ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
KamLeeR OP
Animal Adventurer
 
KamLeeR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Valley Mills, Texas
Oddometer: 151
Is ABS overrated on the 990?

I've had more people say they wouldn't own a bike without ABS. Heck all the bikes I've ridden, KLRs, 950s, etc have not had ABS. The BMW 1200 GS I own now is the first bike I've ridden with ABS. This GS is a heavy feel and they might be good to have on freeways, but the 990 seems fine without. When it comes to selling these beasts, people want ABS, but is there that much of a safety standpoint with having ABS? I've heard the KTM ABS is not up to par like BMWs.

I heard all the KTM road bikes will have ABS now, even the 690, really?
__________________
Carolyn

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
nevermind
sLOW Rider
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamLeeR View Post
I've had more people say they wouldn't own a bike without ABS. Heck all the bikes I've ridden, KLRs, 950s, etc have not had ABS. The BMW 1200 GS I own now is the first bike I've ridden with ABS. This GS is a heavy feel and they might be good to have on freeways, but the 990 seems fine without. When it comes to selling these beasts, people want ABS, but is there that much of a safety standpoint with having ABS? I've heard the KTM ABS is not up to par like BMWs.

I heard all the KTM road bikes will have ABS now, even the 690, really?

Do you ever ride where the road surface might be a little slippery due to other vehicles dropping fluids or perhaps a tad wet from a brief shower?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,933
I do. Do I need ABS?
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2005 Ducati ST3
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Rsquared
Echo
 
Rsquared's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 109
I won't own another street bike without ABS...
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
Rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?
 
JoeMongo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
Oddometer: 425
Thumbs down I'm heading towards living in the other camp. . .

I rode BMWs with their poor ABS for a very long time, then added a VFR with it's non-intrusive ABS for a long time, then added a DRZ with no traction, no power, no brakes, and no ABS. I had more fun learning to slide both ends of that bike around my neighborhood and out in the dirt than I ever would have expected. No crashes due to locking up the brakes. Lots of slides, both intended and not intended.

I do ride the DRZ like a dirtbike (go figure), keeping my weight near or over the contact patch. If I leaned it over while hanging off the inside, I'd be on my ass the first time it slid during late braking entering a turn, or panic braking for a dog in the road, or whatever.

Now I have a 990 Adv. with ABS. It is easily the most intrusive ABS I have ever been subjected to, but that feeling may be somewhat influenced by the recent experience riding the DRZ. I have since sold my last BMW and my VFR, both of which were great street bikes, and neither were any good in the dirt.

The ABS on my 990 isn't even any good on the street. It keeps releasing my brakes when I am trying to use them to control the bike. It's not subtle at all, like my VFR was (to be honest, I never did feel the VFR ABS operate). It's even more of a sudden release, and occurs much sooner, than my BMWs did. Maybe the newer BMWs have better ABS. I don't know.

I've started reading up on removing the ABS from my 990. It looks like two brake lines and one speed sensor, and a couple of hours, will do it. I'm waiting as long as I can stand before removing it, but that day gets closer every time the ABS operates.
__________________
'08 990 ADV, '03 DR-Z400S

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
KamLeeR OP
Animal Adventurer
 
KamLeeR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Valley Mills, Texas
Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
I rode BMWs with their poor ABS for a very long time, then added a VFR with it's non-intrusive ABS for a long time, then added a DRZ with no traction, no power, no brakes, and no ABS. I had more fun learning to slide both ends of that bike around my neighborhood and out in the dirt than I ever would have expected. No crashes due to locking up the brakes. Lots of slides, both intended and not intended.

I do ride the DRZ like a dirtbike (go figure), keeping my weight near or over the contact patch. If I leaned it over while hanging off the inside, I'd be on my ass the first time it slid during late braking entering a turn, or panic braking for a dog in the road, or whatever.

Now I have a 990 Adv. with ABS. It is easily the most intrusive ABS I have ever been subjected to, but that feeling may be somewhat influenced by the recent experience riding the DRZ. I have since sold my last BMW and my VFR, both of which were great street bikes, and neither were any good in the dirt.

The ABS on my 990 isn't even any good on the street. It keeps releasing my brakes when I am trying to use them to control the bike. It's not subtle at all, like my VFR was (to be honest, I never did feel the VFR ABS operate). It's even more of a sudden release, and occurs much sooner, than my BMWs did. Maybe the newer BMWs have better ABS. I don't know.

I've started reading up on removing the ABS from my 990. It looks like two brake lines and one speed sensor, and a couple of hours, will do it. I'm waiting as long as I can stand before removing it, but that day gets closer every time the ABS operates.
Thanks for your info! That's one reason why I bought the Baja. Some folks have me thinking selling it since it has no ABS. I rode my 950 all over and never had any issues with wishing I had ABS. I know its probally 50/50 on whether to have ABS or not, guess its how you ride the bike. Id rather not have it then have it go haywire on me and have no predictable control.
__________________
Carolyn

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
EZ300
Studly Adventurer
 
EZ300's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: ARIDZONA
Oddometer: 978
I'm also thinking about removing my ABS. It really is obtrusive. While stopping I hard I know it's there so I brake hard and when the ABS "does it's thing" the clamping and unclamping is unsettling. I'd rather depend on myself. Offroad I forget to turn it off and get in a lot of trouble.

I just convinced myself,... I'm going to remove mine.
__________________
EZ
AMRA
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
bomose
Beastly Adventurer
 
bomose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoover,Al
Oddometer: 1,116
I've just bought a 2011 Dakar after putting many miles on my 950.. It will be my first bike with ABS. I've only put 400 miles on it, but haven't noticed the ABS at all, although I haven't put it through the paces. It will be interesting to see how it does. I could definitely live without it. One thing is the ABS shouldn't kick in until traction is lost so I don't understand how so many people think they feel it unless they are on the edge all the time, or on the track. I guess I'll find out when the weather improves. Until then, I'll leave it on.
__________________
I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length-Avicenna
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810149 Ouray Adv
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800723 Cortez & Moab
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid
 
Katoom119's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 1,811
Is ABS overrated? Absolutely not. Anyone that has seen the BMW demo where the guy rides on wet, soapy pavement with and without ABS can attest to that.

Is the ABS on the 990 overrated? Yup. It's a hunk of shit.

As JoeMongo said, I've ridden BMW's and VFR's with ABS enough to know what a good one is supposed to feel like. While its inevitable that you'll get some clicking/stutter in the bike from the momentary locking and releasing of the wheels, it shouldn't be so obtrusive as to take your concentration away from whatever it is you're trying to avoid.

The KTM system, at least on my 08 990, was like riding a jackhammer in an earthquake.

I could brake hard enough with the front brake up on dry pavement in the mountains, with the Pirelli Scorpions, that the instant I touched the rear brake to keep the bike tracking straight it would kick in. The rear wasn't so bad as it just didn't do anything. The front would literally make the bars jump in my hands. I would do panic braking drills in an empty parking lot (which has saved my ass before and saved a friend from t-boning a car on my other bike) and I had more control over the bike when the ABS was turned off. Also I got tired of turning the damn thing off every time I wanted to ride off road. Yes, I know you can simply wire in another switch, but I didn't like it on the street either, so I just ripped it all out.

Pulling the ABS helped the feel in the brake lines, gave me more control over the bike (not how fast it stops, but how it behaves while it's stopping), and on the plus side gave me some more room under the seat.

Now I just listen for the howl...
__________________
Those who dance are considered crazy by those who do not hear the music.
I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. - Radmacher

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer
 
Katoom72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 830
The 990 ABS has to be the worst on the market (just Like the EFI) the 1190 on the other hand is the best i have ever tested
__________________
Now:
'03 KTM 250sx -- '05 KTM Adventure 950
Before:
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,937
I have never ridden a bike with ABS until I had my 990. By all accounts there are other systems that work much better. That said I have the ABS save my sorry arse more than once on everything from Ice to dry pavement. I am not in a hurry to get rid off it (on the front at least, the rear well maybe).
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 391
I understand that the feeling of abs activation is a little unnerving but feel that a bike with abs will stop sooner than a bike without it.
__________________
09 GSA
11 F800gs
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Is ABS overrated? Absolutely not. Anyone that has seen the BMW demo where the guy rides on wet, soapy pavement with and without ABS can attest to that.

Is the ABS on the 990 overrated? Yup. It's a hunk of shit.

As JoeMongo said, I've ridden BMW's and VFR's with ABS enough to know what a good one is supposed to feel like. While its inevitable that you'll get some clicking/stutter in the bike from the momentary locking and releasing of the wheels, it shouldn't be so obtrusive as to take your concentration away from whatever it is you're trying to avoid.

The KTM system, at least on my 08 990, was like riding a jackhammer in an earthquake.

I could brake hard enough with the front brake up on dry pavement in the mountains, with the Pirelli Scorpions, that the instant I touched the rear brake to keep the bike tracking straight it would kick in. The rear wasn't so bad as it just didn't do anything. The front would literally make the bars jump in my hands. I would do panic braking drills in an empty parking lot (which has saved my ass before and saved a friend from t-boning a car on my other bike) and I had more control over the bike when the ABS was turned off. Also I got tired of turning the damn thing off every time I wanted to ride off road. Yes, I know you can simply wire in another switch, but I didn't like it on the street either, so I just ripped it all out.

Pulling the ABS helped the feel in the brake lines, gave me more control over the bike (not how fast it stops, but how it behaves while it's stopping), and on the plus side gave me some more room under the seat.

Now I just listen for the howl...
+1

990 abs is total crap, it's my next mod (remove and throw in trash).

To me putting ABS on the 990 in the first place was a bad Idea. The bike is ment to be in the dirt sure you can tour with it but there's a lot of other better choices for that.
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
+1

990 abs is total crap, it's my next mod (remove and throw in trash).

To me putting ABS on the 990 in the first place was a bad Idea. The bike is ment to be in the dirt sure you can tour with it but there's a lot of other better choices for that.
Yeah, then you haven't ridden total crap. Try an early BMW R1100GS or F650GS. These are dangerous. I've had a total run away down a moderate gravel drive way while mashing on the brakes. There is no way you could get it to stop. The KTM 990 is WAAYY better. The new KTM's and BMW's are better.

If you replace the stock soft organic brake pads with semi-metallic, the ABS will be worse. If you have taller suspension, the ABS will kick in sooner.
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Pulling the ABS helped the feel in the brake lines, gave me more control over the bike (not how fast it stops, but how it behaves while it's stopping), and on the plus side gave me some more room under the seat.

Now I just listen for the howl...
Absolutely true of my 07-990.
Shoulda pulled it all out many years ago.
"How it behaves WHILE stopping" is MUCH improved.

I have heard/read the 1190 ABS is significantly better, but for me, unless it is a street only bike, I would skip it. If I lived in a city and rode with traffic re regularly, I would likely want it.

Practice your panic stops. On pavement and on dirt. A 1-hour course with Jimmy Lewis at the 2012 KTM Rally taught the importance and advantages of this. I LOVE to hammer hard on my front brake off-pavement. It is so satisfying to get that right.
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014