User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #31
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Someday is Here!

Manuelsv - Thanks for the offer of info. Will be contacting later.
Potski - Welcome to the near future ride.
GR8GRINS - Brad. Just keep shoveling to the south.
Marine by Choice - 67, Keith, Send R.R.'s.
Shag - w/2013 TW200. Quit Posting. Get ridin'.
mjs3800 - Welcome aboard. It should be a fun ride.
McRoss - My Weestrom took a dirt nap outside Coldfoot, AK. Great bike anyway.
FlyinB - Dammit Bruce, Get a Passport and get down here.
Redog1 - 75 will seem like two weeks away when you get here.
Theofam - 45 & raising a family. Raising kids is UNDER Rated. Do the best job you can. We really need some leaders in this next generation. Ones with brains!
TWFLYBUM - I challenge you to find someone that bad mouths the TW. I haven't been able too.
Madeoutaglass - I'll be on the road until I return. . . O.K. 6 - 8 weeks or months (?) Are you riding the Ural down?
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #32
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
This looks like it will be fun and full of adventure.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #33
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Another septuagenarian checking in for the long haul. And here I sit with the
siren song from the little XT225 sitting, gathering spider webs in the shed.

Ride on..........
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #34
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 830
Godspeed, John. You're gonna have a blast! Mrs. Trip and I just got back from this trip: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...0.kbwf9WV4nUug on our TW200's about a week ago. Unfortunately, we had to cut our trip short at La Paz, and head straight back.
Ignore the naysayers, the TW200's are awesome bikes for Mexico...long as you're not in a hurry!

PS: The Ruta Rio Sonora is a beautiful ride south from the border...you can pick it up in Cananea. We did our first day down to Banamichi and stayed at the Hotel Los Arcos. Its owned by an inmate and a TW owner...make him go for a ride! Highly recommended: although a little higher than your standard Mexican fare, its well worth it! http://www.losarcossonora.com/ We stayed there for 3 nites...2 going, one coming back!

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com

Rhode trip screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 03:35 PM
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #35
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is here!

Ahoy Admiral. I hope to see you at the Elk City, Idaho TW200 gathering on 19-20 July or when ever it ends up being.
PRSDRAT - That xt225 needs a dusting - in the wind - Black Canyon north of Ramona is calling.
RHODE trip - You certainly had a great circle route. I have been fortunate enough to run up and down the Baja Peninsula several times, but have only gotten as far as Guaymas on the mainland. I hope to hit Banamichi later this year on a run towards Copper Canyon. I am heading directly for San Carlos to check on my boat this trip. Anyone interested in a 1971, 36' Gulfstar motorsailer? Boy Howdy! Have I got a deal for you ! ! !
As an aside: I bought my 2005 TW200 with 400 miles on it last year. I've since put 950 more miles on it. I have virtually no doubts about its abilities. I am the limiting factor.
Tomorrow - the fun begins. Anxious to go John
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #36
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Ahoy Admiral. I hope to see you at the Elk City, Idaho TW200 gathering on 19-20 July or when ever it ends up being.
PRSDRAT - That xt225 needs a dusting - in the wind - Black Canyon north of Ramona is calling.
RHODE trip - You certainly had a great circle route. I have been fortunate enough to run up and down the Baja Peninsula several times, but have only gotten as far as Guaymas on the mainland. I hope to hit Banamichi later this year on a run towards Copper Canyon. I am heading directly for San Carlos to check on my boat this trip. Anyone interested in a 1971, 36' Gulfstar motorsailer? Boy Howdy! Have I got a deal for you ! ! !
As an aside: I bought my 2005 TW200 with 400 miles on it last year. I've since put 950 more miles on it. I have virtually no doubts about its abilities. I am the limiting factor.
Tomorrow - the fun begins. Anxious to go John
Tell me more about your rag hauler..

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #37
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rag Hauler

ST rydr P.M. Sent............. John
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #38
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is here!

Up before dawn and rearin' to ride. 39 degrees outside the hangar. I'm not as rarin'. Put on the cold weather overpants, slide a neck warmer over the knob on top, do the sideways dance to crawl atop the bike and start the ride.
There is not a lot of choice in picking roads from Salome, AZ to Nogales. It is 80%, 4 lane - go like hell - traffic with the speed limit pegged at 75. On every other bike I own, 75 is a breeze. On the TW200 - well 75 kilometers would be more to its liking. I buzzed along at 55 - 60 mph with the RPM hovering around the 6500 mark. I watched the mirrors and only had to swerve onto the berm once to avoid any kind of altercation.
The sky stayed overcast and Virga (Rain that doesn't reach the ground) could be seen several times throughout the day. The temperature never climbed above 55 degrees.
Days statistics: Lunch $11.90
Dinner $ 7.05
Gas $ 7.75
Motel $38.50
Total $65.20
MPG = 76.1
I am spending the night at the ubiquitous Motel 6 in Nogales, Arizona. Why? Because I like to cross the border in the morning. The Arizona side of the twin cities has a population of 21,000 folks.
The Mexican Nogales has a population of 221,000. The main highway through downtown traverses 5 miles of urbanity. That's 5 miles of true Adventure riding. Much of the route feels like very narrow streets, because where there are in reality, two wide lanes, the buses, trucks, taxi's and occasional carts, cars, mopeds and us transit an imaginary four lane road. Just relax, inhale the diesel exhaust laden air, go with the flow and eventually dribble out the south side of the city on a four lane divided highway leading to the entry point where Migration, Aduana and Bank are located. OR take the truck route (Clearly marked leading into Nogales, AZ) and miss 90% of the City and come out onto the main highway just before the Entry Station.
It is a great place to make an entry. If this is your first Mexican entry, again relax. Signs in English lead you from one step to the next. All you need to know is : Start at Migration. The office closest to the parking lot. This is where you apply to get your Visitor's card good for 180 days. Fill out the application, hand it to the Official and s/he wil tell you what to do and where to do it next. Most everyone speaks English. You can even purchase your Mexican Motorcycle Insurance on-site. Truly one stop shopping. On previous visits, the entire process has never taken more than one hour. That included the time to eat an ice cream cone purchased at the on-site Tienda.
.If you really want to speed up the process, follow the advice of TRICEPILOT. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927 Or look on ADVrider.com.. Look under the Thread - Trip Planning - Americas - Traveling in Mexico. Page one, under lead in by ARTE. He has links to getting Insurance and a T.V.I.P. prior to leaving home. He even explains what a T.V.I.P. is! (It is a vehicle pass.)
With the paperwork finished and a pocket full of Pesos, it is time to ride into the Mexico that the Old Hands rave about. Well, kind of. The first miles are not terribly exciting. After all, it is a four lane divided highway. Construction and re-paving will occasionally find a way to get everyone on one side or the other of the divider and create short lived congestion. Yes, there are a couple of toll booths to go through also. They are well marked and the attendant will give you a receipt showing the fare.
Sorry about the font color changes. Brain fade..

Very poor Wi-Fi here. Hope for better tomorrow with pictures. John
Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #39
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,308
and he is off..........

Sounds like a good start to an epic adventure forthcoming. Keep us posted and we will all be looking forward to the continued ride report and photos.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #40
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Subscribed. Remember, pics and more pics!
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #41
leben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Subscribed. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.
leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #42
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
no fumar espagnol!

subscribed, ride on!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #43
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
I am in!! You are an inspiration to me. Keep the pics and words coming.

"...OR take the truck route (Clearly marked leading into Nogales, AZ) and miss 90% of the City and come out onto the main highway just before the Entry Station.
It is a great place to make an entry. If this is your first Mexican entry, again relax. Signs in English lead you from one step to the next. All you need to know is : Start at Migration. The office closest to the parking lot. This is where you apply to get your Visitor's card good for 180 days. Fill out the application, hand it to the Official and s/he wil tell you what to do and where to do it next. Most everyone speaks English. You can even purchase your Mexican Motorcycle Insurance on-site. Truly one stop shopping. On previous visits, the entire process has never taken more than one hour. That included the time to eat an ice cream cone purchased at the on-site Tienda..."

I came out of Mexico via the truck route here....zero lines, zero wait and the ice cream was good! Then I hit the American crossing a few minutes later. Again, zero wait. In fact, the ICE agent simply smiled, asked me where I'd been over the past five weeks, and bade me welcome the US. He never even asked me for my passport....

Cheers,
Steve

AdventurePoser screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 10:50 AM
AdventurePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #44
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,530
Andale, arriba,"Speedy Gonzales" hungry for some spanish food pics and senoritas.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #45
Armchairman
Dreamer, Philosopher

Oddometer: 7
Best of luck, I'll be watching from here. The kids are nearly grown, and grown well into folks I'm proud of. Someday is almost here!