ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Michel77 OP
Backyard Badass

Oddometer: 193
Tell us where to go and visit!

Hey All,

The wife, dog and I have sold our house and before moving on to the next house we decided we would take a trip first. We have friends in Alabama getting married (Birmingham area) so we'll be heading down starting this weekend and will roam around the South for a bit before we head back West and North. Total timeline, appr. 3 months. Current (loose) itinerary plans (some places marked that we think we'd like):

Alabama - North Carolina (Asheville area, don't want to go too far East) - Tennessee (Nashville, Memphis maybe, any smaller towns with good music scene?) - Arkansas (Hot Springs area) - Louisiana/Mississippi (Searching for the Blues) - Texas (San Antonio) - New Mexico - Arizona - California - Nevada - Utah - Colorado - Wyoming - Montana - Idaho - Washington

In general we like smaller towns, liberal people, music, food, microbreweries, whiskey tasting, nature, hot springs, off the grid camping, etc.

Appreciate any suggestions for cool spots and places to camp, visit, eat, drink and be merry. Will place this in some other regional forums as well.
If you see a big white Ford van with some strategically placed ADV-stickers, come say hi :)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Waynesville, NC has several small breweries that are worth checking out.

Franklin, TN. does also, AND a very good music scene with all types of music being played (Dobbie Brothers are playing a small theatre there tomorrow night, for a live radio show)

Muscle Shoals, Alabama is famous for its music and recordings done there.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Michel77 OP
Backyard Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Waynesville, NC has several small breweries that are worth checking out.

Franklin, TN. does also, AND a very good music scene with all types of music being played (Dobbie Brothers are playing a small theatre there tomorrow night, for a live radio show)

Muscle Shoals, Alabama is famous for its music and recordings done there.
Good tips, thanks!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Florence, Alabama during the w c handy festival. Camp in Waterloo, but ,it is hot that time of year for camping, you would be on a river bank so it might be tolerable. Leipers fork is cool for a day trip.
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep8 View Post
Florence, Alabama during the w c handy festival. Camp in Waterloo, but ,it is hot that time of year for camping, you would be on a river bank so it might be tolerable. Leipers fork is cool for a day trip.
Cool, an ADVer from Florence. I've been going over there quite a bit the past couple of years for work. Usually stay at the Marriott resort just downstream of Wilson Dam.

Cool area, but I haven't been able to bring myself to ride the GS over from N GA. Hwy 72 is just too darned flat and straight.
Lots of great music still coming out of that area.

Favorite places to eat are Cajun's (love those grilled oysters), Yum, Rosie's. What's the best mom and pop place for a good steak in the area? The place out at Ford City is not bad.

Almost had wiped them out before I remembered to stop and take a pic.

mb90535im screwed with this post 05-13-2015 at 08:21 AM
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Michel77 OP
Backyard Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Cool, an ADVer from Florence. I've been going over there quite a bit the past couple of years for work. Usually stay at the Marriott resort just downstream of Wilson Dam.

Cool area, but I haven't been able to bring myself to ride the GS over from N GA. Hwy 72 is just too darned flat and straight.
Lots of great music still coming out of that area.

Favorite places to eat are Cajun's (love those grilled oysters), Yum, Rosie's. What's the best mom and pop place for a good steak in the area? The place out at Ford City is not bad.

Almost had wiped them out before I remembered to stop and take a pic.

Added to the list just for those oysters!!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,415
If you are going to Birmingham Barbers Museum is a must, world class facility. You mentioned the SW and seems like you have plenty of time. Anything South (I am just moving to GA from NM) is starting to get pretty warm, out West that just means head up in elevation. Of course the CO high country just had some good snow. Utah and the canyons but it is stating to get hot and busier, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Capital Reef, Zion and Bryce, all great. Or head higher in CO for cooler, lots of good territory, Arkansas River, Salida, Buena Vista, Grand Mesa, list goes on.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 817
Birmingham Museum is an absolute must.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
[QUOTE=mb90535im;26779129]"Cool, an ADVer from Florence. "

"Favorite places to eat are Cajun's (love those grilled oysters), Yum, Rosie's. What's the best mom and pop place for a good steak in the area? The place out at Ford City is not bad."

Best steak is a rib-eye off my Weber kettle with charcoal,
George's Steak Pit in Sheffield is rumored to be the best, slightly pricey.
I like Legends (downtown Florence) for the salad bar and steak.
For catfish it's Newburns
For ribs it's Smokin on the Blvd. (take out only)
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote