Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Ridden thousands of miles on bikes with and without abs and linked brakes, professionally on BMWs and Honda ST1100, and privately on BMW’s and my KTM 990 and Harley’s.

My personal feeling is that the KTM ABS is the worst of the lot. I wanted the underseat tank so removed it and to date haven’t regretted, the brakes have much more feel without the ABS. Not a long job took me about ¾ of an hour, only advice I would give is, go with two front hoses and a double length banjo bolt, so each brake has its own hose from the master cylinder to the calliper, a) it makes for a really easy install, b) it gives great feel at the leaver, c) saves money on the spliter and finding somewhere to mount it.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,048
the rear abs is very very sensitive, and kinda sucks. the front abs is not that bad. i don't mind switching it off while offroad, and usually leave it enabled while on road.

although i am a very capable offroad rider, i know the abs will pay off while loaded up on a multi day trip, after 14 hours of riding, when i am tired and a deer/moose/car pops out in front of me... i can just grab a handfull and it will stop the bike.

you have to be kidding yourself if you think you will be as sharp/quick after riding 600-1000 miles as when you were when you first started in the morning. so, abs switch for me, and i will leave the plumbing intact.

*edit* my bike is a 2012, so i am not sure if there were updates from the earlier bikes or not.
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014

Rodknee screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 08:25 AM
Rodknee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
richtidebruin
Lurking since 2003..

Oddometer: 12
From my experience on a 2010 990 std, I felt the ABS was more worthwhile on the front than the back, to help prevent a front wheel wash-out. FWIW, I always felt any benefit was primarily street related, but I am not as hare-core an off-roader as a lot of us on the forum. But I don't understand the fuss, since as I recall it can be turned-off.
richtidebruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
ABS yes or no or both?

its really easy to wire in a switch so you can turn it on or off as you wish, no screwing around with holding the button crap. There are several write ups on here about how to do it. Off road the ABS is scarry, I doesn't bother me on black stuff.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
I had the 990R so no ABS, 20k miles and not an issue (nor a crash). I don't see it as a necessity but rather a nice option for those times when maybe you have been out in the cold/rain miles from home and are perhaps a little tired and not paying attention. At that point the "save you ass" factor may come into play. for off roading or hooligan behavior simply turn it off, same goes for traction control on the 1190
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,318
Personally I want the brake line to go directly from the master cylinder to the caliper...that's all.

I have ABS...it's right between my ears.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Personally I want the brake line to go directly from the master cylinder to the caliper...that's all.

and you need a real dirtbike (not a 500lb. one) to keep it calibrated..
Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #23
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post

This

ABS goes well with skinny jeans, crew neck sweaters, and square framed glasses.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
I would still like a easy way on the 990 to disable it on the rear and have it work on the front for off-road use. Maybe there is a way to trick the rear sensor into thinking the rear wheel is still turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Brendan33c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I for one like the ABS on my bike (2008 990ADV). Although I add it is the first bike I've had with abs. I find it great on road, I can brake harder and later than I ever have. Sometimes I don't even turn it off when I'm off-road. If I'm on a hard packed gravel road then I just leave it on, its only really when things start getting greasy or muddy then I turn it off. Am I the only one who does this? everyone looks at me funny when I tell them this haha

I can only compare the KTM ABS to my dads BMW1200GS, its the only other bike I've ridden with ABS - I do think the BMW system is a little less intrusive, but you could still feel the brake pedal pulsing under your foot when braking hard.

Overall I think that the ABS is a massive bonus on the KTM, especially on semi knobbly tyres in the wet on pavement. Someone else made the point that at the end of a long day off road when you're feeling tired its nice to know its there for the slab home - I couldn't agree more. It saved me a couple of times when I've been cold, wet and tired on the slab home.

And... you don't have to use it, you can always turn it off.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 442
ABS can be a good thing!

Never to keep quite during a debate I will throw in the I don't think about the ABS on my 08 990 adv even when it goes off. This is due to practicing using ABS.

For instants, off road going down a very steep hill I will try to set off the ABS and use it to crawl down hill. Yes this is very steep stuff and the big 990 can get out of control if the back brake is locked up. Using the ABS I have found it is a very good way to keep the bike strait and give good control diving down. OK, you can be good on the brakes and do the same thing and this is only one example of using ABS to your advantage.

The point is if someone practices using the ABS, even the hammering 990 type, ABS can be used to your advantage.
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #27
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Never to keep quite during a debate I will throw in the I don't think about the ABS on my 08 990 adv even when it goes off. This is due to practicing using ABS.

For instants, off road going down a very steep hill I will try to set off the ABS and use it to crawl down hill. Yes this is very steep stuff and the big 990 can get out of control if the back brake is locked up. Using the ABS I have found it is a very good way to keep the bike strait and give good control diving down. OK, you can be good on the brakes and do the same thing and this is only one example of using ABS to your advantage.

The point is if someone practices using the ABS, even the hammering 990 type, ABS can be used to your advantage.
maybe it is my years of off road riding, but I don't see how you can ride off road without locking the rear occasionally to get you around a corner?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #28
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
maybe it is my years of off road riding, but I don't see how you can ride off road without locking the rear occasionally to get you around a corner?
For this the ABS great! (IMHO) Hammer the brake, the back steps out in a nice controlled way as the back wheel still turns. The ABS on the back is shitty over jumps and anywhere the back wheel leaves the ground.

For me boiling the fluid is a much worse problem than the ABS (something these big things do all too easily even with fresh fluid, pads and even a new rotor).

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post

For me boiling the fluid is a much worse problem than the ABS (something these big things do all too easily even with fresh fluid, pads and even a new rotor).
I've never had trouble with the fronts, but the rear fades way too easily. the 1190 is the first bike I've had with ABS (my 990R didn't have it) so I'm sure their will be a learning curve. My instinct is to turn it off, but with the offroad setting that only controls the front I will give it a try.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #30
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
I've never had trouble with the fronts, but the rear fades way too easily. the 1190 is the first bike I've had with ABS (my 990R didn't have it) so I'm sure their will be a learning curve. My instinct is to turn it off, but with the offroad setting that only controls the front I will give it a try.
Yep only the rear, but at least it is predictable - I usually know which corner I will loose the pedal pressure on (I always check the pedal before I need it anyway).

But back to the ABS - I think the off road mode of the 1190 is spot on, ABS on the front and not on the back. Be interested if it could be retrofitted to a 990.

Quote: