Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,045
The fare 2 years ago was about +$800.00 from Bella Coola to Hardy. No need for that I just rode Hwy 20 both ways. I see enough water at work anyway.

Coming down the Cassiar...darn wasn't even paved last time I did that in the rain. And the employer denied my leave last year so had to come back from Rupert instead of heading north but not before doing the Lava beds-Gingolx-New Aiyansh and up to Cranberry Jct on the Nass forest service road. Against the advice of the locals the Nass road for such a bike as mine. Piece of cake, I ride much worse in the Kootenays.

Lots of places to play if you are willing to enjoy the roads both ways.....who needs the ferries???

Pretty recent "news release" on the state of affairs with BC Ferries....

http://coastalferriesengagement.ca/d...010-000138.pdf
Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,427
Listening to the local radio station yesterday, it appears that the current ship, the "Chilliwack", is nearing it's life service end. The cost to replace this thing as always will be huge. The province is in debt, the debt is growing every year, so borrowing more money [debt] building a new ship to install into a perennial money losing run seems to me a plan only an idiot would want to stand behind. So, honestly, anyone who wants this ship run to continue, should step up and "full circle" the conversation by saying whether they want to enhance the government debt for the future residents and generations to look after, or point out other government programs they want cut to transfer money to this ship run. Of course there are those who say to cut the amount of managers, vice presidents, and cut their wages will do the trick, and I agree the amount of "desk drivers" and their wages are horrific and repulsive visually, the amount of money saved by reducing management costs would simply be a microscopic dent against the losing routes being cut.

They will be replacing this run with a "milk run" ship, 16 cars, open deck, no lounge, 16 hr one way. Not an option for a motorcyclist to huddle underneath a tarp in a sleeping back on the deck of the ship.

I've got family history in Bella Coola going back 125 years. It's sad to see this run being shut down. But as a tax payer, I'm not willing to subsidize the lives of those who wish to live in an area of extreme privacy and solitude like an island or far off town, but also wish easy fast link to urban society.
There's a reason there are so many ghost towns around the world. They became economically unfeasible.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Listening to the local radio station yesterday, it appears that the current ship, the "Chilliwack", is nearing it's life service end. The cost to replace this thing as always will be huge. The province is in debt, the debt is growing every year, so borrowing more money [debt] building a new ship to install into a perennial money losing run seems to me a plan only an idiot would want to stand behind. So, honestly, anyone who wants this ship run to continue, should step up and "full circle" the conversation by saying whether they want to enhance the government debt for the future residents and generations to look after, or point out other government programs they want cut to transfer money to this ship run. Of course there are those who say to cut the amount of managers, vice presidents, and cut their wages will do the trick, and I agree the amount of "desk drivers" and their wages are horrific and repulsive visually, the amount of money saved by reducing management costs would simply be a microscopic dent against the losing routes being cut.

They will be replacing this run with a "milk run" ship, 16 cars, open deck, no lounge, 16 hr one way. Not an option for a motorcyclist to huddle underneath a tarp in a sleeping back on the deck of the ship.

I've got family history in Bella Coola going back 125 years. It's sad to see this run being shut down. But as a tax payer, I'm not willing to subsidize the lives of those who wish to live in an area of extreme privacy and solitude like an island or far off town, but also wish easy fast link to urban society.
There's a reason there are so many ghost towns around the world. They became economically unfeasible.
Should we continue to subsidize the free convenience ferries that run across the interior lakes as well? A remember a few years back you put in a supportive plug for those because they were ones that serve you personally on your motorcycle journeys..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Should we continue to subsidize the free convenience ferries that run across the interior lakes as well? A remember a few years back you put in a supportive plug for those because they were ones that serve you personally on your motorcycle journeys..
My thoughts on the two main inland ferry routes have changed, in light of the extreme fiscal challenges post 2008. There should be some sort of charge to offset costs there.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
My thoughts on the two main inland ferry routes have changed, in light of the extreme fiscal challenges post 2008. There should be some sort of charge to offset costs there.
I had a 1 to 1 with one of the main government fellows on the ferry review panel and he didn't like the idea of charging a fare for those longer interior lake runs... Those runs sometimes have 2 boats running {1 large + 1 small} per each with a full crew compliment so they can't be that cheap to operate... I argued my point to the panel guy that they don't have to charge the full BC ferry rate, but at least add something to help cover the operating cost of those vessels...

Those ferries were put in yrs ago as a free service by the government of the day into an area that was vote rich for them, maybe the current government is also pulling enough votes from there that they are reluctant to rock that boat...

Just about every one of those people in upper management could take a 50% pay a cut and they would still be grossly over paid, the same goes for other departments like ICBC and the lot... These guys/gals are always quick to start talking about cuts until the high ceo salaries get mentioned and then the mumbling starts... But how many people in charge of their own salary would take real a pay cut? I remember 1 government of the day took a 10% pay hike as soon as they got in power and then a short while later when they started a cutting costs campaign they took a 5% pay cut for optics...

What are those people at the top doing to justify getting paid a salary that would employ 5-10 workers?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I had a 1 to 1 with one of the main government fellows on the ferry review panel and he didn't like the idea of charging a fare for those longer interior lake runs... Those runs sometimes have 2 boats running {1 large + 1 small} per each with a full crew compliment so they can't be that cheap to operate... I argued my point to the panel guy that they don't have to charge the full BC ferry rate, but at least add something to help cover the operating cost of those vessels...

Those ferries were put in yrs ago as a free service by the government of the day into an area that was vote rich for them, maybe the current government is also pulling enough votes from there that they are reluctant to rock that boat...

Just about every one of those people in upper management could take a 50% pay a cut and they would still be grossly over paid, the same goes for other departments like ICBC and the lot... These guys/gals are always quick to start talking about cuts until the high ceo salaries get mentioned and then the mumbling starts... But how many people in charge of their own salary would take real a pay cut? I remember 1 government of the day took a 10% pay hike as soon as they got in power and then a short while later when they started a cutting costs campaign they took a 5% pay cut for optics...

What are those people at the top doing to justify getting paid a salary that would employ 5-10 workers?
I agree with you. The optics of the whole thing are terrible.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
Kevin C
XTZ 750

Oddometer: 58
It would seem to me that the development of the ferry routes to the remote locations was OK while the industry was strong in those areas and the traffic was strong. It was the ferries that drove people to develop the small costal communities and routes to service them. Now, after the colour is fading from the flower, the highway system that built these communities is being withdrawn to the detriment of these same communities.

I listen to all the people who live on the mainland complain about how they are subsidizing the ferries. we chose to live here we should pay etc. What they don't seem to see is we pay for roads all over the province that we will never see or use, including all the new roads in the lower mainland. When the charges are put into place to help pay for them the people just change to a different route to avoid paying a small toll. We don't have that option.

When I moved to Vancouver Island over 20 years ago the travel on the ferry was still affordable, I could ride to the island and back for less that 25 bucks, now with 4 of us having to travel to the mainland it cost us $120.00 each way. Needless to say there is not much ferry use from this side. It is less expensive for us to travel on Washington State ferries, without the fancy ferries, huge restaurants, over staffed gift shops, buffets, brand new waiting lounges at the terminals.

It would seem that if the tolls were reduced to help increase traffic that they could reach a level of service to fare that would balance to increase ridership while increasing income.... but what do we know. As island resident we are the ones that use the system, unlike most of the elected who are "too busy" to wait and must fly to and from the Capital
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
It would seem to me that the development of the ferry routes to the remote locations was OK while the industry was strong in those areas and the traffic was strong. It was the ferries that drove people to develop the small costal communities and routes to service them. Now, after the colour is fading from the flower, the highway system that built these communities is being withdrawn to the detriment of these same communities.

I listen to all the people who live on the mainland complain about how they are subsidizing the ferries. we chose to live here we should pay etc. What they don't seem to see is we pay for roads all over the province that we will never see or use, including all the new roads in the lower mainland. When the charges are put into place to help pay for them the people just change to a different route to avoid paying a small toll. We don't have that option.

When I moved to Vancouver Island over 20 years ago the travel on the ferry was still affordable, I could ride to the island and back for less that 25 bucks, now with 4 of us having to travel to the mainland it cost us $120.00 each way. Needless to say there is not much ferry use from this side. It is less expensive for us to travel on Washington State ferries, without the fancy ferries, huge restaurants, over staffed gift shops, buffets, brand new waiting lounges at the terminals.

It would seem that if the tolls were reduced to help increase traffic that they could reach a level of service to fare that would balance to increase ridership while increasing income.... but what do we know. As island resident we are the ones that use the system, unlike most of the elected who are "too busy" to wait and must fly to and from the Capital
I should point out that 20 yrs ago the price of oil was $21cdn/barrel, now close to $110cdn/barrel, and I'll point out that the big ships running from Nanaimo-Horseshoe, Swartz/Tsawassen, and Duke-Tsawassen burn diesel at 1.5 - 1.8 litres per second. Of course, you don't have to worry about service cuts on your route, but surely you have issues with subsidizing the multi-millionaires on their run to Bowen Island?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
IMO, it's not the riding itself that makes the Sunshine Coast, it's the little stops along the way.
Skookemchuck Tidal Rapid is a pretty unique spot, and although I always paddle to it, it's supposed to be just a short hike in of the main road.

A meal in Lund and then a Snickers bar at Bliss Landing, both are cute as can be and unique little spots.

Personally, I had to go all the way to lands end at Sarah Point, taking the Canoe Portage Trail on the return to pavement.

Most likely need to schedule more than a day with an itinerary like that. But it's a shame to go all the way out to a place like the Sunshine Coast and then blast by the good stuff.

If you are returning from the island through Horseshoe Bay, tables 100 and 101 at the Boathouse restaurant are some of my favorites anywhere. Right in the corner of the outdoor deck with sailboats in the foreground and mountains in the background. And the Cedar Plank Salmon...perfect.

T.Low screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 04:09 PM
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #25
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
BC ferries is an interesting Beast, almost ALL of the runs loose money, THe Tswasson - Victoria, and Naniamo runs are about the only ones that do make any money, even considering the fact that 2013 was the worst year BC ferries had in 25 years they still made a PROFIT of 8 million dollars after paying all there exec's ridiculous bonus's.
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #26
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
Most likely need to schedule more than a day with an itinerary like that. But it's a shame to go all the way out to a place like the Sunshine Coast and then blast by the good stuff.
I agree completely. You almost have to ride to Lund once you are as far as Powell River. There is an ocean side campground a few miles before Lund that has to be one of the prettiest in a province known for great campgrounds.

Also agree with not rushing off the ferry even though you are first off. Everyone makes a mad dash for the Earls Cover ferry when you get off at Gibsons and then they hang around at the little terminal at Earls Cove waiting for the boat. They always have room for another bike so there is no need to rush.
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #27
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
I agree completely. You almost have to ride to Lund once you are as far as Powell River. There is an ocean side campground a few miles before Lund that has to be one of the prettiest in a province known for great campgrounds.

Easy to miss.

The road to Sarah Point.

T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #28
woofer2609
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Whew! Almost got involved in the ferry topic, which is always a hot button topic! Reservations should be free, that's all I'm going to say.
To the OP: research the BC ferries faresaver card. It will get you reduced fares on sunshine coast runs. I think you need a minimum of $120 on it, but you will use the total amount. Take marine drive out to the ferry from Vancouver as opposed to hwy 1, and as someone mentioned, motorcycles are first off the ferry, so you may want to stop in Gibsons (the public art gallery is good) and proceed after the Madding Crowd has driven through. Have fun! Powell River is beautiful! Its worth the ride to Gold River on the big island as well if you can.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #29
cycleman2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Thanks all for the info. much appreciated. I've been to the island many times over the years but on this trip we want to hit the Sunshine Coast. Yes I'm staying out of the ferry politics as well and from the looks of it will be waiting until April when the new ferry stuff comes out.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #30
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Thanks for the pics of signs to Sarah Pt and Dinner Rock . Used to work on tugs and log booms , Desolation Sound down to Howe Sound in the eighties .
Will have to ride the Sunshine Coast one day
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote