User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #61
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 455
Hi John,

You will probably see this anyway, but just in case. Take care yourself too.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/08/wo...html?hpt=hp_t2

Thoughly enjoying your lighthearted style of RR; looking forward to more.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #62
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Sub'd. Great report, like your style. Be safe.
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #63
zedXmick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Subscribed....Great RR....be safe and enjoy the journey!
zedXmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #64
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Someday ie Here!

Hi. First things first . . .

Breakfast............................68 Pesos ............$ 5.66
Lunch...................................100 Pesos.............$ 8.33
Dinner.................................. 90 Pesos.............$ 7.50
Toll Roads..........................127 Pesos.............$10.58
Gas......................................248 Pesos ..........$20.66
Sun Block............................184 Pesos............$15.33
Motel....................................522 Pesos..........$43.50
Total............................................. .....................$111.56

My how quickly the money goes.

I started the day in San Carlos, traversed Guaymas and sped southwards. (Sped at 50 mph that is)
For the next 50 miles or so, the road is never more than about 20 feet above sea level. Vegetation is thick. In fact it was like riding in a long green tunnel. Very few breaks in the walls of green. I thought it bizarre to see mixed in with the thick underbrush - Saguero and Organ Pipe cactus. There were a lot of the ankle biter prickly thingies along the roadway also.
The road moved a bit inland and I entered a zone of agriculture. That is the understatement of the year. I was raised in northern Indiana - the saying - knee high by 4th of July - described a good growing corn season. Well, here it is the 8th of February and the corn is 7 feet tall! ! ! Fields stretch from horizon to horizon. Each square field , without a break, is at least a quarter of a mile on each side. Approximately every ten miles are grain elevators and virtually tens of trucks unloading. This area is more impressive than California's central valley. Awesome.
I was racing the sun to reach Los Mochis before dark. I arrived at sundown. I didn't realize that the highway skirts town until I found myself out the other side. well, that wouldn't do, so I hung a right and followed small signs to Los Mochis Central. Great. . . except dusk lasts about 15 minutes. I lost the small signs and ended up in a barrio. Dark narrow streets, lots of dogs, loud music coming from open doorways, young men in pickup trucks suddenly stopping in front of me. I was beginning to strangle the hand grips when I came across a motorcycle patrolman.
I asked for help in locating a Motel. He said to follow him. I did for about two blocks when a vehicle blew a stop sign on a cross street. The cop waved to go straight ahead as he flipped on his lights and went in pursuit. I went straight. Straight into a long dark road leading out of town that ended with a steel barrier.
My Tom Tom GPS indicated I was off road. It was pitch dark black! I back tracked about 2 miles and found a street light working. Under its light I studied my paper map. It indicated that I was PERDIDO - LOST ! ! ! I plugged in the last town that I could remember as my new destination. (Tom said Los Mochis did not exist) The screen did not show any roads, but indicated a direction to follow to the highway. . . I wandered in that direction as various streets would allow. I finally found the highway - 5 miles north of Los Mochis. Whoopee ! Free . . . Free at last....
I spotted a Motel on the other side of the highway. Two miles later I was able to cross over and go back to it. It had no Wi-Fi, but did have in -suite entertainment options. I opted to continue my search for Wi-Fi. Second Motel - no Wi-Fi and no entertainment. Third Motel, no Hotel this time. . . Hotel Zar - 522 Pesos. Home.
Next door was a trucker's restaurant. I ordered a hanburgesa con queso with papas fritas. Thank goodness that I wasn't terribly hungry. The hamburger patty had been microwaved numerous times. A thin slice of cheese was not melted. The fries were like eating #2 lead pencils with a generous dose of katsup. Whew!
The hotel room was beautiful. Great firm bed. I slept 9 straight hours. A new day beckons. Rested John
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #65
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Still lovin it, John.
Interest peaked with that little bike. So much so that I have been making calls and looking at ads. Turns out that because of their popularity, they are somewhat of a rare item. One dealer told me that all last years models were out the door as soon as they came in. Would love to find a 2010 to 12 model but will see what comes about. One question. What's your weight? I'm crackin 200 working on 185. With 45 lbs of luggage I wouldn't want to crush the little fella.
But, I am imagining Central America on one next winter.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #66
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 160
I have always said when the GPS isn't working, you're unsure of your location, darkness falls and things look "sketchy" is when the adventure begins!! Obviously your adventure has begun!!

Be safe.
Keith
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Potski - had not seen that report. Have watched some of the confrontaions. . .
Longbow rider . . . Hello

Electrical plant just south of Guaymas. Three huge oil tanks to operate the plant.

View for 50 miles.

The cement posts are every 3 meters for hundreds of miles. Along with 5 strands of barbed wire. What a contract!

A "Rest" area? One couple having picnic in shade.

Lunch. Fish tacos 25P each.

How did she get them on?

Another variation

Small field

Food processor

Getting harder to find Wi-Fi. May miss a day or two. Seeking, John
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #68
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is here!

Marine by Choice... . .. Lost in Barrio - New Adventure Series comes to the Big Screen soon................

Toadride - The TW200 Forum has answered the question on loading or overloading this amazing little bike. I weigh 180 lbs with riding gear on. I am packing 44 pounds of essentials. The bigger tank and fuel add another 20 pounds or so. If I stand on the pegs and bounce - I can bottom out the suspension. I go really slow over the Topes. (Speed bumps) I have about 2 1/2 inches of bounce.
Stiffer fork springs and rear shock are available. I have seen new TW200's in three dealerships. None used.

The lifespan of an ad for a used TW200 is about 30 minutes on Craigslist. I bought mine sight unseen in Southern California when I was in Oregon.. I lucked out and got a bike as described in the ad. Good luck hunting . . . they are out there. Met a guy at breakfast who claims he has three. One at each of his homes . . . John
Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #69
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 455
Hi John

Thanks for the latest update on your ride; like the poolside parking..

Hadn't realised that there was such a following for the TW200; been checking out the stuff on here - very informative. Here in France they are generally only available as a 125 and even then second hand. I have been thinking of one for a while and spotted a couple of rare 200's available here, again second hand, expensive and old bikes too. So your ADVenture and choice John is very interesting.

By contrast, I notice Toadride has chipped in. Having owned a few Guzzi Calis, I like the Stelvio NTX's too, liked them since they came out; the yin and the yang I guess This is the great thing with bikes, if you can afford it why not have several..... And then there are aircraft...

Keep it coming

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #70
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,741
Laugh Enjoyed your video clip...

and the ride so far, thanks for taking us along and if you're going to have a song stuck in your head, that's a good one.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #71
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 815
Following along with your report John. Ride safe

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #72
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Jack Magger - - - I'm ridin' like I was in Scottsdale. Maybe shoukd be in a cage !
PotSki - - - In the Mountains . . . Ha! I pictured Colorado or Wyoming - NOT FRANCE . . . ..
Redog 1 - - - Have you been to Disney Whatever and heard: It's a small world afterall . . .Man. I had that damn dittie twirlin' around in my head for a week.

O.K. Down to yesterday:

From the Zar Side
I was really beat last night and sacked out at 10:00 P.M. Woke up at 0530 to check plumbing. Checked O.K. and fell back into bed. (A firm but resiliant, flat bed - was wonderful.) Woke up again at 0830. Felt mo betta'.
In the Hotel dining area (doubles as entryway and lobby), I met three bike riders that had passed me yesterday at about noon. They are on a GS 1200 and a KTM 950 as I recall. They talked funny. But no more than your average riders from France via Canada enroute Tierra del Fuego (or TDR as some call it.) I was surprised that I caught up with them. It might have been due to my wandering around in the dark and taking the shortcut through the pass and didn't even know it.
While stuffing my face with pancakes, coffee and fresh orange juice, I used my spare hand to hammer out a R/R. Hammer may be a bit much - it is more like hunt and peck with two fingers and a spell checker. By 1030, I was shaved, showered and shinola'd and astride my Mighty Mite and headed south.
The agricultural area north of Los Mochis extends for about 85 miles south of town also. Then up and over 5 miles of rolling hills with contoured fields and back into anothr flat area where the fertile, fields once again stretch to the horizon. Every shade of green imaginable surrounded me.. At one point, there was a corn field to my left and 12 foot tall sugar cane growing on my right. Incredible green growing smells. I sneezed for an hour!
Now I am not a farmer or a Botanist, so don't know the names of most growing things unless it is on my plate or situated on a salad bar - so I tend to zone out. Everyone does this at times. You are driving/riding/walking along and suddenly realize that you have no idea of what happened during the past xxxxxxx minutes/miles. There I was on auto-pilot, buzzing along at 55 when - phhwuppppppp - a car passes me. Yes! It made that kind of a sound. If you are a NASCAR, Formula one, Indy car, or SuperBike fan - you know the sound of a phhwuppppper passing when you are crouched down behind the barrier fence and the vehicle goes phhwupppppppp and is gone. WELL ! W.T.F. was that? Don't know. It was gone.
That led me to this. . . I can identify a car/truck/motorcycle at about one mile distance in my rear view mirror . . . stay with me now . . . if train "A" leaves New York at 60 mph and train "B" leaves Los Angeles at 90 . . . no that's not it - though it is fun to figure out where they will crash headon into each other. . . If that following vehicle then passes me 30 seconds later - how the hell fast is that jerk going? He has to do 120 to cover a mile in 30 seconds - right? But that doesn't include the distance I covered at 55mph during that same 30 seconds. I truly believe those vehicles AND there was more than one - was exceeding the 110 speed limit AND the 110 was kilometers not MPH!
My next mental gymnastic maneuver was: taking stock. That is - thinking about how technology has changed during my lifetime. My Grandfather worked all his life as a telegraph operator for a railroad. I mean the telegraph with the little "clicker" box we sometimes see and hear in Western movies when the Sheriff is needed. He once gave me a telegraph set and would only "Speak" to me using code. He never ventured more than 100 miles from his birthplace in his entire life. His retirement pay in the 1950's was $67.00 per month.
Aircraft have gone from the DC-3 to stretch 747's and Airbusses that can frighten hundreds of cocooned passengers every day. Dick Tracy had a wrist radio that was hard to believe. (O.K. Dick Tracy was a comic strip police character) A Harley-Davidson that did not mark its parking spot was unheard of. FM radio was only heard in elevators and some Department stores and featured NO Advertizing. T.V. dinners weren't even heard of before T.V. Like Duh ! I purchased the third COLOR T.V. set ever sold in San Diego. The seller had to come to my home and degause (sp) (de-magnetize) the building. "Bonanza" was the first of the big COLOR shows. Telephone booths were found in almost all gas station complexes. There were no WalMart people to gawk at or a Home Depot to complain about. T.V. introduced pizza to the U.S. The list is endless.
Now, (when I can locate Wi-Fi) I can instantly communicate with people on this very forum scattered all over the world. In 1968, I was in Antarctica. The only way I could speak to my family was via Amateur Radio when atmospheric conditions were just right. (KC4USX). I went back to Antarctica in 1994 and could (spin) dial, home and communicate instantly and clearly via satellite.
Anyway, you can fill a lot of empty miles with puzzles, name games, remembering, composing ride reports or fantasizing. Your choice. Hey, its my helmet, I can fill it with anything I want. I can even sing, no wait one on that. I need to be able to hit at least three notes to do that. I fall short.
I went off the direct route south and rode into Culiacan. I faithfully followed the signs pointing to Centro. Somehow I missed it. It was even bright daylight. So now I know about as much about Culiacan as I did before riding through. Actually, I do know more. The City is built and spreads out over a whole bunch of hills and each hill face seems to develope its own character. I didn't see anything that made me want to stop and stay awhile.
South of town, I saw a Pemex station that advertized Dormitories, Food and Fuel. I whipped in. Each Dormatory holds one person. Inside - one bed - no sheets or blankets, two pillows - no covers. One toilet - No, no paper. One shower - no soap or towel. Price 100 Pesos. I am in suite 7 of 48. Immediately outside are two diesel tractors idling. Since they are not synchronous in RPM, it causes waves in the sound patterns which vibrate the plywood door and the sheetrock walls in a sorta two-step walltz pattern. Yes, the waltz is a three beat - - - and the two-step - yada, yada, yada.
I re-fueled.
The Restaurante is locked up tight. It will (might or maybe) open tomorrow. Rode back to an OXXO (Oh So) store and bought two hot dogs, a bag of chips and an iced tea for din din. I have a cinnamon bun, some ham and a piece of cheese for tomorrow's breakfast. Livin' is easy on this street of luxury. But no Wi-Fi.
Color me Wi-Fi-less John
P. S. The Federal Police just arrived and raided one of the Dorms. Man, this is my kind of place ! ! ! The fun never ends.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #73
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is here !

In Third world countries ( I think Mexico qualifies), we know how primitive the plumbing can be. This was my Bath at the ZAR Hotel.

This guy is lucky. Lots of food.

This what I see most commonly.

This horse tied tightly in the shade. They are ridden hard. Most saddles look like left overs from the Civil War.

What do you do if you break down?

I think this is an Organ Pipe cactus. If wrong, ride to intercept me and tell me over a cold drink.

These are the small balls. They have some 2 to 3 times this size and they are staggered. You can not miss all of them. The bike just skitters sideways a couple of inches. Just look ahead and ride it out.

Sorry guys. No bras was not enforced.

These were really WEIRD grape vines. They had finger length peppers dangling from them.

At least tomatoes behaved.

Well. It's worth a look.

Is this a new "Broad Leaf" variety?

Adventure is where ever you find it. John
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #74
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 160
Love it when the Federales raid the motel/hotel I am staying at. Makes for a great story for family
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #75
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
Subscribed...like the way you roll.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote