User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #76
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Someday is Here!

Charleston ADV - - - glad to have you along. My computer just ate an hours worth of work. EEEEEEEEEEEYYYYOOOOOOOWWWWLLLLLLLSPIT ! ! !
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #77
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Hi. Here goes a second try. Think I will break it up into segments. Anyway, Last night - surprise - surprise. At about 10:00 P.M. the "Night" drivers fired up their rigs and left. The Mariachi band quit playing. It was quiet. It was so quiet that I could hear the toilet valve leaking. I slept. Well ! Woke up to the "Day" drivers testing their electronic sirens, horns, whoopers, and song players. I enjoyed them all, simultaneously.
I took a shower under the end of the pipe protruding from the wall. At least the water was tepid and not totally freezing. I ate my left over ham, cheese, bread, tea and added a Brownie and called it breakfast. It was filling.
I hit the road and was greeted with this.

The sky was blue, the breezes soft, and the temperature in the low 70's. Not a bad way to start any day.
The road was a treat. It went up a ridge, dove into a valley, then climbed another ridge . . . . repeatedly. BUT, I noticed the RPM to maintain a certain speed was increasing. That wasn't so good. Stopped at the first shady pull out and broke out the wrenches. A quick few turns on the clutch cable adjuster nuts and we had some "play" back at the clutch handle. We were good to go. The Rpm at 50 MPH was back to 5500. Perfecto !
Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #78
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Today I was on the Libre road not the Cuota. (Free vs toll). It may not be maintained quite as well, but is certainly good enough for me. I wondered how the edges of the rod could be so manicured when I have not seen any mowing equipment since I left California. I didn't have long to wait for an answer.
Six men working with short handled, crescent shaped blades and machetes were hacking away as I sped past. They were doing a great job. Down the road was a crew picking up trash. I had NEVER seen this before in Mexico.
Another first. A pickup truck and utility trailer loaded with cement fence posts was parked along side of the road. I did sort of a double take after mentioning the fence posts in a previous report. There was an entire team working. Two guys out front cutting weeds and brush, Two with manual post hole diggers, two guys to each post - swing the post up onto their shoulders and two-step it along the path. Two more guys setting the posts and stomping the earth around it down tight. Did I get a single photo? Didn't even think of it until I was ten miles down the track. Drat !
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #79
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here !

This was a no real plans day. Saw an older two lane asphalt ribbon running off to the east. Sign said Elota. I turned left. Soon came to this entrance to a time warp.

"Martin", the only Inglis speaker in town with the red pickup truck entertained me at this Tienda.

On the way out of the village, I had to see the bell tower.

The local folks all agreed that the village had been there prior to the arrival of the Spanish. The buildings are not hundreds of years old, but the village had the correct atmosphere. I almost wanted to join the four (4) dogs lying in the middle of the cobblestone street. I settled for a cold drink, an avocado and a pleasant hour hearing of life that has not changed that much.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #80
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here !

The remains of a suicide "Terrorist" cement fence post.
My open air mechanic shop.

Must take photos.

You want pictures of Mazatlan? Google it. I hate big cities. This is all that I thought was great.

Well the harbor wasn't bad.

And then I was out of there.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #81
leben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great stuff. Enjoying the report. Wanted you to know that it is -9 F here so that you can enjoy those mild temperatures even more.
leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #82
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here !

Tonight I am in El Rosario. Nice town about 40 miles south of Mazatlan. Dated 1655. . .

Today's expenses:

Breakfast: 45 Pesos.......... $ 3.75
Lunch 16 Pesos $ 1.33
Dinner 175 Pesos $14.58
Toll Road 0 0.00
Gas 158 Pesos $13.16
Motel 255 Pesos $21.25
Total $54.07

Dinner was Tampaquina steak in Luxury Hotel. muy bien.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #83
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 507
Hi John

WOW you can type. My wife has now joined me in enjoying your RR; I think that's a good sign

Everything is so bright with amazing colours.... plants, buildings & people. A great write up I feel like I'm there with you.

Us here "in the mountains" in FRANCE...... yeah, the Pyrenees - they only extend from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea, just down the road from that little group of hills called the Alps

Thanks for taking us all along; looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers
Potski
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #84
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Tonight I am in El Rosario. Nice town about 40 miles south of Mazatlan. Dated 1655. . .

Today's expenses:

Breakfast: 45 Pesos.......... $ 3.75
Lunch 16 Pesos $ 1.33
Dinner 175 Pesos $14.58
Toll Road 0 0.00
Gas 158 Pesos $13.16
Motel 255 Pesos $21.25
Total $54.07

Dinner was Tampaquina steak in Luxury Hotel. muy bien.

Let's see better roads, no tolls, better food, cheaper prices, and place to lay your head at night on the cheap...I'd say your doing it right. Viva LaMexico...

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #85
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Great Stuff John. Good morning humour and adventure for me. I saw that you lost an hours worth of write up back a bit and it reminded me of that happening several times when I was doing my RR. Just mistakenly hit some magic set of keys and poof....GONE! I actually queried into it on the site and all I ever figured out is that you can use like a Word program or email with autosave and then copy and paste to the report when you are ready. Or just be super careful.
Good luck and be safe.
Toad
Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #86
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Geezer to Geezer

I'm in John! Good stuff!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #87
Animal Instinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Great start, John

I caught your earlier planning thoughts on JDowns' epic Sherpa RR and was so glad to see your report materialize.

Carry on.

I have no knowledge of air travel, other than it makes me real nervous. However, seeing your aircraft made me remember we have a manufacturer of unique flying machines here in Wichita Falls, TX. and thought you might enjoy a looksie if you find yourself hostage to another chord practice session or dueling diesels.

http://www.cartercopters.com/
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #88
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Leben in IA at -9 degrees. Just keep muttering "enjoy the cold". I used to do that when night riding in the desert, drop into an arroyo and instant COLD . . .
" mutter, mutter enjoy the cold."
Potski . Ya' got me. I am accused of being droll. Those foothills to the Pyranees............... whoa ........... or. . . "Where did these damn elephants come from?" Allowing a wife to read this ( And she says, "ALLOW?") may not be a good thing. You won't be able to sift out the parts where Mexico is less than an ideal place to visit.
St. rydr - - Trips get better as I work into them. I always leave home with too much baggage. Some of it tangible.
Toadride - - Yes, I USUALLY use a word processor and import. The reason why fonts and colors do not always match up. BUT - I sometimes think I can get away with a shortcut. Never happens.
Sophijo - - GEEZER?
Animal Instinct - Love JDowns approach and R.R. He has caused me to stop and stare at brick/block/stone work and try and figure out WHO'S ON fIRST? CarterCopters have a great concept and have been at it for a while. Hope they get it all together.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #89
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is here !

El Rosario to Puerto Vallarta
Tuesday 11 February 2014
Breakfast.............84Pesos..................... ................$ 7.00
Lunch...................36 Pesos...................................$3.00
Dinner................200 Pesos...................................$16.66
Tolls............................................. .................................................. .....
Gas....................100 Pesos (need some) $ 8.33
Hotel...................397 Pesos..................................$33.08
Total............................................. ......................$68.07
Todays milage = 240 miles
Dinner was shrimp wrapped in bacon served on a bed of spinach and rice. Cubra Libre to wash it down.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #90
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here !

Some odd ball stuff. Yesterday. Cruising along fat dumb and happy watching a semi with two trailers approaching. Nothing unusual in that. Happens hundreds of times each day. Except when - within milli-seconds of the rear trailer clearing my handlebars - a tire on the rear of the rear trailer exploded ! ! ! I jumped. Thumper jumped. Together we could have easily cleared a 3 inch high hurdle. Adrenaline high for free.
Today. On a section of road with some decent twisties, I cleared a turn and there was a man holding a red flag outstretched in the roadway. I powered down and stopped next to him. He motioned that I can "walk" forwards. I "walked" around an almost hairpin turn and there were two box trailers lying on their sides in my lane, the semi tractor was upside down in the ditch. I crept by - to find two more trailers lying across the other lane on their sides with their traqctor upside down in the ditch. There were enough people mlling about smartly, so I continued on my way. 50 miles later an ambulance passed me heading to the crash site.