User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #91
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Someday is here !

Here is another of those tacky Third World breakfast bars . . .

Pool bottom

The cook.

Church being refinished

Take a closer look at the worker's scaffold and safety lines.
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #92
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here!

Even some of the smaller villages will have a pedestrian overpass.

Routes are well marked. If you do end up on a cuota road, the tolls are generally not too bad. Bikes pay 1/2 of an automobile fee.

Interesting skyline.

Flowers and no leaves . . .

A lot of life in a little pond.

To the ladies in my life . . . this was the largest heart I could find . . . after Valentine's Day, sorry.

In answer to the question, "How do you find . . .?"

Picture taken from the Libre Road. Cuota Road below with scene of a large tidal flat.

The flats are the winter home for thousands of birds.

A colorful small village church.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #93
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here !

Incidents from the last two days, reminded me of this short presentation I made from a recent trip down Baja. I could have made it during the past week. It makes me think. Somber John Just click on the square. . ..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #94
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is here !

A hopefully last note about the video: I took these and more photographs along a single 100 mile stretch of highway. I was unable to photograph ALL of the monuments along that highway because some were located on blind curves where it was too dangerous to stop to take a photograph.
The highway connects Todos Santos and La Paz in Baja Sur, Mexico. It is not the most heavily travelled highway along the Baja Peninsula nor does it have the most reminders.
I love to travel in Mexico. It can be dangerous. I understand that. Near my home in Oregon, four people have died in a single 3 mile stretch of roadway. There are no reminders. Perhaps because it is less dangerous. . . . . . . . . . + + + +
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #95
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,315
Keep up the great report. I love the 3rd world breakfast bar and the cook looks like she could make for a great desert.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #96
olderigetfasteriam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks!

Love your style! I had a TW200 for a couple years as a commuter. Miss it dearly. Have fun and enjoy your ride.
olderigetfasteriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #97
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I read your first two posts & went to the "Rate This Thread" & gave you a 5......This is gonna be fun!
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #98
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someday is Here !

Refokus - - - It is always good to leave room for either dessert or dessert.
olderiget fasteriam - - - Do what my cousin did when he mistakenly sold his TW - - - He bough another one!
Sleddog - - - I have stars in my eyes. Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #99
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Parking in Puerto Vallarta

I am favorably impressed with Puerto Vallarta. I find that strange. I dislike large towns. I really dislike touristy places. P.V. qualifys on both counts. But, it looks like a class act. Everything is kept pristine clean. There is no graffiti. No trash blowing around. No obvious touts dragging unsuspecting vacationers into tacky shops.
The cruise ships disgorge their thousand plus passengers into an area teeming with huge mainstream name Hotels. Shops of every description are nearby. Taxi cabs are available from an endless line of cars.
I wiggled my way along, waiting for some sign or logo that reached out and said, "Me! Me! Try me!"
A very nice, older Hotel, bar and restaurant with somewhat reasonable rates. Room : $33.08.
Secure parking consisted of putting the bike on the sidewalk directly in front of the entrance which is staffed 24 hours.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #100
RiderRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
subcribed!

I'm along for the ride!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

http://riderrick.wordpress.com/
RiderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #101
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Puerto Vallarta headed south.

I knew the Hotel was my kind of place as soon as I walked in. Acoustical classic guitar music was coming softly from the wall speakers. I was hesitant when told to park on the sidewalk . . . The head man was so sincere in stating, "It is no problem. Safe." I bought it. He was right. No problem. I did strip the bike - there is a limit to my trust.
Puerto Vallarta is not just a strip of high rise Hotels. I passed seven miles of high rise condos and very expensive looking private homes before I felt I was leaving town. Hwy 200 is a two lane asphalt ribbon laid down by an engineer who was a biker, or a drunk. Perhaps both. It is a gas. It quickly climbs away from the coast and wiggles its way along the sides and over the tops of rolling to vertical walled foot hills. Vegetation is fantastic. The trees overlap one another and form a green tunnel that goes for miles.

Passing or being passed was a thrill. In the first 50 miles, I don't think there were more than 7 or 8 straight stretches that ran 1/4 mile long. The rest was curves.
My poor Thumper worked hard all day. His power band feels best between 4,400 and 6,000 RPM. With the curves and up/down swoops, I was switching gears constantly.
Then we came to some small construction areas.

Flaggers - They don need no stinkin' flaggers . . .
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #102
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Puerto Vallarta headed south.

A very small Topes.

It looked like a 3" fire hose filled with sand. The orange cement barrier and the camo little square hut behind the red flowers said, "Military check point." I took a couple more pictures to show you what they look like. Ha ! Two soldiers materialized and pulled me over to the side of the road for a conversation.
I presented my papellas. Then a Sergeant asked for my camera. I said, "No." He then said he wanted the data card. I said, "No." I then suggested that I erase any offending photographs with him watching. He said that would be O.K. I climbed off the bike and we moved into the shade of the camo hut. It is covered with strips of canvas, so you can't easily see anyone inside, but they can see out. I erased 1/2 dozen photos and he was satisfied. I promised that I would not take any more SPY PHOTOS of their complex. O.K.
The bike didn't look right.

When earlier, I hit a foot and a half wide and eight inch deep trench hidden in shade in a construction zone, it apparently overstressed a plastic loop on the back of the bag and it broke. A couple of short pieces of cord made a new attach point and raised the bag back where it belonged. The FAT tires of the TW prevented collapsing a wheel or ME! ! ! We really banged hard!
The same photo shows my Custom seat. I scrounged a piece of pretty stiff foam down at my hometown upholstery shop. About 8"x8". Then took the Bead seat off the Weestrom and it holds the foam in place. Pretty exotic. Today of all days, my skidplate complained. Not the bike's skidplate - mine. I worked on toughening mine by riding everyday prior to the trip and also by just sitting on the bike while doing things in the hangar. This is day 7 and NOW it complains. I sat on one cheek and then the other. I stood up. I leaned against the sleeping bag. Finally, I just thought, "Fine ! Hurt then !" I sat back down and the pain went away. The beads help me. They allow air to circulate and keep things dry. I don't use Monkey Butt powder. It didn't help me. Air does. To each their own . . ..
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #103
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's JDowns fault

Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #104
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's JDowns fault

I hope you all check out John Downs report on going to S. America on a Super Sherpa. Since he is a trained stone mason, he has included photos of masonry and stonework showing the difference between old/new, and good/bad. Great. Now instead of looking - I'm seeing . . . this . . . three different workmen, none knew . . .

or the tired horse with the worn saddles blocks the view of some really . . ..

not stopping with cement and stone . . . no. . .
The technique shown here is:

I used to look . . . now I see. Thanks, JDowns from another John
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #105
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,530
Good old bungee will fail at worst possible time. Find a Walmart ( I know Mexico has them I broke down and had to check one out while in Cancun) and get some nylon straps or Rok straps.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote