Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #31
gregman_1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I agree with take your time and see what it is you are blasting through.....we did just that blasted right through and now I am thinking of doing it again but at a snails pace....just to see what I should have seen the first time. Yes it is being paved faster than you could imagine......so what, OK, it would be much better if it were a dirt road but still, if you like being in an area totally alone it's the place for you. I hear there are many off shoots to explore and see, plenty of natural beauty spots we didn't see because we were too worried about getting to a ferry in time etc. IF you are doing the round trip adventure, do it anti clockwise so the only inportant ferry crossing is out of your way while you are on the best section of the ride. Riding through NFLD and Labrador....or you will be like us.....continually worried about mising that frig'in ferry. I'm pretty sure it won't matter which way you ride it to see it the best so to speak, just do it at a relaxed speed.....you will thank us for it if you do. There are many threads that give detailed info on the what to see if you have the time and not blasting through....search them out.....I have found plenty I missed and want to back to see.
The ride is what you make it and what you want from it.......some just want to actual riding experience where as others what to experience the area.
The plan from the start has been anti clockwise specifically for the reason you mentioned (ferry scheduling). I know the ferries into and out of NFLD can be packed and reservations are a good idea, so we put them after four or five days of pavement riding to keep the schedule.

Also, doing some reading, it looks like Phase I (Goose Bay-Lab City) is supposed to be completely paved by the time we get there.
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #32
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
how many ferries?

I also want do this ride at some point; since the road from Happy Valley-Goose Bay to Cartwright ( I think) was completed, does this mean that the only (necessary) ferry would be crossing over to Newfoundland?

Thanks,

Joe

edit. I see that the ferry from HVGB to Cartwright was taken out of service at the end of 2010.

trailuser screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 09:19 PM
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #33
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
There is a short ferry ride from the island of NFLD. to Que.(Labrador). It is up on the northern Peninsula. It isn't really necessary to make reservations I don't think for a bike.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I did the Trans Lab back in 2010 on the KLR. I said that the next trip would be on the FJR..............that's happening this August. The only mod I plan to make is mounting up a set of TKC-80s. Looking forward to seeing some of you up there this summer.

Not sure if your read this RR http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620129

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 06:00 PM
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #35
BanditAdventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
TransLab - just do it.

I did it back in 2010 on my VStrom with Metzler Tourances and had no major issues. Feel free to read my post for any details:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752853

I was lucky to have FABULOUS weather - no rain - so no real challenges in the gravel. Also going in September (later in season) also made it not too bad - gravel was not thick most of the time.

A few pucker moments with some downhills and turns - not a lot of road signs - sometimes the turns are sharper than you think as you approach them, and puckering at 80 km/h around a gravel turn without trying to lean, and ABS (which you can't really turn off on a VStrom) not slowing you down much - can be a moment of real fun!
BanditAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #36
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Hey Gregman, what border crossing(s) are you going to go thru for this trip?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #37
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Rain came quick and hard when we were on it.

Chrisp seemed to be able to get some good road shots in.

That looks familiar

My $0.02 .... get a steering damper and have fun

Oh, and weight is your enemy pack as light as you can.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #38
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post
I did the Trans Lab back in 2010 on the KLR. I said that the next trip would be on the FJR..............that's happening this August. The only mod I plan to make is mounting up a set of TKC-80s. Looking forward to seeing some of you up there this summer.
Last translab report I read with FJRs, all had blown fork seals by the time they came out of it.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #39
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Any chance you can post a link to those FJR ride reports.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote