ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
shanekingsley OP
Motoman

Oddometer: 145
WV /VA Backroads

I'm planning my next trip and I'm wondering if anyone has been on the forest roads out there? Sometimes they are paved, sometimes not - I have no idea. These seem pretty remote, but must be really nice.

Some serious twisty business: http://goo.gl/maps/gAJWc and: http://goo.gl/maps/jz6bl and: http://goo.gl/maps/JUJph

makes for a fun route: http://goo.gl/maps/YHYvb and would be perfect for a long weekend. When I was down in the Smokey's last, some of the best roads I was on were the ones that were the forest roads.

Are these as good as they look?

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 07:15 PM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post

Are these as good as they look?
Yep, they are pretty nice.

CR21 is paved but fun.
25 is paved but nice. I'd take 24 which is gravel off of 25 to cr21.
fr61 is gravel and very nice but closed due to a wash out. It's easily passable on two wheels but closed... A legal alternative is fr85 which is also gravel.
fr 64 ut is a down and back as noted in your map. It's gated where a preservation area begins.

Depending on what you're riding and your desires there is a more challenging way to get down to the fr 61/fr85/reddish knob area by taking Skidmore Fork Rd off of rt 33 which is just a bit before you hit the WV line from the VA side. You can see it on the map if you zoom in. But if you enjoy paved twisties and/or are riding a bigger bike you can't go wrong following rt 33 over to Brandywine as you have it laid out. It's a great road!

You may want to make the run up to Reddish knob. If it's clear there's a nice view and you'll be a stones throw from it.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
shanekingsley OP
Motoman

Thanks for the info!

I should have mentioned - I'm coming from Toronto area and riding a 650 Strom with street oriented tires (Anakee 3's), but I don't care if the roads are paved, or not, as long as it's not really soft or mud. Gravel and dry forest roads are great and I ride them any chance I get.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
WayneJ
2015 LFC Mayor

Oddometer: 5,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
...a more challenging way to get down to the fr 61/fr85/reddish knob area by taking Skidmore Fork Rd...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
...riding a 650 Strom with street oriented tires (Anakee 3's), but I don't care if the roads are paved, or not, as long as it's not really soft or mud. Gravel and dry forest roads are great and I ride them any chance I get.
There is pretty much no mud or sand in the area. It's mostly all gravel and rocks.

Not saying you can't do Skidmore/Dunkle Hollow Rd on a Strom with street tires but you might want to avoid it if you are riding solo. There are some very rocky sections on Dunkle Hollow Rd.

Like this one.

Same spot, different day.

One of 3 or 4 fords on CR-24(Little Fork Rd). Unless there is a good rain, these are mostly dry this time of year.

This is looking north on FR-85. The road behind us to the right, is the road up to Reddish Knob.

When are you going to be in the area?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 292
If you are going to be on Rt33 just east of Elkins, WV, try CR27 south to Glady. It's paved to Glady, then gravel the next 20 miles to Rt250 at Durbin, WV.

There is another road off Rt33 a few miles east of this one. It's CR10 south and is all gravel for 30 miles to Rt28 near Thornwood, WV. The route number eventually turns into a Forest Service road but all of it is a good solid gravel road with no mud. About 10 miles into this road, you will see signs for the famous Laurel Fork Campground. If you take that left, the campground is about a mile and beyond it you can follow the signs to Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV.
All but a few miles of that is gravel.
This is some of the best and most remote riding in WV.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
jobustrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
If you are going to be on Rt33 just east of Elkins, WV, try CR27 south to Glady. It's paved to Glady, then gravel the next 20 miles to Rt250 at Durbin, WV.
Can you tell me if CR22 back into Elkins from Glady is a paved road?

Thanks in advance!
-joe
jobustrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
WayneJ
2015 LFC Mayor

Oddometer: 5,907
Cr-22 is paved between Glady and Bemis. West of Bemis it is not paved until get just outside of Elkins. The first 2 or 3 miles west of Bemis are very rocky.

WayneJ screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 11:35 AM
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
shanekingsley OP
Motoman

Thanks for all the info. I was hoping to come down this weekend, but I have to work on Sunday and this trip is only possible with 3 days off work. So I hope to get a few days off work within the next 2 months and head down - weekends are booked solid, but this would make a great mid week trip.

I am fine with rocky roads, but very remote, very rocky and riding solo can sometimes be a risk for a less skilled rider like myself. I've done it a few times before and have been fortunate that nothing has gone wrong.

I've been up to Spruce Knob before as well as Smoke Hole Rd and liked them both very much - enough to go back many more times. I would definitely check out Reddish Knob and that CR10 also looks good so I will try that out too. Thanks for the suggestions!

The pictures were great and if that sidecar can make it, then surely I can too as long as I take it easy. I really like tight, twisty paved roads, and also like to get better at my gravel and forest road riding.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,475
Dozens of people will post dozens of roads, and you spend all your time trying to find them.

WV, VA & KY provides the best riding on the east coast. Buy a Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme' for each state you want to ride, follow the squiggly lines and create your own ride.

― Albert Einstein
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
shanekingsley OP
Motoman

Up here as a member of CAA, I get the free AAA maps of each state. I use them with any suggestions and posts I read to make some pretty awesome routes... My last trip to Deals Gap was incredible and I never even rode the dragon - all due to the awesome help:)

I also use a GPS and then just keep the paper maps in my tank bag as a reference.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Dozens of people will post dozens of roads, and you spend all your time trying to find them.

WV, VA & KY provides the best riding on the east coast. Buy a Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme' for each state you want to ride, follow the squiggly lines and create your own ride.

Good advice on the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer. I have the WV & VA and plan all my rides from them.