ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #346
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,978
Anybody interested in FerrySTOC in a few weekends? I don't yet know if I can get away, but I'm hoping to try to make it out for at least one day.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=24094206
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #347
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
Quick GS update - running better, on 2nd oil change, still milky. The reason for the rough running was the throttle cable jacked up from carelessly throwing it back together. That throws the TB Sync WAY off.

Best news, no internal mechanical damage. Snorkel design is in prototype stage 2.
seems like the yella bikes had problems glad none of them were serious!

http://youtu.be/j7X8NJTDoSQ

breakfast was awesome too!

drm screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 12:35 PM
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #348
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 141
Here's my pics....

Loaded up at the house, complete with young'uns running laps around the car in the jammies.

I stopped to pick up some riff raff along the way....

Home for the weekend....

Pic from my first encounter with that damn tree. I finally got over it without falling down on our short Sunday morning ride.

Hanging around the campfire friday night...

Kev's got a little sway going on by this point...

Saturday's group ride, which was friggin' awesome! Thanks so much to the guys to lead it and didn't complain (much) about having to wait on the slow poke.

This was the first stop, shortly after that beautiful shiny Tiger was christened....

A stop by Honker Bay...

The reason it's called Honker Bay....

Taking a break at a neat and beautifully restored Catholic Church.

Trees...

Bug....

A creek crossing a little later. I didn't tell anyone... but I'd never crossed anything bigger than a mud puddle before Saturday.

Thankfully I didn't drown me or the bike at any of the crossings (unlike some people... )

Troy has a go on the big GS with street tires....

"I get by with a little help from my friends... "

While taking a little break after that effort, someone said.... what is that green stuff!?!?

Seems the container of Slime ruptured. All we had to clean it up with was some tp. Someone's gonna find some strange looking tp on the side of that trail....

We rode a bunch more but I forgot to take pics for a while. I don't think I'd told anyone this either.... I'd never gone more than about 30mph down a gravel road before saturday. There was one long stretch of fairly straight but rolling road where I think I got up near 60. That's still not real fast by some standards I'm sure, but the little XT won't go a whole lot faster than that on asphalt. That was seriously fun stuff that I never would've tried on my own.

Toward the end of the day and at the biggest creek crossing of the weekend, Troy's GS decided it was thirsty and a big gulp of cold creek water was just the ticket. I sure hope someone got pics or video of this crossing. I forgot to get my camera out.

GS-ectomy in process...

I can't believe that the tool kit in a GSA of all bikes, doesn't have a spark plug wrench! I also can't believe how the air intakes are made on it. Just makes no sense at all.

After much wrenching, talking, teeth gnashing, and a great effort by Chris to ride back to the campground for a plug wrench ... probably a good beer bottle full of water came out of each cylinder.

Once we got it dried out as best we could, it fired up and ran back to the campground.

That was a great day of riding! Thanks to all!

Dinner that night was pretty good too....

drm and I went for a relatively short ride sunday morning as I had to pack up and get back home at a reasonable hour. I only took one pic, and that's where we turned around on one road due it being flooded out...

Thanks especially to Sandalscout for organizing the whole thing. It was a long trip for me (~600 miles), but I had a great time. LBL is a really cool place with lots to offer. It's so big, seems like it would take a long time to learn your way around.

Great to meet a bunch of new people and put some faces with names. I'll look forward to seeing more pics.

peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #349
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
Here's my pics....

drm and I went for a relatively short ride sunday morning as I had to pack up and get back home at a reasonable hour. I only took one pic, and that's where we turned around on one road due it being flooded out...

Thanks especially to Sandalscout for organizing the whole thing. It was a long trip for me (~600 miles), but I had a great time. LBL is a really cool place with lots to offer.

Great to meet a bunch of new people and put some faces with names. I'll look forward to seeing more pics.
EXCELLENT Pics, love them! Mind if I put some in the gallery on the website?

Dinner Saturday looked great! That spot you guys turned around at on Sunday wasn't too bad, it wasn't very deep, just a little long.

Really glad you mind it out, it was a pleasure meeting you and riding with you. For guys new to riding like this, you and Ozark Dave did wonderfully. MUCH better than I was when I started riding about 4 years ago.

Thanks again for the Hummus, it's in Troy's fridge right now, as he hauled my luggage home, but looking forward to tearing into it in the next couple of days!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #350
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Ozark Dave's pictures and videos:

See the complete album here:

http://s290.photobucket.com/user/san...Daves%20Photos

I've cherry picked a few of them:

CLICK TO PLAY VIDEO

CLICK TO PLAY VIDEO

Before the bus became a submarine (Sorry Troy! I tried to limit the teasing until I knew that the bike would be completely fine again!):

Chris, we look pretty good don't we? After this weekend, I feel pretty confident in saying that we aren't too bad as riders, considering we are just a couple of scrubs on measly KLRs.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #351
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Infamous video from Dave:

Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #352
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

This is a combination of the tracks I recorded this weekend:

I had a total of 356.3 miles for the weekend, not too bad!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #353
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,685
I didn't take a single picture.

Thanks for the mammaries guys.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #354
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Das Boat, U-141, will survive. The 3rd oil change came out looking like oil, the rough running can be attributed to me throwing all the crap back on while I was still mad, which pinched the right throttle cable enough to cause it to have a "hanging idle" issue.
As for the reason for all this B.S., it appears the creeks and streams in Germany never get over ankle deep, therefore placing the air intake at 26" off the ground is not a problem there, so why would it be a problem anywhere else. And they decided if you chose to ride their machine in water that is too deep, they punish you by guaranteing it goes straight from the BOTTOM of the airbox directly into the crankcase. I am not pleased with the Germans.

Thanks a million to everybody that helped getting Das Boat back to life. I do expect a flood of cruel jokes, and look forward to using them in my letter to BMW. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY KLR!!!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #355
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY KLR!!!

Took you long enough!!!!!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #356
bwbeck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
[QUOTE=TroyJ650; ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY KLR!!![/QUOTE]

Awesome I didn't even put a scratch on the KLR when it tripped and tackled me.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #357
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,568
All the pics and vids

Hey Guys, a huge thank you from Ashton (HappySon) and me for all the pics and videos you all shared. He had a wonderful weekend: He loved the 'guy' time with all ya'll plus he scored a goal Sunday morning at his soccer game and his team took the championship for the tourney so he was really riding high!

Thanks to everyone who made him feel welcome and extended a scoche (skoshe?) of "men united" camaraderie to him. He's hoping to have a street legal bike this time next year for the DS rides (even though he'll only have his permit). I honestly can't thank you fellas enough. Hugs and kisses to all you big lugs.

PS, thanks for the jeep help too! Ozark Dave, I love your tools!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #358
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,568
Hey Troy.....

Give me throttle, give me water, and watch as it makes me totter.

New sig line stuff for Troy
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #359
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Hey Guys, a huge thank you from Ashton (HappySon) and me for all the pics and videos you all shared. He had a wonderful weekend: He loved the 'guy' time with all ya'll plus he scored a goal Sunday morning at his soccer game and his team took the championship for the tourney so he was really riding high!

Thanks to everyone who made him feel welcome and extended a scoche (skoshe?) of "men united" camaraderie to him. He's hoping to have a street legal bike this time next year for the DS rides (even though he'll only have his permit). I honestly can't thank you fellas enough. Hugs and kisses to all you big lugs.

PS, thanks for the jeep help too! Ozark Dave, I love your tools!
He needs a 250 woods bike! (as do I!)
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #360
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
plus he scored a goal Sunday morning at his soccer game and his team took the championship for the tourney so he was really riding high!
AWESOME!

Really glad you both made it, was great to see you both. Hopefully, next time, we all get to ride!

TNSteve emailed me some pictures. He took a bunch of great ones during the slow race, and a bunch "undercover" that are great. Looks like he and Jeff had a nice street and lunch at Fat Daddy's. You can see the album at this link http://s290.photobucket.com/user/san...teves%20Photos

Love this one of Chris:

I don't feel like I can say it enough, but a lot of thanks to Troy and Jeff. If it weren't for Troy, this never would have gotten off of the ground. He takes too little credit for everything, pitches in whatever is needed, and is a great resource to bounce ideas off of. He's got ton of excellent ideas and what this non-event is becoming is truly a manifestation of his vision, and I'm grateful.

Jeff's input is immeasurable, and the trophies that he makes are incredible. He burned up his welder this year, so we owe him doubly now!

And thanks to Chris for all of his input on routes, and instant willingness to lead rides to spots that many don't know about.

Thanks to everyone who came out, you guys are all really great to ride with, hang out with, cook with, etc. Everyone pitches in at the drop of a hat, and I love it! Barry's 180+ eggs is awesome! Gosh, I could keep going for days, so I'll just shut up now.