User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
cycleman2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Ferry info - Sunshine Coast BC

This June 2014, I'm going to be going up the Sunshine Coast BC and then across to Vancouver Island. I'll be taking the ferry that goes north from Vancouver.

My question. If you get on the ferry ( north of Vancouver - can't think of the terminal ) and travel up the Sunshine Coast and across to Vancouver Island at Powell River to Courtenay, do the ferry times make it possible to do this trip in one day or should you plan on a stop on the Sunshine Coast. Also if it is doable as a day trip - what ferry should you catch in the am at the mainland.

Just trying to plan my route for the summer. Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
This June 2014, I'm going to be going up the Sunshine Coast BC and then across to Vancouver Island. I'll be taking the ferry that goes north from Vancouver.

My question. If you get on the ferry ( north of Vancouver - can't think of the terminal ) and travel up the Sunshine Coast and across to Vancouver Island at Powell River to Courtenay, do the ferry times make it possible to do this trip in one day or should you plan on a stop on the Sunshine Coast. Also if it is doable as a day trip - what ferry should you catch in the am at the mainland.

Not to sure if it's doable but, go to the BC Ferries website they have all the schedules.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post

Yes, you can do it in one day. I did it 2 yrs ago, Horseshoe Bay to Gold River in one day. You should check often the ferry departure times, which change from spring to summer departure times I think the second or third weekend in June, with quite different times sometimes.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
cycleman2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I've checked the ferry times but they are only part of the equation as driving time between them is a bit of an unknown for me. So was looking for feedback from those that have done it.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,967
I did this twice a couple years ago. You'll need to get three ferries and it can be a package deal for I think 60 bucks for a motorcycle.
It's a fantastic ride but fairly slow. Easily in a day but make an overnighter if you want to site see along the way.. I went from Victoria, Comox, Powell River, Molly's Reach ( Beach Combers place, but cant remember the town), Vancouver and back to Victoria on a single tank on a 650 Strom. So you'r not covering a lot of kms and factor in some wait times at the ferry etc.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Easily done in 1 day with stops at some excellent little restaraunts along the way. I like to spend a night tho. Some excellent campsites and B&b's. The ferries at Gibsons and Powell River work out well as far as timing goes if you want to drive straight through, but take your time and enjoy. The Sunshine coast marches to it's own beat and it's a lot more laid back than the mainland. Enjoy.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I did this twice a couple years ago. You'll need to get three ferries and it can be a package deal for I think 60 bucks for a motorcycle.
No more package deals for anyone. We want your money!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
It's a fantastic ride but fairly slow. Easily in a day but make an overnighter if you want to site see along the way.. I went from Victoria, Comox, Powell River, Molly's Reach ( Beach Combers place, but cant remember the town), Vancouver and back to Victoria on a single tank on a 650 Strom. So you'r not covering a lot of kms and factor in some wait times at the ferry etc.
Molly's Reach is in Gibsons, on the Sunshine Coast.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Something to consider is when you get off the ferry it's a clusterfuck of people in a hurry to get somewhere on a limited amount of road.

You're probably best off giving yourself some time to nose around, even if as a bike you're first off. There is also a very limited amount of paved roads to explore on the Sunshine Coast/Powell River area. it won't take that long.

Yes, you can do from Horseshoe Bay over to Vancouver Island easily. There are, however, some great B&B's in Roberts Creek, might be worthwhile taking a later boat over from Vancouver and getting an early start in the morning if you want to bimble about.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
mazembe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
A reduction in ferry service is set to go into effect this spring and may not be shown on the B.C.F. web site yet. The saddest lose is the cancellation of the Discovery Coast route.
mazembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
cycleman2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I see that they've done a review and probably won't post the summer rates etc until around April/2014.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,124
BC Ferry Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazembe View Post
A reduction in ferry service is set to go into effect this spring and may not be shown on the B.C.F. web site yet. The saddest lose is the cancellation of the Discovery Coast route.
I started planning a ride down to the Lower 48 in June and originally thought I would just spend a few extra days in B.C. to do some hiking. However, after doing more research and seeing photos of incredibly stunning scenery, I decided to "support the local economy" and spend at least two weeks in B.C., spending a few days in small towns like Atlin, Stewart, Hyder and Bella Coola. I'm bringing my small packraft with me so I can do some hiking and paddling.

I had hoped to reduce some mileage by taking a ferry from Prince Rupert to Bella Coola, or a ferry from Bella Coola to Port Hardy, but unfortunately it looks like these routes will be canceled this summer. Just my unfortunate luck. But I guess I should warn the B.C. inmates that an Alaskan "Granny Gone Wild" will be touring your lovely region, enjoying every minute of it, except possibly the sun shining in my eyes while riding down the Cassiar.

Happy trails!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
No ferry to Bella Coola at all? Yow! I could see a cutback maybe, but to totally eliminate it seems rather harsh.

I guess they have to be able to fund those highly-paid executives and their generous pensions/benefits somehow.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,079
B C Ferries is so top heavy with over paid executives, i am surprised it doesn't topple over.

yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
No ferry to Bella Coola at all? Yow! I could see a cutback maybe, but to totally eliminate it seems rather harsh.

I guess they have to be able to fund those highly-paid executives and their generous pensions/benefits somehow.
Before BC ferries put in the central coast ferry service there was a small independent outfit {Tyee Princess} that was servicing the areas from Port Hardy to Bella Coola... They used to sell ride along tickets and transport eco tourists + goods up to the central coast inlets including Smiths and Rivers... B.C. ferries then came in and undercut these guys offering a similar service for less and put them out of business... When the competition was gone BC ferries then upped their rates which became a continuing trend until they were so high that ridership suffered which ended the service...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote