ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
gregman_1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Monroe, GA
Oddometer: 15
Question Trabslab information?

We're planning a big trip up from the Southeast U.S., through Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and across the Translab to Baie Comeau. I know they're constantly paving portions of the Translab and that conditions vary pretty wildly. Where's the best place to get up-to-date info on Translab conditions and road work?
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
gregman_1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Monroe, GA
Oddometer: 15
I should mention that conditions are rather important since we are all riding road warriors.
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Canada
Oddometer: 1,183
If your not good on gravel I would avoid that portion of the trip. Weather conditions change the road and graders can change the road a lot from one day to the next. You are in a totally remote area so if you get into trouble it can get bad fast. It is almost all paved from Goose Bay to Lab City now.
__________________
JimmieA.
Atlantic Canada.
2008 Honda XL1000V Varadero
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
C-Stain
Banned
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 4,996
A circumnavigation of the Trans-Lab is possible on street tires. Many have done it. Would I? Not likely. I completed the trip in 2011 and actually had a blow-out of one of my Continental TKC80 Knobbies.

The road conditions vary from section to section, the the best way to describe my experience was to compare it to riding on marbles on top of travertine tile. There is a solid base, covered in sand with marble sized rocks mixed in on top.

When the conditions were wet, it was akin to the above, coated in snot.

You'll find the area south of Port Hope Simpson (Mary's Harbour) to be very rocky and the road south of Mary's Harbour was one of the worst sections we encountered. The 11ga steel skid plate on my V-Strom had a rather large dent and my centerstand looked like the underside of a snowplow. YMMV.





C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
gregman_1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Monroe, GA
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
If your not good on gravel I would avoid that portion of the trip. Weather conditions change the road and graders can change the road a lot from one day to the next. You are in a totally remote area so if you get into trouble it can get bad fast. It is almost all paved from Goose Bay to Lab City now.
The three of us are very experienced riders with lots of off road experience, and we do take the road warriors (2 first gen Connies and a Buell) on trips through North Georgia's forestry service road system so we should be OK on the gravel. We will also be carrying SPOTs and one of Labrador's sat phones. The bikes are also being prepared accordingly, with crash cages and saddlebag guards. The Connies will also be getting armor for the coolant reservoirs as they're in a terrible place for rock protection (right in the fairing chin behind the front wheel). I also have a couple friends who did the Translab on FJRs and am aware of a guy who did the Dalton on a first gen Connie.

Thanks for the paving info, we are worried they will pave the whole damn thing by the time we get up there.

Stained, thanks for the info. We are a little concerned about tire durability, and I was aware that the Mary's Harbour section was a little rough, but that exceeds the info I had. Thanks for the info.
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,909
When I road it Aug/September it was fine (990A loaded). The only thing that may give you some fun is the gravel was a little deep, might be a little snatchy on smaller road bike wheels
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,260
I have seen Harleys and Goldwings on the TLH. Anyone can do it on anything.

When it is wet it gets sloppy but if you ride in the packed down heavy traffic area it is as good as any dirt road.
When you come up on the grader working sign is when it gets ugly. Stay as far from the loose stuff as is safe and crossing the berm ( if it can't be avoided) should be done with extreme caution. It is usually what causes one or two flights home every season.
Medical services are scarce.
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s(x3), RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,909
Day off Mr Murphy?

I think what Murph said is pretty spot on, I gravel that I hit was all fresh stuff.
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregman_1 View Post
The three of us are very experienced riders with lots of off road experience, and we do take the road warriors (2 first gen Connies and a Buell) on trips through North Georgia's forestry service road system so we should be OK on the gravel. We will also be carrying SPOTs and one of Labrador's sat phones. The bikes are also being prepared accordingly, with crash cages and saddlebag guards. The Connies will also be getting armor for the coolant reservoirs as they're in a terrible place for rock protection (right in the fairing chin behind the front wheel). I also have a couple friends who did the Translab on FJRs and am aware of a guy who did the Dalton on a first gen Connie.

Thanks for the paving info, we are worried they will pave the whole damn thing by the time we get up there.

Stained, thanks for the info. We are a little concerned about tire durability, and I was aware that the Mary's Harbour section was a little rough, but that exceeds the info I had. Thanks for the info.
No comparison. Labrador's "gravel" does not compare with anything I have ever ridden. I'm a 40+ year off road racer/rider, I've rode to the artic circle, I grew up on back country gravel roads, I've ridden 500000+ miles, and it was the worst road I have ever ridden! Period! Gravel yea, mine spoils, 1 inch material with no fines, think 3 inches of loose marbles on top of hard packed dirt, they are constantly grading it to a crown and no packed wheel track to ride in. Some spots would not be easy on a dirt bike. Would I do it again? Hell yea. On a cruiser? Not me.


__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-WR250F-Versys-690R-RZ350

sieg screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 02:02 PM
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Day off Mr Murphy?

I think what Murph said is pretty spot on, I gravel that I hit was all fresh stuff.
No day off for me. Cold and snow means I would not waste it when I can use it on the rare sunny day in the summer.
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s(x3), RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Canada
Oddometer: 1,183
Some tires are more prone to getting cut than others. When I run TKC80 I always end up with a few cuts in the main belt between the knobs. In that regard a 50/50 tire might be better like a Tourance. Road conditions up there can change a lot and quickly. No one mentioned bugs. The bugs can be a major issue if your stopped. You can get jackets made out of mesh covering your whole upper body, not a bad investment. I think the Quebec portion of the road is the worse by a large margin. Labrador maintains their road. good idea to make reservations for the NFLD ferry ahead of time but bikes are less of an issue and getting on the island seems easier than getting off. Look out for moose at night in NFLD.
__________________
JimmieA.
Atlantic Canada.
2008 Honda XL1000V Varadero
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Littlepeter's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cape Breton Island,Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
I have seen Harleys and Goldwings on the TLH. Anyone can do it on anything.

When it is wet it gets sloppy but if you ride in the packed down heavy traffic area it is as good as any dirt road.
When you come up on the grader working sign is when it gets ugly. Stay as far from the loose stuff as is safe and crossing the berm ( if it can't be avoided) should be done with extreme caution. It is usually what causes one or two flights home every season.
Medical services are scarce.
I agree. You can ride it on any machine as long as you adjust your speed accordingly. Stay in the groove and avoid the berm. The shoulder of the highway can also be very soft and and sandy under a thin layer of gravel. When we were coming out at Manic 5 we met an R1200rt and Harley Ultra going in. it would have been a very slow ride for those bikes.
Here is a small construction zone on the Quebec end of the highway. The water truck and dump truck drag raced down the highway shortly after this. If anyone had been coming to meet them they wouldn't have had a chance.



ps: don't rely on the sign men at construction zones!
Littlepeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,949
Rain came quick and hard when we were on it.

Chrisp seemed to be able to get some good road shots in.

pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
gregman_1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Monroe, GA
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Rain came quick and hard when we were on it.

Chrisp seemed to be able to get some good road shots in.

That is the first shot I have seen that looks extra challenging. All the other shots look the same or slightly better than our FS roads here.

All in all, we have four days planned between Blanc Sablon and Lab City, and the trip as a whole has five days of buffer, so if we have to wait for road conditions or otherwise, we could conceivably take 9 days to cross the Translab. We're not stupid (although we may be crazy), and we do take things like this into account. The rider reports are invaluable too, thanks guys!
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,949
When its sunny and warm, its easy to ride a long as fast as you want. Rain hits and it turns to a sloppy mess. But that's a good time to stop and drink some beers and wait if you want.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gregman_1 View Post
That is the first shot I have seen that looks extra challenging. All the other shots look the same or slightly better than our FS roads here.

All in all, we have four days planned between Blanc Sablon and Lab City, and the trip as a whole has five days of buffer, so if we have to wait for road conditions or otherwise, we could conceivably take 9 days to cross the Translab. We're not stupid (although we may be crazy), and we do take things like this into account. The rider reports are invaluable too, thanks guys!
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014