Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
davesteepmedia OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
When camping on a big ride goes horribly wrong

Hi guys,

Even though it's not a motorbike clip, I think it's still very relevant and you might relate to it. Sometimes stealth camping can be amazing - you see amazing things and experience total calm. Other times it sucks and you get sprayed by garden sprinklers. This was a bad time.

When adventure travel goes wrong, [VIDEO]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toCOZsoSsjw

Cheers.

davesteepmedia screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 02:02 AM
davesteepmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 590
Welcome to the board .

Rule one of stealth camping is to pick your spot during the day . On a bike you rate of travel is a good bit more than a pedal bike so you can do a good bit of scouting before it gets dark without losing much time .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,593
you saw that on bikeforums didnt you
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 540
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712944
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185529
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662783
some good info on stealth camping
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
That is hilarious, like straight out of a National Lampoons movie.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 766
I want to say it was the worst camping, but there have been cold ass nights where I shivered all night and didn't sleep, so this was not *the* worst, but up there.

I was on a Boy Scouts trip in some state park somewhere. There were two guys to a tent. I was sleeping in a down filled mummy bag and quite warm. Sometime during the night I woke to a thunderstorm. Not only was it raining outside, but my tent-mate had decided to abandon me and left the tent flaps wide open and flapping. The tent stakes on his side had been pulled out by the wind. The tent was trying to roll over on my and drown me at the same time. Fortunately it wasn't cold and I was able to go back to sleep. In the morning I woke to a tent full of water and naturally my sleeping bag had soaked up several gallons.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,198
Boy Scouts camp ruined my knees.

Before the air mattress, we filled ours with straw.
Straw mattresses were excellent for use as landing at high jumps. When the skies open everybody scatters, abandoning the mattresses.
So I had to lie on wet straw that night, and the following nights. Would be called child abuse by today's standards, but we were men in those days and took it as such.
There you go, sissies. Learn...

One of my best camps by the way.
It ruined my knees though.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
My all out worst camping experience (albeit on a mountain biking trip) was thinking I was smart by picking the uphill corner of the slope under a tarp tent. Turned out my sleeping bag became the dam that diverted the water around the other 12 guys under the tarp. My camp leader was sympathetic enough to let me sit, cold, wet, and shivering on the corner of his mat while he continued sleeping.

But on topic. As a rule, all motorcycle trips my brothers and I go on, we only bring a tarp and stealth camp, so to speak. It has led to the odd - holding the tarp down against the winds and rain while listening to a dozen trains go by all night. But it is totally worth it when you can sleep under the stars by the fire, river rolling lazely by, and the mountains in the background with no one for miles. That's camping.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,102
Like a lot of things, it's made a lot better with experience and good preparation. And likewise, much that you learn comes from no experience and the lack of preparation.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Sorry to me stealth camping just seems like the lazy, cheap way of doing it. I need my sleep and getting a good night in makes all trips better. If the weather is great by all means stealth camp, and I have done it, but if there is even a hint of crap weather coming I will pay for a site, pitch a tent and be done with it. Then in the morning I can get a good hot shower before rolling along. Something to be said for being clean.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
I"ve only stealth camped a few times. Some camps were better then others but I guess I was lucky and they all turned out at least okay, if not good. The only bad experience I had was when it turned out to be much colder then I expected but that had nothing to do w/ the awesome camp I had.

On one trip my buddy and I were riding across North Carolina. We were planning on stealth camping, but my friend had a bad feeling about the weather. Last minute we decided to get a hotel. I was a little annoyed at him as the only hotel we found was a bit more then I would have liked to spend. However, turned out he was right. By the time we unloaded the bikes and dropped out gear in the room, the skies opened up and it absolutely poured for several hours.
Very glad we splurged for a room.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Thumb I know you learned from That

Thanks for sharing, maybe someone was saved by you sharing your sprinkler knowledge.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Isn't the whole idea of the adventure including the stealth camping part is sticking to your plan and completing the mission, no matter what happens.

Everybody can do what they want but you have to agree it's a much bigger adventure the more self sufficient you can be.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Good fun

Stealth camping is such a rich experience we should pay extra for it.
I was camping behind a church in Mississippi when I was awoken by footsteps. 'Hark, who goes there?' I thought, but didn't utter a squeak. Next, a torch shines on my tent. In a deep a voice as possible I shout 'Hello'. Another voice echoes 'Hello'. I respond with another 'Hello' and the response comes 'This is the sheriff'. Thank God for that I thought, and then he continues 'And you are trespassing on private property'. Oh shit!
We had a bit of a natter and I exaggerated the severity of the storm the previous evening, saying I thought I would be safe in the church yard. He must have been a God fearing man as he said I could stay the night but be packed up before church service in the morning.
I went back to sleep, knowing I was in good hands.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
Sorry to me stealth camping just seems like the lazy, cheap way of doing it. I need my sleep and getting a good night in makes all trips better. If the weather is great by all means stealth camp, and I have done it, but if there is even a hint of crap weather coming I will pay for a site, pitch a tent and be done with it. Then in the morning I can get a good hot shower before rolling along. Something to be said for being clean.
It certainly is cheap, but I don't think it's lazy, quite the reverse really. It takes experience, nerve and skill. As for keeping clean, no problem. You can have a good wash in a bucket of water. If you can find a creek or sprinkler so much the better.
To each their own, but bugger paying $20 - $40 for a tent site, that's too easy.
Cheers,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote