Big bikes are boring as fuck.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #107
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Let's discuss the trade offs of big bikes vs. small bikes during true Adventure travel, where a lot of rough dirt roads are involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Big bikes are boring as fuck.
Less is more……

Suitable
Cost effective
Fun
Ridable
Manouverable
Economical
Repairable
Simple
Minimalist
Easily picked when dropped

……..What motorcycling is all about.

Who wants a car on two wheels?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #108
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,347
I guess there is a WIDE range of riding situations.
Around here in New Jersey, 20 over can be loss of licence and impound of bike.
I have bought bikes for what some tickets cost, and to top it off, there are a LOT of police looking for money.
Unmarked, off duty, marked, camera's, aircraft, there are many ways of getting busted.
The speed limit max is 65 mph, you can do 70 or 72 and get away with it most times.
Most roads are 55 mph, or 45 mph.

On my nice local rides, I sometimes push it running 60 in a 50 zone out where there are not as many police, but its 50 mph or less in most places.

On my long rides (350 miles) its mostly twisty 35 to 45 mph roads, with a bit of 50 mph roads to get there, or the 65 mph interstate.

I have taken risks and run 80 to 85 mph in the 65 zone interstate, traffic fines are 2x in 65 zones, so if you got any ticket, it would be at least $650.00 in fines, and its 2x the points I think.

A guy I work with got snagged in his car, doing 70 in a 55 zone, interstate but
unlike most of it, a 55 zone, not 65.
Cost him $2000.00 for a lawyer, and $300.00 in fines, no points.

If they wanted to, they could have impounded the car, you pay towing, storage, etc, but he is ex military so they let him slide for that.

So having a big fast bike would be very dull, or very expensive, but most likely both.

My TU250 feels fast at 70, its light (320 pounds), nimble, fun to flog.

In the last 5 or 10 years, I likely spent a total of $3000.00 in motorcycle tickets, insurance increases, etc.

I am glad there are places where you can use a fast bike, but that is not around here.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #109
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Which one will be the fastest?

The one with the fastest rider.

The rider means much more than the machine on the roads I like to ride.
That's true for EVERY road. But it's not interesting. If you want to know something about who's the best rider, go watch races. The rider doesn't matter at all when discussing the bike. It's just senseless to bring the rider into the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODXBeef View Post
Except you can't use all that power at all around here without going to prison. However, a bike that is light and nimble is rewarding everywhere as well as being less tiring to ride in the twisties.
If you can't use the power it's just there without doing any harm and waits for the moment it can be used. That's why I'm all in for powerful bikes. THEY are rewarding everywhere, while the powerless bikes are only rewarding on the smallest of roads.
The being tiring thing I stated several times - just a fun kind of workout.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #110
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith rider View Post
that's true for every road. But it's not interesting. If you want to know something about who's the best rider, go watch races. The rider doesn't matter at all when discussing the bike. It's just senseless to bring the rider into the equation.

If you can't use the power it's just there without doing any harm and waits for the moment it can be used. That's why i'm all in for powerful bikes. They are rewarding everywhere, while the powerless bikes are only rewarding on the smallest of roads.
The being tiring thing i stated several times - just a fun kind of workout.
boring.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #111
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
That's true for EVERY road. But it's not interesting. If you want to know something about who's the best rider, go watch races. The rider doesn't matter at all when discussing the bike. It's just senseless to bring the rider into the equation.

If you can't use the power it's just there without doing any harm and waits for the moment it can be used. That's why I'm all in for powerful bikes. THEY are rewarding everywhere, while the powerless bikes are only rewarding on the smallest of roads.
The being tiring thing I stated several times - just a fun kind of workout.
It's senseless to bring the rider into the equation??

The rider IS the most important part of the equation.

Having power and not being able to use it is BORING. I'd rather wring out a small bike than loaf along on a big bike, even if they are both going the same speed.

Besides, it's fun to pass a poser on a 150HP Sport bike on a small 20-30 HP single. We have a lot more posers on sport bikes around here than people who actually know how to ride.

However, it all comes down to personal preference. If riding a big bike is what appeals to you, go for it. For the cost of one big bike, I have 4 small bikes and don't have to worry too much about losing my license.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #112
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's senseless to bring the rider into the equation??
Yes. "What's the best bike for xy?" - "It's Valentino!" Dumb to bring in the rider in this equation.

Quote:
Having power and not being able to use it is BORING.
It's the same as having no power and not being able to use it! What's REALLY BORING is being able (and willing) to use more power but not having it!
Most roads here are restricted to 100km/h (62mph), my bike is appropriately geared to redline at 68mph so if I dare it I can use all of her 170 ponies without getting into conflict with the law. That's exciting. Most exciting it is between two 35mph corners (that might be 40mph corners for a sports bike).

Quote:
Besides, it's fun to pass a poser on a 150HP Sport bike on a small 20-30 HP single.
[...]
For the cost of one big bike, I have 4 small bikes and don't have to worry too much about losing my license.
OK, here we might have two major differences between small bike riders and big bike riders.
I don't care if there might be posers out there. IF there were posers I wouldn't even recognize them.
Or even more - what the fuck? - step into competition with them! That's truly not my style of riding, I don't have to prove what a cool superior rider I am to anyone.
And I don't want to have three bikes sitting in the garage while I can only ride one - better to have one that's perfect for me.
And I have more fun with worrying about my licence from time to time than worrying about not finding a fun to ride road all of the time.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #113
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Besides, it's fun to pass a poser on a 150HP Sport bike on a small 20-30 HP single.
It's especially fun to pass them with fresh mud flying off the knobbies.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #114
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,606
"Most roads here are restricted to 100km/h (62mph), my bike is appropriately geared to redline at 68mph so if I dare it I can use all of her 170 ponies without getting into conflict with the law"

170 bhp and 68 mph..... holy crap that must be THE tightest transmission ratio ever!! Or maybe you have some "ponies" in Germany, that nobody else knows about

Arguing about big or small being being best for road riding is useless, because it's all about personal preference.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #115
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
170 bhp and 68 mph..... holy crap that must be THE tightest transmission ratio ever!!
I know it's surprising, but in fact many bikes have nearly the same transmisssion ratio. And if you think about it, it's quite logical.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #116
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
I know it's surprising, but in fact many bikes have nearly the same transmisssion ratio. And if you think about it, it's quite logical.
You can do 68mph on a minibike.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #117
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
no, you need 170bhp for that.

in case you have not noticed it before, he lives in another universe, where the laws of physics are different.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #118
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I can do 68mph without a bike at all. And now?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #119
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 230
Massive power in the hands of a skilled and experienced rider is one thing, but put that in the hands of a new rider and we all know there will likely be trouble. Besides sudden death or huge traffic fines, too much bike for the rider can encourage sloppy and even dangerous riding habits. The rider of a smaller bike must learn skills of cornering, shifting, and braking if they plan to get the bike to perform well and can often do that within legal limits while still having fun.

If a person's idea of fun on a motorcycle is just to experience g forces then it's cheaper and safer to go ride a roller coaster.
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #120
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tugly View Post
it's cheaper and safer to go ride a roller coaster.
But roller coasters aren't as much fun as motorcycles. (OK, that's from a big bike rider's perspective, compared to small bikes roller coasters might not be that bad.)