Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #31
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
If I was doing a coast to coast ride or a iron butt ride of any type and staying on good roads I would choose and FJR. very comfortable, great wind protection, good range and tons of power. for everything else my 1190 Adventure will work just fine.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
If I was doing a coast to coast ride or a iron butt ride of any type and staying on good roads I would choose and FJR. very comfortable, great wind protection, good range and tons of power. for everything else my 1190 Adventure will work just fine.
Doesn't have to be coast to coast or iron butt. I have yet to do either but mostly just weekend trips. The FJR doesn't know where its going or for how long. The comfort, wind protection, range and power is great, whether the ride is 2 hours, 2 days, or two months.
I had a strom then a CBF1000 which I sold last summer. I debated the last six months on which bike to replace it with, a tenere or FJR. I factored that only a very small portion of my riding will be off pavement, and that would be just campgrounds. I chose an FJR.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #33
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,613
I much prefer being eye-to-eye with SUV drivers on my GS. In some cases I have a better view. It's more comfortable and less tiring to ride long distances than a sport-tourer IMO. The ST might be better for sustained high speeds (100+) but that's not really an issue as there's hardly anywhere you can even think about doing that anyway.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
@Pecha72

How the heck could weight be related to rain?
Weight and geometry make a big difference if the bike starts to slide around ?.

It's not JUST the rain that's a problem, potholes fill up and disappear, as does broken seal, oil becomes impossible to see.

A slide on my DL really is a non-event, and I do ride the nasty back roads in the rain on that, a heavier bike with smaller bars (less leverage), smaller lock to lock steering angle and yes, more power becomes a handful a lot sooner.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #35
claude512
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
try a MTS1200 (but only if you have the money to buy one )
seriously, it's a sport bike with upright riding position

and that gets us to the main point for me, riding ergonomics! ST type bikes are sportier riding position, with all the pros and cons that entails
I've ridden a big ninja, regularily ride a GSX-R 1300 (if i want to), and I bought a MTS, to me for the type of riding I do it just makes more sense (and I do NO dirt riding at all). It's just more comfortable, upright riding position makes for better view angle... oh and it has an engine that makes most ST type bikes blush

seriously, try one!
claude512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #36
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
So I'm curious what the advantages and disadvantanges there are between a long travel bike vs a short travel bike on paved roads. If one isn't planning on riding dirt, and still looking for a really nice handing bike, is there any reason at all to look at bikes like the MTS1200?
I likez the power, wind protection, reliability 'n low maintenance of the FJR mahself. 'N fer me it werks just fine off road or thrash'in goat trailz too.

You youngsters iz alwayz find'in shortcomings in yer bikes when y'all should be look'in in the mirror at yerselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
There was an article somewhere a couple years ago about a test between sport tourers, and the camera/chase bike was a R1200GS. By the end of the weekend, all the riders involved in the test agreed that he best sport tourer they had ridden was.....the GS.

I think the point is, unless you are planning on traveling at high warp speeds on the interstate for days on end, an adventure type bike has a more comfortable seating position, better suspension, handles just as good or better in the twisties, and can explore those gravel and dirt side roads without the fear of scratching the $hit out of your fairings if you drop it in the gravel at 2 mph.

EDIT:

Found that article, there's a link. Pretty good read.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010AugGS.pdf
Oh yeah, I rember this; the lamest article I dun ever read.
Anybody who thinks the fragile, agricultural, dry clutch tranny on that vintage pos R bike, shifts bettah than them ST bikes, don't know the 1st thang 'bout ride'in.
Anybody who thinks that weak sauce, fragile twin (It haz soul!) iz a bettah motor that them thar ST bikes, don't know shit 'bout ride'in. MCN dun showed me their staff don't know shit 'bout bikes!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #37
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
I likez the power, wind protection, reliability 'n low maintenance of the FJR mahself. 'N fer me it werks just fine off road or thrash'in goat trailz too.
Let me show you some REAL off road sometime. How do you think it would work on something like this, up above Downieville?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #38
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Weight and geometry make a big difference if the bike starts to slide around ?
I was talking about rain, not about conditions where one is sliding around.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
All of you ride whatever bikes you want to ride.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #40
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Let me show you some REAL off road sometime. How do you think it would work on something like this, up above Downieville?
GIven my skill set- just fine. It'd get high-centered in the first 20 feet, before I could hurt myself, instead of half a mile in where nobody'd see me and I'd have to cut my own leg off to get back to where someone might help me.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #41
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
As long as you always stay on paved roads an adventure style bike is useless. There's everything out there from sporty to comfy and all in all it's just better. Only if you are very tall and/or have long legs, the adv style bike might come handy on Pved roads, but still in general the suspension will be too soft.
I bought an R1100GS primarily as a street bike that I could occasionally take on a dirt road. Useless? Lets see. It was nearly as good of a two up touring bike as my Venture 1200. Solo I rode up to 800 miles per day. It worked as well as my buddies Duc 916/GSXR750/900RR etc for sport riding in the smokies. There was nothing that it didn't do well except for real off road riding. There simply wasn't another bike available that could match it for overall performance at that time. Shorter travel BMW's like the R1100RS couldn't match it as a sport bike without modifications due to lack of cornering clearance.

One of the biggest advantages of most ADV style bikes is the wide handlebars and upright seating position which makes them feel lighter. For example, I swapped bikes with friend on occasion. Compared to the R1100GS an RC51 or CBR600F3 felt heavy, even though they where lighter bikes.

The R1200GS is a big improvement over my old R1100GS. I would pick it over any current sport touring bike.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #42
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
For me, it's about ergonomics. The upright position of most of the adventure-touring bikes is really comfortable.

However, my sport-touring bike gets most of the miles.
+1. I'm surprised so many are going on about suspension travel (which can be compensated for at least in part with adjustment/rebuilding/etc.) when something as basic as ergos can get overlooked. (of course ergos can be adjusted as well!)

If you go to cycle-ergo.com (or sit on a bike, if you have access) you'll notice sport touring bikes (F800ST, VFR, Ninja 1000 and the like) have more forward lean which puts your weight on your wrists at low speed/no acceleration. However, as you get up to speed, the acceleration force plus wind force takes the weight off your wrists. So for a given amount of forward lean, there is a given speed/acceleration combo that holds you up perfectly, without the need to put any weight off your wrists (while taking some tiny bit of weight off your bum too!).

IMO it's easier to be on an upright bike and lean forward when the wind/acceleration picks up, as opposed to trying to lean back on a bike that has the bars far forward and low. But that's just my opinion.

ADV bikes are also generally taller and have less intense knee and hip bends. Whether you like this or not is down to preference - it's all good in my book.

If I were describing the two bikes to someone who had never seen either, I'd say ADV bikes were descended (LONG descended) from the big dirtbikes that raced in Dakar and stuff while sport tourers were descended from sportbikes. Both are distance oriented and both are well loved by a lot of people. It's just two directions from which to approach the same problem.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #43
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Recon I'd need the FZ6 (dirtbike) fer that.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #44
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
+1. I'm surprised so many are going on about suspension travel (which can be compensated for at least in part with adjustment/rebuilding/etc.) when something as basic as ergos can get overlooked. (of course ergos can be adjusted as well!)

If you go to cycle-ergo.com (or sit on a bike, if you have access) you'll notice sport touring bikes (F800ST, VFR, Ninja 1000 and the like) have more forward lean which puts your weight on your wrists at low speed/no acceleration. However, as you get up to speed, the acceleration force plus wind force takes the weight off your wrists. So for a given amount of forward lean, there is a given speed/acceleration combo that holds you up perfectly, without the need to put any weight off your wrists (while taking some tiny bit of weight off your bum too!).

IMO it's easier to be on an upright bike and lean forward when the wind/acceleration picks up, as opposed to trying to lean back on a bike that has the bars far forward and low. But that's just my opinion.

ADV bikes are also generally taller and have less intense knee and hip bends. Whether you like this or not is down to preference - it's all good in my book.

If I were describing the two bikes to someone who had never seen either, I'd say ADV bikes were descended (LONG descended) from the big dirtbikes that raced in Dakar and stuff while sport tourers were descended from sportbikes. Both are distance oriented and both are well loved by a lot of people. It's just two directions from which to approach the same problem.
At 6'4" this above becomes the hit or miss for all day in the saddle. I'm all done with sport touring torture racks. The Triumph Explorer will put the sport in touring all day long with a happy back and passenger.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #45
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post

You youngsters iz alwayz find'in shortcomings in yer bikes when y'all should be look'in in the mirror at yerselves.

Oh yeah, I rember this; the lamest article I dun ever read.
Anybody who thinks the fragile, agricultural, dry clutch tranny on that vintage pos R bike, shifts bettah than them ST bikes, don't know the 1st thang 'bout ride'in.
Anybody who thinks that weak sauce, fragile twin (It haz soul!) iz a bettah motor that them thar ST bikes, don't know shit 'bout ride'in. MCN dun showed me their staff don't know shit 'bout bikes!

Drinking and typing....not a great combination for you, is it?
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote