but not at the highest priority, such as a clean towel, clean dry socks, sweat pants.

My Alpinestars backpack is my quick access bag, which solves an accessiblilty issue when combining bags on the GL GB. I pack items in here that I'll definitely need during transit. I'll pack jacket liners, thermals, protein bars, beef jerkey, trail mix. sun screen, handy wipes, head band flashlight, band aids, maps. And in the easiest top pocket of the backpack I keep a small penlight, lighter, aux. headphones. marking pen, magnifying glass, lotion and chap stick. This backpack stays pretty slim and even though it's strapped on top of the GL bag it's not a heavy bag or obtrusive. It can also be worn as a backpack in transit. And it becomes a handy hiking pack off the bike. Plus the zipper set up on this backpack allows easy access from almost any angle even when it's strapped on the bike.

And finally, the GL GB bag. This bag (for my requirements) is the greatest single bag design for (my) offroad adventure traveling. It has an almost invisible profile behind me. It keeps the load low and distributes it over a larger area of my bike. It's very durable and has handled numerous impacts. It easily mounts on the bike. And it can be disconnected in minutes and tossed over a shoulder on the move. But the best part of this bag is it's a foundation bag. It is the perfect first layer of bike luggage. It can be layered with other bags and items in priority of importance and accessibility.

And the creative forces at GL have other intelligent options, top bags, tank bags, buck and roll bags, bar bags and panniers. I expect, if a holy grail of luggage idea exists out there... GL will be one of the first to do a variation of it.

Here's a variation of the configuration with a waterproof duffle in place of a larger drybag off the back. I absolutely love the GL bag.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 02:15 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 AM   #18
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 878
Great thread.

But I think a lot of you are missing a great chance to optimise the bike in the first place.
My idea is to load the bike with as many necessities before the bags etc go on.
My solution.

I am picking up a set of Safari Tanks next week. Theres 40 lts of fuel. For me no need to carry more. No rotopacs etc.

Next for water, I am keen to get 4 more people interested in Raid`s Underseat Fuel Tank made of water compatable plastic. There is 7.5 lts of water on board out of sight. PM me if interested.

Then I am looking at CJ`s tool box that replaces the left hand muffler. There goes all the tyre gear and tools.

Now even with no bags on I have fuel, water and tools etc for a decent ride. Throw the GL on and I have room for tent etc. Also room for my scotch etc :)

Around the world? Add a big Dry bag/Tank bag.

Simpels
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Great thread.

But I think a lot of you are missing a great chance to optimise the bike in the first place.
My solution.
Guzzi-

Great thoughts. I concur. I have gone down that road too... still tweaking. (Granted, I have an SE).

I "had" an SE Safari tank... too big. Going midrange now. 200ish miles is plenty for me in the Colorado area, especially since I usually don't ride solo. For RTW, I'd want more... well, not more fuel, but a bike that doesn't drink fuel like the ninefitty. I'm addicted though.

I also have Craig's storage box w/ 2into1. Works great, like you said for keeping weight low and tire/tool stuff readily accessible.

Maps, electronics, daily necessities, etc. in a SMALL enduro tank bag (screw that big KTM one). Water & snacks (love me some snacks) for the day in backpack or jacket. Tools, tubes, irons, & pump in the storage box. Bike spares... fuel pump points, fuel line, JB weld, and other infrequently used "O Shite stuff" under the seat... harder to access, but if needed, they will be the longer stops anyway.

With this setup, luggage is usually only opened at camp. Rok strap/bungy net accessible for the day's last stop for food/brew.

...and don't forget the fly rod!

Keep the ideas coming.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Great thread.

My solution.

I am picking up a set of Safari Tanks next week. Theres 40 lts of fuel. For me no need to carry more. No rotopacs etc.

Next for water, I am keen to get 4 more people interested in Raid`s Underseat Fuel Tank made of water compatable plastic. There is 7.5 lts of water on board out of sight. PM me if interested.

Then I am looking at CJ`s tool box that replaces the left hand muffler. There goes all the tyre gear and tools.

Now even with no bags on I have fuel, water and tools etc for a decent ride. Throw the GL on and I have room for tent etc. Also room for my scotch etc :)

Around the world? Add a big Dry bag/Tank bag.

Simpels
I picked up a rally tank awhile ago and am slowly getting together the rest of the 2-1 set-up. I'm also considering the underseat tank. That would mean about 16L available, in safe places, when it's needed (which is not most of the time). I don't like the Safari tanks because I don't want all that weight up front.
And with the GL, if the lower legs grew by about 10L a side, and the top by about 15L, then there'd be no need for a separate top bag......and if the top could be detached so the lower legs could be left for day trips. Well, see first post.
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
In Search of the Perfect 990 Luggage for Offroad

This might be just what you were looking for, just in case you hadn't seen these Kelds.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947051
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #22
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
This might be just what you were looking for, just in case you hadn't seen these Kelds.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947051
+1 on the ALTRIDER stuff. No zippers for one reason.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
I am a soft bag guy and also like the idea of a modular setup. For gas, I went with the 2 into 1 exhaust and Adventure 2.5 gallon left side tank.

Then a homemade pipe guard with Wolfman Exhibition saddle bags that I run across the back half of the seat--no racks and no passenger. Then, when needed an Ortlieb roll top waterproof bag across the back of the seat over the saddlebags when needed for longer trips. Homemade plate in the back with a Cortech Tailbag for day trips or extra capacity on longer trips.

And Wolfman tank bag with the big pockets gives me all the flexibility I need for Alaska camping to day rides in the Sierra twisties.

FWIW
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
I just happened to see a set of Givi roll top waterproof saddlebags. They are bigger than the Wolfman Expeditions, have fewer straps and look good at $199.

FYI