caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Blah

Well, I guess he did ask for it, eh?

Quote:
Weigh in - be brutal - I like it when it hurts.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #153
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Well, I guess he did ask for it, eh?
He probably meant he liked it when it hurt a little.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #154
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Blah
Yeah, but I'd prefer some creativity! Come on! If someone has to use my own writing to come up with something, it's really just a compliment. I provided all the material. I mean, where's the fan-fiction in "blah". Not going to sell too many books with "blah". Can't even change a tire with "blah". It's not even a pick up line. "Blah." Well, maybe it is for some people. Depends on what you're picking up. Frankly I always steered clear of dogs. It's not brutal, it's pathetic is what it is. Figured I move the forum on to save the guy some embarrassment since he owns more bikes than I do and has just one original word. And from his age, even worse knees. Then again, he is from Oz. For all I know, "blah" is a pickup line down there in which case he apparently misconstrued my final line. Uh... not interested, but I would guess there are forums for finding that sort of thing, if that's your style.

This is a motorcycle forum. He had his fun trying to make someone feel bad by projecting his own experiences on someone half a world away. Didn't work. Time to move on. Sigh... He'll probably try again...
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:41 AM   #155
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
You need to redo your sig-line Pecha72. The list of countries you've not ridden in would be shorter than the list that you have!

Seriously, I'd be interested in hearing any of your thoughts on this subject regarding what's worked and what hasn't. I would imagine with some miles like that on the ODO that you have some decent stats to share.
Actually Im only just past 50 countries, and there are over 190 of them on this Earth... I do hope I can get to 100 one day! But of course the number of countries youve visited, does not really tell the whole story for example, in Europe, you could very easily zoom past 20-30 countries on a motorway in just a few days, and not really see any of them properly. Some of the countries on my list I have in fact done only this way, but then some others Ive visited maybe 10 or 20 times, and spent weeks or months in a single country.

Ok, whats worked for me? I have never owned a really bad bike, as far as reliability goes. Ive owned both carbd and FI bikes. The way I see it, reliability in general has gone up, the basic engine/transmission constructions very seldom fail these days, unless its a user error. But at the same time, bikes have also become a lot more complex, so there is more to go wrong. Personally, I would not be scared at all to have EFI and ABS on any trip, but Im not sure if Id need electronically adjusting suspension, or servo brakes, for example.

Also remember, that proper maintenance goes hand in hand with reliability, no matter how old the bike is.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #156
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Actually Im only just past 50 countries, and there are over 190 of them on this Earth... I do hope I can get to 100 one day! But of course the number of countries youve visited, does not really tell the whole story for example, in Europe, you could very easily zoom past 20-30 countries on a motorway in just a few days, and not really see any of them properly. Some of the countries on my list I have in fact done only this way, but then some others Ive visited maybe 10 or 20 times, and spent weeks or months in a single country.

Ok, whats worked for me? I have never owned a really bad bike, as far as reliability goes. Ive owned both carbd and FI bikes. The way I see it, reliability in general has gone up, the basic engine/transmission constructions very seldom fail these days, unless its a user error. But at the same time, bikes have also become a lot more complex, so there is more to go wrong. Personally, I would not be scared at all to have EFI and ABS on any trip, but Im not sure if Id need electronically adjusting suspension, or servo brakes, for example.

Also remember, that proper maintenance goes hand in hand with reliability, no matter how old the bike is.
So what do you ride? I've thought about switching from BMW to KTM but don't have any real reason to do so other than liking the looks of the 990 Baja!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #157
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
So what do you ride?
I currently own 2 DL650s, a 2007 (thats lowered and my wife rides it) and also a 2012. That older DL650 is the same bike, that once took us two-up from Europe to Oz, it is now at over 80 k kms, and hasnt really missed a beat.

But going back about two decades, Ive had a 650 Africa Twin + four(!) AT750s, two DR-Z400s, a CBR900RR, CBR1000F, CBR1100XX, Tiger 885, BMW R1100S, Suzuki SV650, and three DL650s (there was also a -09, that I sold). But out of those, the -07 has been the only one, that has got some serious miles outside of Europe, in fact I had only ridden around Europe until 2001. Oh yeah, and I also owned a 115cc scooter once in Thailand I mention it, because me & some friends did some very nice trips to the backroads in Cambodia and Laos on scooters (yes, we did look a bit hilarious on top of them!)

But then there have also been some rentals, like Kawi KLRs in southern Africa, and also in Central America (KTM640 there as well). Africa Twins, Transalps, DR-Z400s and XR250s in Southeast Asia, and Enfields in India. Especially the KLR, although I havent owned one, Ive ridden at least 10 k miles with them.

Two-up RTW, Id take my 2012 DL650 in a heartbeat. For going solo, there would be plenty of other good options to choose from. (.........but thats just my 0.02, not any absolute truth about anything!)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #158
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

Which about sums it up.

Neither so many countries nor bikes in my nigh on five decades of riding….. About 15 countries ridden in. Just 7 bikes owned, most for a good few years, and kilometres. My current 100cc ride is 17 years old and has been mine for more than 10 of them. It has 224,000 km on the clock, and looks good for many more. And I toured much of Central Europe in the early to mid '90s on a 250 that was ten years old when I bought it for 500. I had it for about five years before it was stolen.

Reliability generally comes down to maintenance. That being said, bikes from days of yore did require more frequent routine maintenance. And more complex systems increase the chance of gremlins.

In short, keep things simple, and maintained.