Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #91
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Not so far. My spidey senses are pretty sharp.

OK.
Better be damn sharp, you just lost time he didn't...

Two fingers on brakes was what I learned in trials riding in 1971! Fine control of throttle and braking.

I doubt anyone actually covers the clutch and/or brake all the time. I don't. But in/around traffic and in performance riding, including dirt/gravel, I have fingers on the brakes. In gravel it can be vital to slowing and stopping on down hills. You need to brake with both brakes, plus keep the back wheel turning to not lock it and stall the engine. Again, trials training.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #92
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Better be damn sharp, you just lost time he didn't...

Two fingers on brakes was what I learned in trials riding in 1971! Fine control of throttle and braking.

I doubt anyone actually covers the clutch and/or brake all the time. I don't. But in/around traffic and in performance riding, including dirt/gravel, I have fingers on the brakes. In gravel it can be vital to slowing and stopping on down hills. You need to brake with both brakes, plus keep the back wheel turning to not lock it and stall the engine. Again, trials training.
Trials riding and rolling down empty back highways are two different things, as are decending gravel slopes and negotiating a busy roundabout.

This thread is about people advocating doing exactly that, covering the levers at all times.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #93
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Trials riding and rolling down empty back highways are two different things, as are decending gravel slopes and negotiating a busy roundabout.

This thread is about people advocating doing exactly that, covering the levers at all times.

No, that wasn't it at all. The topic seems to have question marks in it. Thus inviting opinions and thoughts.

Therefore I expressed my thoughts and some experience gained over the years.

That and the rolling down empty back highways - like Ohio SR164, 555, 646, 536, and 541 - quite often invite two fingers on a brake lever for some brisk fun riding! Real roads with real curves that require real attention.

I take it you have actually done some serious trials riding to have that voice of authority?

Mark - klx678
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #94
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
No, that wasn't it at all. The topic seems to have question marks in it. Thus inviting opinions and thoughts.

Therefore I expressed my thoughts and some experience gained over the years.

That and the rolling down empty back highways - like Ohio SR164, 555, 646, 536, and 541 - quite often invite two fingers on a brake lever for some brisk fun riding! Real roads with real curves that require real attention.

I take it you have actually done some serious trials riding to have that voice of authority?
Looks like you're near the Hocking Hills area?

Up here, we have a big problem with deer. That's another good reason for covering the front brake. I've had a couple of near misses, and a friend hit one and killed it and was hurt as well.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #95
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Looks like you're near the Hocking Hills area?

Up here, we have a big problem with deer. That's another good reason for covering the front brake. I've had a couple of near misses, and a friend hit one and killed it and was hurt as well.
I am near the Hocking Hills, but spent most of my life further east in Ohio. Hundreds of little dirt/gravel roads, thousands of miles. Many were the meandering trails followed by livestock and people working their way around the hills. A lot of fun riding. We can go 150 miles spending at least 50% on dirt/gravel and wouldn't be more than 20 miles from home as the crow flies.

We are discussing doing a dual sport weekend up in the northern half of the lower peninsula. My brother goofed around up there on his dual sport and said there were a lot of back roads up around Pestosky/Cheboygan area. Our grandfather lived on Douglas Lake, just below Mackanaw.

Mark - klx678
Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #96
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
I am near the Hocking Hills, but spent most of my life further east in Ohio. Hundreds of little dirt/gravel roads, thousands of miles. Many were the meandering trails followed by livestock and people working their way around the hills. A lot of fun riding. We can go 150 miles spending at least 50% on dirt/gravel and wouldn't be more than 20 miles from home as the crow flies.

We are discussing doing a dual sport weekend up in the northern half of the lower peninsula. My brother goofed around up there on his dual sport and said there were a lot of back roads up around Pestosky/Cheboygan area. Our grandfather lived on Douglas Lake, just below Mackanaw.
MI has plenty of unpaved back roads to ride. Go to the Michigan Cycle Conservation Club's website. There's lots of information there:

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote