Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #61
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Again, have you looked at the new Honda 500's? They're definitely not race bikes nor touring sleds, and they're totally unlike a KLR except in price.

- Mark

Thing is the thread is about touring on older UJMs. The OP does it on his Seca and wondered if others did it too. Sure there are disadvantages, but one thing that is not presently duplicated by the Honda 500 is the look. Few bikes have the look. Only the Honda 1100F and certain Triumph twin models have the look from the 70s and 80s.

Part of what I buy is based on what it looks like, do I like it. That is why I have a KLX 650 over a Honda XR650L, one looks like a nearly current motocrosser the other looks like a lightly done over 1984 dual sport (I bought in 1997 too). I have a 1990 Kaw Zephyr 550 because it looks like a second gen AMA Superbike, which I like. If I eventually get a scooter to dink around and run errands it will likely be a Yamaha Zuma because I like how it looks.

The 500s are interesting, but not what I personally would like. I doubt many who like 70s-80s UJMs would either.

One plus to those old UJMs if they still have the grab rails on them there is virtually unlimited positioning for bungee cording stuff on. The negatives are now getting racks and stuff like that, only possible to find used in most cases unless you luck out and find some NOS at some dealer.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #62
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Thing is the thread is about touring on older UJMs.
Yes, but there has been tangential discussion of the lack of simple/inexpensive/versatile new bikes as well. That's what I was addressing with my suggestion to look at the 500's. I agree, they're not very UJM'ish, especially in the "look" department.

As a CBX owner, I know about the "look" - I admire it several times every day. But I have little interest in touring on it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #63
sonnystile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
If you can only have one bike, a UJM is a nice way to go because it can be whatever you need it to be.

Never great, but plenty good enough.

And they are budget friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sonnystile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #64
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Yes, but there has been tangential discussion of the lack of simple/inexpensive/versatile new bikes as well. That's what I was addressing with my suggestion to look at the 500's. I agree, they're not very UJM'ish, especially in the "look" department.

As a CBX owner, I know about the "look" - I admire it several times every day. But I have little interest in touring on it.

- Mark

OOOhhhhh... CBX!

Back in the 80s I rode one from around Canton Ohio to Springfield Ohio for a flat track race. It was a 78 model with a Kerker 3-2 exhaust. Sounded killer! Unfortunately the drone on the highway sounded like I was riding beside a two stroke diesel... Ugh.

You should remember when there used to be a plethora of used UJMs for low buck. Problem is the exporting of used bikes done in the late 80s to early 2000s ate up a heck of a lot of those bikes. Dealers were buying up bikes and shipping them by the container load to Europe and Asia. New bikes there were so expensive the used bikes here so cheap that it was a profitable business.

Now those bikes are gone. The ones that are left kind of sift down into the hands of people that plan to keep them. Of course with some careful looking one can get a great 750 Nighthawk for $3000 or less.

My thing was the character, which with you owning a CBX, you will understand. Compare the Zephyr to the new Honda and someone that likes the UJM will gravitate toward the Zephyr. That's all.

I was oblivious to the side issue.

Would you not tour on your CBX if it was one of the Supersports, bags and all? They're not that far off of some of the more touring oriented sport tourers. I understand if it is the 78-79 with those "stout" 35mm forks and the high zoot chrome door stoppers they put on as shocks.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #65
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Would you not tour on your CBX if it was one of the Supersports, bags and all?
It's a 79. I could tour on it, but as I said earlier, given a choice, I'll tour on a modern machine with weather protection, ABS brakes, and tubeless radial tires. And while my CBX is overall reliable, there is no way any 35-you bike with six carbs and one of the very first transistorized ignition systems produced by Honda is going to match a modern bike in terms of reliability, not to mention the difficulty in finding parts or fixing breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. Finally, if your classic has significant value because it is a classic, the economics often work against you as the miles and wear/tear on the old bike really affects its value, making it much more expensive than riding a newer bike.

If I wanted to tour on an older UJM, I'd find something more pedestrian. Maybe something like one of the Yamaha Secas, one of the 2nd-gen Honda air-cooled UJM's (like the DOHC CB750F), etc. Something beat up a bit. If it completely blew up in Hutchison Kansas, you could give it away to some kid at the local cycle shop and catch a plane home.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 03:58 PM
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #66
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 276
85 Nighthawk

I have an 85 Honda Nighthawk 650 that I tour on. I've rebuilt most everything on it. Starts and runs with no fuss. Simple and reliable. I wish it were a bit more comfortable over distance but the small fuel tank means I stop regularly and stretch.
And it's what I can afford.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #67
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,192
I rode my 1980 Yamaha XS1100 around the US twice. Camped all the way.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #68
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
It's a 79. I could tour on it, but as I said earlier, given a choice, I'll tour on a modern machine with weather protection, ABS brakes, and tubeless radial tires. And while my CBX is overall reliable, there is no way any 35-you bike with six carbs and one of the very first transistorized ignition systems produced by Honda is going to match a modern bike in terms of reliability, not to mention the difficulty in finding parts or fixing breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. Finally, if your classic has significant value because it is a classic, the economics often work against you as the miles and wear/tear on the old bike really affects its value, making it much more expensive than riding a newer bike.

If I wanted to tour on an older UJM, I'd find something more pedestrian. Maybe something like one of the Yamaha Secas, one of the 2nd-gen Honda air-cooled UJM's (like the DOHC CB750F), etc. Something beat up a bit. If it completely blew up in Hutchison Kansas, you could give it away to some kid at the local cycle shop and catch a plane home.

- Mark
I have a different point of view on touring myself. I will do it on a bike in the hills and mountains, I'll take a trailer with the bikes on it to the hills and mountains. But then again I always hated going straight.

If I did have to do the long flat stuff I'd be on a Wing.

Did you ever get the chance to ride one of the CBX Supersports ala 1981-2? I know they were far better bikes than the first two years. We sold several of them in 85 during Honda's warehouse clean out, they were like $3500 plus tax. I know at least one saw the far side of 50,000 miles. Pro Link, full supersport fairing and detachable hard bags. A real sport tourer from the early 80s. Not an ST or FJR, but still competent.

They aren't on par with the present day stuff and I wouldn't pretend they were. You can get about everything on the present day tourers except a great buy used and the look of the 70s-80s bike.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #69
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you ever get the chance to ride one of the CBX Supersports ala 1981-2? I know they were far better bikes than the first two years. We sold several of them in 85 during Honda's warehouse clean out, they were like $3500 plus tax. I know at least one saw the far side of 50,000 miles. Pro Link, full supersport fairing and detachable hard bags. A real sport tourer from the early 80s. Not an ST or FJR, but still competent.
Never rode one. To me, the reason for owning a CBX is the celebrate the engine and the fact that this audacious engine made it the absolute top-dog superbike in 1979, even though all the other competing superbikes (XS11, GS1000, and Z1R) where actually better all-arounders. To put this engine behind plastic fairings and neuter the bike to make it a more comfortable sport-tourer is sacrilege. But I'm certainly not objective about it.

- Mark
Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #70
lacucaracha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 7
Just took my 1982 Seca 650 from Napa to LA, and up the 395 and back. 1700 miles. No issues save for a sticking throttle in the last 30 minutes of the 5 days. It was a wonderful bike, and held its own against a 2012 V-strom.

lacucaracha is offline   Reply With Quote