Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
The Lazy Destroyer OP
Adventurous sportbike

Oddometer: 124
GSXR on ice

Well here's my story of the ATL ice fiasco:

Left work at noon shortly after the snow started coming down. Didn't think much of it, ridden in snow before so how bad could it get right? It was still pretty clear on the roads and went a few miles with no issues, but got into a total standstill halfway home. Kept trying different roads to get around but the amount of ice on the side roads was a little unnerving. I could ride on it but not really well. Slipped it pretty bad in some black ice in my best Garry Mccoy impression on a side road, thought for sure I was going down... I kept it up... but accidentally bumped the rear brake at the wrong time while riding over the ice and stalled the bike. Bike wouldn't start, dead battery. Usually the heated gear isn't a problem but I guess sitting still for so long I just didn't think about it. Thought I was screwed because no way I was getting a tow at this point with so many wrecks around. Good samaritan helped me bump start the bike (he insisted). Dropped the tire pressures as much as I could since it didn't look like we were going over 5mph the rest of the day.

Kept idling up the road, traffic wasn't moving, going just a few car length every 10 minutes. Thought about turning around but there was gravel in my lane which was a huge help, there was none going back the other way so I just stayed with it. Thought if Hwy 140 looked a lot better than Arnold Mill Rd I'd stay on that and park the bike at the first decent parking lot. They both looked bad so I just went for Arnold Mill Rd to get home. Went up the first hill trying to stay on the drier part but slipped it anyways, went down only going ~10mph. Was weird, felt like the whole bike just slid out from under me before I could even register anything was happening.

Probably for the best because if I slipped going down the following hill it could have been sketchy.

Good samaritan #2 helped me get the bike up and put it next to the guardrail, coincidentally he lives 5 houses down from me and said he was on his way home, I took it as a sign and rode back with him.

Wife was only 5 minutes behind me, fortunately I was able to call her right before she got there so she got warned what was ahead:

Last night the wife and I walked the mile to the bike to check on it after the snow stopped:

I was afraid since I was near the bottom of a hill my bike got hit by someone but it was safe. There were about 15 or so cars stuck near me at this point.

Tiff had fun w/ by bike:

BIG THANKS to Tam and Chas for helping me with the recovery of the bike after the roads started clearing up, they've been helping people yesterday and all day today in Woodstock:

Back home safe and sound:

Some minor rash on the crash bars, only because I've been lazy lately and not re-installing the sliders in them after maintenance:

...and a broken turn signal (but it still works!):

The ice caught the fairing a bit but this was the only spot:

But nothing major. Bike still started right up even after sitting overnight in the cold on a weak battery. We had to de-thaw my ignition with a hand warmer packet to get the key in and I had a crazy amount of icicles on my bike by the time it got back to the garage.

"Those who possess power define those who are powerless."
The Lazy Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Not to bad

Good story. I'm glad it all ended with just a little more character on a nice bike.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,681
Nutz....my friend and his KLR went to school....was home by 1 in the highlands. I left work at 3.30 in the cage and it only took 20 mins. I got lucky and cut through Grant Park to East Atlanta. Glad no one swiped the bike.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,473
I saw it sitting against the guardrail; even took a picture!
Glad you got it home OK; if there is a next time call me and we'll run down with the quad and utility trailer.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
hellboy7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Damn! Sorry to hear about that.. I was reading about the snow situation in GA. is it' all sorted out now?
hellboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy7 View Post
Damn! Sorry to hear about that.. I was reading about the snow situation in GA. is it' all sorted out now?
The schools are still shut and there was still ice in shady places or less-traveled roads this morning (my neighborhood had some sections of road still completely iced), but it's ~43 out now.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
obsidian16825
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
So glad you got home safe. Providence, having a neighbor there when you needed help, for sure.
obsidian16825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
I lived in Woodstock for a few years, and I remember how much fun those roads are when it starts snowing.

I'm glad it all worked out well!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 260
Sounds familiar. I left work at ~10:30 once the schools got called off. It took me close to an hour to ride 2 miles. In that time, the roads got much worse. The hill right by my house was iced over. Cars weren't making it. I dropped my bike at <5 mph. I got her back up and some people helped me put her in a parking lot. She is still sitting about 0.2 miles away as I threw my back out snatching her up and then helping stuck cars make it up the hill. Snowpocalypse strikes.
t-bills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Glad things didn't turn out too bad for you Blake.

In the stopped traffic were you ever in a position to filter to the front or did that just seem pretty risky with the limited traction available. It wasn't like there were any cops around anyway helping anyone and no one was going to be able to chase you down.

Between you and Benny, you both had an adventure for sure.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #11
The Lazy Destroyer OP
Adventurous sportbike

Oddometer: 124
I think if I were on any larger road, like 92 or most other highways, I probably would have for sure. 140 was just too tight in most spots and with some of the sliding I was doing it was nice having a whole lane width to play with. Add to the sliding I saw other people doing and I felt a bit safer in the lane.

"Those who possess power define those who are powerless."
The Lazy Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lazy Destroyer View Post
I think if I were on any larger road, like 92 or most other highways, I probably would have for sure. 140 was just too tight in most spots and with some of the sliding I was doing it was nice having a whole lane width to play with. Add to the sliding I saw other people doing and I felt a bit safer in the lane.
That's what I figured. The nice thing about the MC is being able to fit through tight spaces, but on a 2 lane road, that probably isn't happening much.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
"ridden in snow before so how bad could it get right
"
...on a streetbike, and no winter tyres right?
If so, then I'd advice to not make it a habit. There could be just harmless spills, that you can laugh about later, but if your luck runs out, can get very nasty very soon, too.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Your post reminded me of the olden days when I used to put my skis in a ski-tote and head up to the mountains on my pre-GSXR, 82 Katana to go skiing. It was always an adventure. The snow isn't much of a problem but the ice did make the commute more exciting. I never dropped it up there though I did come close a number of times.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Thought of you as I was trying to load my CB750 into my truck at work with the snow falling down around us. I had to pick up my truck at work today but instead of getting a ride from the wife this morning I decided to take the bike since snow wasn't scheduled until around lunch time. Of course I wait until then to load up the truck. Luckily nothing major happened and there was amusement for people driving past us. The roads were SLICK!!