Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #46
1 wheel peel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
.....Pick a good bike, fix it up right, and you'll be fine....
Best statement yet.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #47
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 387
Not 70's or 80's but put many happy travel miles on my 94 CB1000

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #48
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Touring seems to be the area where brand new bikes are needed the least. As long as it's reliable, comfortable and big enough to carry the required load, what more do you want?
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #49
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Touring seems to be the area where brand new bikes are needed the least. As long as it's reliable, comfortable and big enough to carry the required load, what more do you want?
Again, it all depends on what you're after. An old Suzuki GS is a fine old touring bike, but if you want to have ABS and traction control for wet roads, weather protection, power to able to cruise at 90+, ability to mount modern radial tubeless tires, well-sorted hard luggage, ability to do fire roads, well-sorted FI for high-altitudes, 300+ mile range for worry-free riding in the far west, etc. then there is no way an old GS can hold a candle to something like a new BMW GSA. If none of these are important, then yes, the new bike isn't needed. But these things are important to many riders. Personally speaking, I have zero interest in long-distance touring on a bike with tubes that I have to break down the wheel/tire and patch a tube if I have a flat - this is my "hot button". And as a safety worry-wart who will do everything in my power to avoid any further trips to ER's, ABS is a must-have on any all-weather touring bike of mine.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 12:32 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #50
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
17 inch wheels, 4.7 inches of suspenssion travel, and 430 pounds all make it a poor choice for an all around bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The CB500X, CB500R, and CB500F. A lot of good luggage options are available, but you're right, they don't have the wide/broad seats and ability to fit large luggage racks like some UJM's. I brought this model up not to suggest it is a great touring bike, but to present it as a modern-day equivalent of bikes like the old CB350, CB400 Hawks, etc. that folks were lamenting about and saying you couldn't buy a cheap/simple bike today. These 500's are well-rounded and great-performing twins for KLR money.

If you want a modern UJM, the obvious answer is a CB1100. Or a used ZRX which is water-cooled, but otherwise fits the UJM mold to a tee. You can pick up a nice ZRX for $3K and it will run rings around any 70's and 80's UJM.

BTW, having restored both a Suzuki GS750 and a Honda CB750, I disagree with you about Suzuki having better old-bike parts support than Honda and Kawasaki. Honda is by far the best of the Japanese mfgs, and BMW is the best I've seen overall.

- Mark
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #51
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
17 inch wheels, 4.7 inches of suspenssion travel, and 430 pounds all make it a poor choice for an all around bike.
Depends on what you're using it for. Besides, it's awfully hard to judge a bike by the numbers.

Also, I have an old (1979) GS750 so maybe I'm a bit biased, but they make pretty darn good touring bikes. enough power for the highway, pretty comfortable, they handle well, and the engines are bulletproof. Sure, the 950 is "better" but it's still a lot of fun to take the old GS out. Hell, I've even done river crossings and a few jeep trails on the GS. then again, I'm one of those 'special' people that gets a kick out of taking machinery to very inappropriate locations.

Unfortunately my garage is too small, so she is for sale... still a great bike, though.

1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #52
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Again, it all depends on what you're after.
This is true. No one said it was for everyone.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #53
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Why? What wheel size, suspension travel, and weight makes the ideal "all around" bike?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #54
luftkoph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
June 1978 quit my job loaded up the 77 gs 550,and pointed her west,didn't get back until october. It's a good thing no one told me that is not a proper touring bike,I might have never gone.
luftkoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #55
Prof J OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Can someone point me to a good Ride Report on a UJM? I am interested on how people would have handled road side repairs on a 30 year old bike (availability of spare parts and what not).
Prof J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #56
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof J View Post
Can someone point me to a good Ride Report on a UJM? I am interested on how people would have handled road side repairs on a 30 year old bike (availability of spare parts and what not).
Here are two of my favorites.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366117

Note that most of the difficulties encountered in the second RR could have been avoided if the ride wasn't being done on such a tight budget. Any old bike needs a thorough going over before being put into regular service.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #57
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I did the same thing in the early 80's on a 1979 Triumph Bonneville, which I thought was the ultimate touring bike.

No saddle bags, windshield, abs, traction control, gps or fuel injection.
I had no problems in the mountains, or in the 120F desert heat, or running 100 mph for long interstate runs.

We sure seem to be spoiled these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftkoph View Post
June 1978 quit my job loaded up the 77 gs 550,and pointed her west,didn't get back until october. It's a good thing no one told me that is not a proper touring bike,I might have never gone.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #58
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I have always love the small bike trip reports on here. I acquired a 1975 CB200T trainwreck, and have nearly finished restoring it. It was rusty, ugly and didn't run. But now it's not rusty, and it does run Seeing as how it's my only bike for at least the next 5 years, it will have to do for touring around the state of Ohio and Michigan. Ortlieb makes a set of saddle bags that don't require brackets, and they're waterproof. Since I come from a backpacking background, my base weight for 40*F and up is 8 pounds. So I have some headroom for tools, spares, food etc. I look forward to doing my first ride report. Cheers!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #59
Prof J OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Cb200T,

Please put a pic of your bike. I really lusted after that one when I was in high school.
Prof J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #60
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof J View Post
Cb200T,

Please put a pic of your bike. I really lusted after that one when I was in high school.
The build thread is in my signature too if you're interested. But here's where we are right now.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=95

And here's the first start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r_K52J0ML4

I have to finish putting it back together, make a caliper mount for the hydro front brake I'm retrofitting and tune it. I'm hoping to have it finished over spring break at the end of February. I've got a deadline of finishing it and learning how to ride, because a friend and I are riding out to Indy in August to watch the MotoGP race.