Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #46
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,701
I'm subscribed-----man you are going to have fun.

I get so mad at myself everytime I think about all the traveling I've done on big fast bikes-----------missing 75% of what's out there.

I love those TW's and I've been looking for one-------your's is set up just like I would set mine up.

"It takes 12 horsepower to ride around the world---the rest is wheelspin"

I didn't copy cat that quote---------it's my own.

Thanks for the story---on with it.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #47
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I'm subscribed-----man you are going to have fun.

I get so mad at myself everytime I think about all the traveling I've done on big fast bikes-----------missing 75% of what's out there.

I love those TW's and I've been looking for one-------your's is set up just like I would set mine up.

"It takes 12 horsepower to ride around the world---the rest is wheelspin"

I didn't copy cat that quote---------it's my own.

Thanks for the story---on with it.

BigDog
So, we TW riders only miss 25% of what's out there by not going fast enough then. Truth is, I probably miss 75% anyway, even while going slow!

I read all your adventures with that other guy you ride with alot too.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #48
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
So, we TW riders only miss 25% of what's out there by not going fast enough then. Truth is, I probably miss 75% anyway, even while going slow!

I read all your adventures with that other guy you ride with alot too.
Yes---Mr. Dingweeds----we ride those great big "Too" fast 250's

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 12:24 PM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #49
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I'am In

Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #50
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Madeoutaglass - I'll be on the road until I return. . . O.K. 6 - 8 weeks or months (?) Are you riding the Ural down?
This will be an FJR ride for me. I'll be watching your thread to see to see if I get close. If so I'll PM you.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #51
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Someday is here!

Man, I am behind the power curve here . . . tryin' to catch up.
Refocus - - - Welcome to this small Asylum
hanksmybuddy - --you want pictures? Well - - - O.K.
Leben from IA - - - 3rd post. At least you must be inside and not out frozen.
Vintage Speed - - - no fumar espagnoli ! ! ! Crashmaster lives in all of us
AdventurePoser - - - been through Nogales. At least you found what I' experienced - the same.
St Rdr - - - Pics of Spanish food and Senoritas. . . Hopefully manana . . .
Armchairman - - - In Cascadia w/kids almost grown . . . man don't let Somedfay slip on by.
Big Dog Adventures - - - 12 H.P. Works for me.
The Admiral - - - You balanced the equation for us
BigDog & Dingweeds - - - I have some home reading to do.
HardRoad - - - Also welcome.
Madeouttaglass - - - FJR headed south . . . I'll be the guy in the slow lane!

and now on with the Ride.
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #52
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

First things first. This is an "I wish. . . . . "

So there I was in my Motel 6 Suite ready for some restful hours. I sat on the bed. Thunk. Pulled the sheet off the mattress to see if it was made of discarded pieces of plywood or had actually been a mattress in a former life. After careful inspection . . . I haven't a clue. It was firm. How firm? Well I could bounce a coin on it without even straightening the sheet. O.K. It was better than a tent pitched on a gravel parking lot.
I hunkered down, took a refreshing sip of Capt. Morgan's favorite liquid, and affirmed that all was well. It was about then that my neighbor began to practice playing his chord on a cheap guitar. Chord is singular. If practice makes perfect - he's got that "C almost sharp" chord down pat. Fortunately he didn't have to practice alone. He had a non-descript ankle biter mutt tied to the door knob that lunged and thumped the door as s/he howled with delight(?) or total dismay(?). More Capt. Morgan. . . .
At 0545, I thought it was the perfect time to turn on the T.V. carefully bolted to my neighbor's intervening wall, and listen to the weather person extoll today's wonders. It had to be loud or I would not have been able to hear it while in the shower and the bathroom door shut. They promised a nice day... (It was.)
I thought about firing up the bike, but thought that might be a little over the top.

I asked when I checked in if anyone would be upset if I slept with my bike. The Clerk sorta mumbled, " Uh, I guess that would be alright." I didn't actually sleep with . . ., just kinda held hands.
Breakfast at International House of Pancakes where I ordered the "All you can eat Special". It was all I could eat . . . just one serving.
Followed the truck bypass for 21 kilometers from the Border before arriving at the: Migration/Aduana/Banco/Insurance/Ice Cream cone complex. There were only 4 people in line ahead of me. A matter of three or four minutes delay. I had followed Tricepilot's advice and procured my Insurance and T.V.I.P. on line. A fast pass through the Bank and the money exchange with a couple of stamps pounded onto my documents and I was on the road.
Signs like this are encouraging.

But are misleading. The Policia can still harass the hell out of you, but supposedly not about a vehicle import paper olong this stretch of Mexican terrain. They like weekend touristas with deep pockets.
I'm going to break this up into sections. sort of a relay thingie.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #53
Rynet
NewGal

Oddometer: 2
"ADV Flag, Peanut Butter, Energy Bars, Wiffle Balls, Girl's Hair Bands"

Hi John ,hehe I smiled when I read this . If you give wiffle balls to the border guys, who do you give Girls Hair bands to ?.....to the senoritas you hope to meet? and what is the flag from and for? pics of flag and wiffle balls please?

Looking forward to your ride report and pics . Love your writing style, all the details and oh yes the different colour and font types .

We don't have a single day here in SA when we can't ride bike, other than choosing to take the car to work on the odd hard rain day. Please put in more Spanish phrases , practicing for next year's armchair Dakar.

Enjoy your trip ! , what an experience .
Rynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #54
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Uh oh. . . I may be in trouble here. I haven't a photo to enhance this section... I'll fake it by just putting in a random photo of one of my other bikes.

O.K. I lied. It ain't a bike. But it does off-road work really well. (It's an RAF2000 Gyroplane. RAF stands for Rotary Air Force.)
Meanwhile. The brand new asphalt covering the two lanes headed south was great. They lasted about 25 miles as we followed a flat bottomed valley that is about a mile wide. Lots of mesquite, Palo Verde trees, low lying cactus and other prickly things cover the valley. We then went over a couple of rolling foothills and descended into an even wider flat bottomed valley. This catered to a lot of truck farms with HUGE plastic covered green houses followed by a new vineyard that followed the highway for over 5 miles. Can you imagine how many vines that holds . . . oh, it was about 1/4 mile wide.
I had to stop at the occasional toll booth to pay the piper. The fees are ridiculously small. Pocket change. EXCEPT my pocket change is in my pocket in my levis under my wind pants. At least everyone got a chuckle when I wiggled my arm into and out of my wind pants and promptly dropped the change on the pavement. Not being able to look straight down is a problem. When I have on a large, bulky jacket, a neck scarf, and a modular helmet strapped to my chin, maneuverability is less than ideal. To not hold traffic up, I pulled my bike over to the right of the traffic lane and went coin hunting between passing vehicles. I paid my fee, but at the first Toll Booth - I did not "Backtrack" into the traffic lane and drive across the sensor buried in the pavement. It is a "No No" to leave without passing over the sensor. Can you guess how I NOW KNOW THIS?
Safely(?) back on the highway where the speed limit is 100K. 60 mph + or -. I'm scooting along at a sveldt 55. I glance in the rear view mirrors and watch traffic approaching in my lane - well in excess of the posted limit. I ride close to the left hand side of the slow lane, watching and waiting for that split instant when the approaching driver swerves to his/her left to pass me while missing the rear fender by at least a foot or two. When they start to swerve, I swerve also - to the right! This upsets them because they have now missed me by 2 1/2 feet! This works with automobiles, huge buses, and semi trucks pulling two long trailers. Only riders on other motorcycles give me adequate clearance.
Hermosillo is a fair sized little town in the middle of the Sonoran desert. A mere 701,000 people call it home. It is also the home to a Ford Motor Company plant. Can you gusss what they manufacture? Anyway the main highway snakes its way through most of the town. There are moments when I am sure that I have seen certain sections more than once. The route is pretty well marked. However, if you are behind a large bus (they have giant buses) or a large truck, you can't see the road signs designating a turn until that magic moment when you see the arrow pointing in a different direction than you are headed. It just leads to a bit of Adventure riding.
Once out of Hermosillo, the terrain begins rolling again as the vegetation starts reducing. Less mesquite bushes, fewer Palo Verde trees and little cactus that looks anemic. Eventually - well not quite yet - the bike died. I mean no hiccough, belch - just died. I look at the kill switch - nope its O.K. The key is still on. Headlight burning. No berm. Standing on a 4 inch wide fog line as traffic swoops by inches away. Holy Batman. . . things are a bit tense. It acts like it is out of gas. I've gone 224 miles . . . hmmmmn. switch to reserve, hit the go button and away we go. WHAT ? ?? I have a 300 mile range with this big tank. That's 300 miles without a 15 to 20 mile per hour headwind. Duh! Gas milage really sucked - only 60 MPG.
I make it to San Carlos. Stop at Hotel Creston - been here before. Have dinner at Rose's Cantina. Rib eye steak with all the extras to celebrate my arrival. I really like this town. There a great many snowbirds here contributing to the economy. There is no trash blowing about. The policemen and fire fighters come across as professionals. Locals greet me with smiles. There are two beautiful harbors considered to be "Hurricane Holes". (Places to ride out a hurricane) All in all, a very nice town.
Tomorrow I shall attempt to photograph a few of the sights. Until then . . .
Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #55
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Whoops. I forgot that I am keeping track of expenses.
Breakfast . . . . $12.50
Lunch . . . .. . . ....$ 1.10
Dinner .................$20.00
Gas...................... $23.23
Motel ................ $41.66 (That's 500 pesos at 12 Pesos = $1.00)
Day's total ....... $98.50
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #56
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Here is a video showing a smidgen of San Carlos. You may notice that I love boats also.

I must find some Sun Block. I have spent the past few months in the Arizona desert and spent a lot of time in the sun. Yesterday - I sunburned my nose! Go figure.
Red beaked John
Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #57
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Yes. I know. (Si. Sabe.) The play arrow is missing. Just click in the middle of the square. It should play. I'm sorry. (Lo siento.) Technologically challenged. (Es stupido.) John
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #58
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Here is a video showing a smidgen of San Carlos. You may notice that I love boats also.

I must find some Sun Block. I have spent the past few months in the Arizona desert and spent a lot of time in the sun. Yesterday - I sunburned my nose! Go figure.
Red beaked John
Nice.............now I am going to have this tune in my head all day, whistling on down the road. Now, time to go for a ride, it's warming up.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #59
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

St rdr wanted food pics.

Good food. Caters to Norte Americanos
Menu

Divorced eggs (Eggs prepared two different ways)

Where I stayed

Access to parking area

Secure parking

Rynet asked from So. Afrca for a picture of the flag for ADVENTURE RIDER and of Wiffle balls. Here goes. . .

And now to hit the road...................... Running late, John
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #60
Boydtw200
n00b

Oddometer: 1
IoThe senoritas like it when u call them "muneca" (baby doll) .
Boydtw200 is offline   Reply With Quote