User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
AZ Needle Rock and Bartlett areas

Last weekend while everyone else went on big rides on little bikes, Reidy008 and I decided to have a little ride on big bikes.

First stop was Needle Rock Park on the Verde River, just north of Fountain Hills.

Verde River looking south

To see Needle Rock(s), you gotta go past the nice little picnic area to the big gravel lot. This is where the peeps go in the summer to splash around in the water.

Looking north

From this parking area, a wash signed FR413 takes off northwest. If you don’t like sand riding, this is not the place for you. There was also more traffic on this trail than expected, so watch for oncoming quads, bikes and jeeps. A couple miles in, we stopped to talk to a patrolling ranger. He was a really nice guy and gave us the skinny on some of the area trails. The first of which peeled off the 413 and headed into a bit of a slot type canyon too narrow for a side by side, but ok for a quad and fun on a bike.

FR404 takes off from FR413. Our ranger friend assured us this trail was open to motorized.

Subsequent signage warns of narrow canyons ahead, and shows off limits to motorized. We figured the ranger wouldn’t steer us wrong, so we went on. Looking back down the wash from where we came. He gave us his card, which we decided to treat as a “Get out of jail free” card. Luckily, we didn’t have to test it.

The trail ahead. Lots of deep sand. This is a lot of work! I keep hoping Reidy will surrender even though I know better. Worse still, he likes it!

Into the “Pinch” now. Here comes Reidy008 on the big girl.

The sand wasn’t as loose in here, which was good. Every now and then I’d get a little too close to a wall trying to keep the momentum up. Reidy is grinning inside his helmet.

This narrow spot is probably ¼ to ½ mile long or so. Really fun to ride through.

After the slot, time to peel off some layers as this is becoming more of a work out and we have a ways to go.

There was one gnarly uphill and two BIG downhills to deal with. At the top of the first hill, we talked to some quad riders who frequent the area. They said the trail ahead was too rocky for them and thus had never ventured any further than this hill. We decided to see if they were studley adventurers or sand weenies.

Our first impression was the trail was easy, not that many rocks, the quad guys were sand weenies. As I slid down the second big downhill toward the baby head rocked landing area with a corner in the middle of it, I thought maybe we had been quick to judge.

Reidy had to kill the big twin and ease it down the hill as best he could letting the dead engine slow him down. I shoulda made a video of that, but I decided to stay out of the way at the bottom of the hill instead! Anyway, we made it down unscathed but I’m damn glad we didn’t have to try to go up that sucker.

Just behind Reidy is the corner you slide into and the hill was up to the right side.

And back into the sand. At the bottom of the big hill, FR388 intersects. To the south, we could hook back into the 413, and to the north should hook up to Bartlett Dam Road.

Northbound.

We got to Bartlett Dam Road, and wanted to look for the old trail that is soon to be re-opened that will connect up to Devils Hole. Our ranger friend had told us that this will soon re-open, and the signage confirms it.

FR532 is scheduled to re-open to motorized after several years of closure. (We should all thank our resident OHV guy, Jeff, who works on all this stuff in our behalf.)

Opening soon!

Since we couldn’t take that one yet, we went on down to Bartlett Dam and explored the Riverside campground a little bit. Not much there, but it is close to the river and you get some nice views of Bartlett Dam and spillway.

From there, the stomach was starting to complain from lack of food, and with the long sand workout we figured lunch at Cave Creek sounded good. Buffalo Chip Saloon to the rescue.

We’ll have to plan an inauguration ride when 532 opens up. The signs said late winter of 2014, and it’s February now, so should be soon. Looking forward to it!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
cyberdos
True Story Meng

Oddometer: 24,350
Count me in for the Inaugural ride.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,003
Nice work

Great report as usual Steve. This was a great exploration ride in an area we new little of. For anyone wanting to work on their sand riding this is a great place to go to. We are looking at doing a big loop once the old area opens up that will take the route we did and then into the new area, under horseshoe and to sheeps bridge. Then depending on the group and time we will look at something interesting from there.

Maybe Nighstalker or Yardstick can chime in on the trails we were on as I think they are part of the Wildcat area. Any idea?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,799
that 413 is camp creek i believe,,,, if it is ive taken that to and from wildcat a few times,,, sand it right.

i always thought a place on the river at the end of indian springs wash where it hits FR42 was devils hole,,, but there is more than one of almost everything out there for names, so who knows.

i'd have to look at my old maps, but i used to cross the verde about halfway between needle rock and bartlett to get on the east side of the river, from there you get a few options for bartlett, horshoe, sheep bridge and the beeline hwy.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
that 413 is camp creek i believe,,,, if it is ive taken that to and from wildcat a few times,,, sand it right.

i always thought a place on the river at the end of indian springs wash where it hits FR42 was devils hole,,, but there is more than one of almost everything out there for names, so who knows.

i'd have to look at my old maps, but i used to cross the verde about halfway between needle rock and bartlett to get on the east side of the river, from there you get a few options for bartlett, horshoe, sheep bridge and the beeline hwy.
Yes, 413 is Camp Creek. It is called a road, but really doesn't resemble one.

I think Devils hole is at the N end of 42, but that 532 is kind of a cut across from closer to the 205 and Bartlett Dam road intersection. That is where I really wanted to go, but will have to wait til it opens up. The mountain bike sites say 532 is a tough 12mi out and back to Devils Hole. Looks too sandy to be a decent bicycle trail to me, but who knows.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
I saw you guys leaving. I was behind you on my Guzzi 2up with my wife on Bartlett Lake road.

Guzzi + 2up + sand = no good.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
I saw you guys leaving. I was behind you on my Guzzi 2up with my wife on Bartlett Lake road.

Guzzi + 2up + sand = no good.
Yes, I think I recall seeing you coming out from a road to our right. I hope I waved, but if not, I meant to! Cool bike BTW.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
The Africa Twin is my dream bike! How did you get one into the US?
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

I didn't

A guy from Germany bought it in and I was lucky enough to get it after another guy got it a title and everything needed here in the US. They are kind of like Rocking Horse poo..... Not easy to find
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
thanks for the report. with everyone complaining about riding areas being closed down, it's great to see areas being opened.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,799
whiners and snivvelers suck, i am sad that some of my favorite places to go were closed, many have not re-opened, but i find new places.

last i checked something like 30% more new stuff is opening or re-opening than what is being closed.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Great report as usual Steve. This was a great exploration ride in an area we new little of. For anyone wanting to work on their sand riding this is a great place to go to. We are looking at doing a big loop once the old area opens up that will take the route we did and then into the new area, under horseshoe and to sheeps bridge. Then depending on the group and time we will look at something interesting from there.

Maybe Nighstalker or Yardstick can chime in on the trails we were on as I think they are part of the Wildcat area. Any idea?
Good stuff! I'm not sure where Wildcat officially begins and ends out there, but I think I know the slot canyon you guys were in. There are a couple of ways out of it.

It will be neat to see the trails north of Bartlett Rd. again. I remember a few rides that went from Pima & Dynamite to well north of Bartlett Rd. mostly on singletrack.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
Me too

Great trip report. Thanks for taking some pictures of YOUR ohv money at work. It's nice to see folks appreciating their money making a difference.

Single Track Summit is scheduled for April 5 in the Phoenix area...details pending. This will be a workshop for users and land managers to learn about decal projects, how to get the money, how to work together with agencies to create more NEW riding areas, and folks who have been working in the trenches telling their stories. Good stuff is in our immediate future, especially where agencies have already passed a travel management rule. Hopefully I will have a whole bunch of new trails, and legitimately opened old ones for you guys to go photograph in the coming years!
Thanks,
I'm sure you don't get nearly enough "thank you's" Jeff. But we do appreciate your work on this!
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
That slot canyon on 404 is a hoot! If you guys had continued on, the second steep downhill would have been quite the eyeopener on the bigger bikes!

Great RR!
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Yes sir

Slowred we did continue on..... and the second hill was definately more challenging than the first. We were able to finish all the trails unlike our quad riding buddies who cautioned us to turn around it if got to tuff for us... what a bunch of girls. The pic that shows me coming down the hill is the first one, the second one Steve was just waiting to see if a big pile of bike and human came crashing to the bottom. He did say he wished he got some pics of that decent though.

I was thinking this might be on the list for starting out a two day big bike trip that takes us up north. I know 4play, YBracing and Big E can't wait for some more sand riding...