Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #106
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,236
Fight it. No questions asked. THat's one jacked up ticket. Let the cop explain to the judge all the doublespeak that's on the ticket.....not you.

On my tickets I always take them home and read them over and over looking for any mistakes THEY made. Got out of a couple of them by doing so. Hell, I don't document stuff exactly right at work and they don't either.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #107
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Take it to court.....it is your right.

Maybe the judge will toss it, as there is no place with the speed limit is posted as zero. Or maybe, once he hears the Officers testimony, he will realize how big a break you were already given, and be predisposed to find you guilty on the remaining charge.

As far as mistakes on tickets: I stopped a guy for like 16 over, in a black 66ish Pontiac Tempest. On the ticket, I wrote Pontiac GTO.

THAT was why he took it to court....he kept hammering that it could not possibly have been him, as he owns a Tempest, and not a GTO.

The judge asked him if he owned a black 66 Pontiac.

He said "Yes."

Judge said "Guilty".

So......typos or other minor mistakes are not a guarantee of dismissal.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #108
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
With the criminal in the White House and the US Department of Justice, its difficult for me to write any Class C ticket to a citizen anymore.

The sign of the times in obamas amerika.
Seriously?

Keep it in CS&M loco.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #109
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Pay the ticket and be done with it. Karma can be a queen, or she can be a bitch. The cop gave you a break, don't screw him as a return favor. Will the ticket get thrown out if you pursue it? Yes, he wrote you a ticket for something you didn't do, he essentially lied, doing you an act of kindness, don't repay him like that. Karma will return the favor, somewhere, sometime. Appear in court, ask for a reduced fine due to income, but don't lie. Count yourself lucky, it could be far worse.

Get you wheelies in the dirt, no dirt? Sucks to be you, buy an econo Harley to help avoid the temptation
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #110
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
On my tickets I always take them home and read them over and over looking for any mistakes THEY made.
And what about the mistake YOU made in the first place?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #111
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
And what about the mistake YOU made in the first place?
He's just looking out for number one.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #112
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Another member of the sovereign citizen movement I guess?
Some peoples beliefs are disconnected from reality.

Someone willingly violates several laws, gets caught, is given a huge break, yet he should do all he can to disrupt the system because paying a fine is unjust??
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #113
willierides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
My standard advice for any ticket, and this is supported by advice given to me by law enforcement acquaintances AND successful outcomes in my own experience, is to show up in court, dress and act respecftully and plead for a lesser charge so as to not affect your insurance, ability to get to work, etc. They will usually compromise in some way, such as reducing the charge to a non-moving violation so you still pay a fine, but you get no points against your license and your insurance is not affected. Win win.

As far as the "zero speed limit" stuff.....at least here in NY.....if you get a break from the officer, they can reinstate the original charge if they so choose. I was pulled over for speeding and given a break when he gave me a ticket for having rubber bands on my rear view mirror (obstructed view). He was very clear that he was cutting me a break but if I contested the ticket he could, and would, revert to the original infraction.

This thread reminds me of a similar "teachable moment" when my son got a second speeding ticket (when he was younger and a new driver) in the exact same spot where he had just recently got his first one. He was mad....at the cops! Ha ha. When he realized that he was mad at THEM for catching HIM twice....even he had to kind of laugh and suck it up. You have to be smart enough to pick your battles and to pick what gambles you're willing to take. If you lose, man up and suck it up. Be honest, respectful and try to get some mercy from the court. They're not stupid, they can see when someone's just trying to get one over on them.

The fact remains that if you think the laws don't apply to you, you're wrong. If it takes several tickets to keep illustrating it until you learn, you learn slowly. If you can't afford the game, don't play.

As John Wayne supposedly said, "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid".
01 CR250 ("DTX"), '72 Bultaco Astro flattrackers
02 RM125 basket case
willierides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #114
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by willierides View Post
My standard advice for any ticket, and this is supported by advice given to me by law enforcement acquaintances AND successful outcomes in my own experience, is to show up in court, dress and act respecftully and plead for a lesser charge so as to not affect your insurance, ability to get to work, etc. They will usually compromise in some way, such as reducing the charge to a non-moving violation so you still pay a fine, but you get no points against your license and your insurance is not affected. Win win.

As far as the "zero speed limit" stuff.....at least here in NY.....if you get a break from the officer, they can reinstate the original charge if they so choose. I was pulled over for speeding and given a break when he gave me a ticket for having rubber bands on my rear view mirror (obstructed view). He was very clear that he was cutting me a break but if I contested the ticket he could, and would, revert to the original infraction.

This thread reminds me of a similar "teachable moment" when my son got a second speeding ticket (when he was younger and a new driver) in the exact same spot where he had just recently got his first one. He was mad....at the cops! Ha ha. When he realized that he was mad at THEM for catching HIM twice....even he had to kind of laugh and suck it up. You have to be smart enough to pick your battles and to pick what gambles you're willing to take. If you lose, man up and suck it up. Be honest, respectful and try to get some mercy from the court. They're not stupid, they can see when someone's just trying to get one over on them.

The fact remains that if you think the laws don't apply to you, you're wrong. If it takes several tickets to keep illustrating it until you learn, you learn slowly. If you can't afford the game, don't play.

As John Wayne supposedly said, "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid".
I didn't get in from the beginning with all of the trolling and name calling and what have you, but this is just plain sound advice. Show up in court, as it's your right and you are paying court costs whether you're there or not. Be polite, dress cleanly, but don't over do it. Remember your place, you're not a bigshot trying to impress, you're a citizen looking for leniency. Don't dispute the deputy as IMO it's their opinion that matters. The judge will ask the deputy what happened, were you cooperative and respectful. They keep notes on their citations. He may not remember you explicitly, but you don't want his notes saying you were an argumentative, defiant prick. If neither the judge nor the deputy suggest driving improvement school, you ask if it's a possibility in lieu of a moving violation citation. If you are polite in court, worst that happens is they say no... pay the original fine and go away. Best case scenario is you get off with taking a bs online driver improvement class which you can find for like $35 and court costs. You'll be in it for $100, with no points, no insurance hit. Count your lucky stars if that's the case and be a little bit more careful when lofting the front wheel.

Don't even get me started with the, 'suck it up and pay' crowd. Morans.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #115
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
I didn't get in from the beginning with all of the trolling and name calling and what have you, but this is just plain sound advice. Show up in court, as it's your right and you are paying court costs whether you're there or not. Be polite, dress cleanly, but don't over do it. Remember your place, you're not a bigshot trying to impress, you're a citizen looking for leniency. Don't dispute the deputy as IMO it's their opinion that matters. The judge will ask the deputy what happened, were you cooperative and respectful. They keep notes on their citations. He may not remember you explicitly, but you don't want his notes saying you were an argumentative, defiant prick. If neither the judge nor the deputy suggest driving improvement school, you ask if it's a possibility in lieu of a moving violation citation. If you are polite in court, worst that happens is they say no... pay the original fine and go away. Best case scenario is you get off with taking a bs online driver improvement class which you can find for like $35 and court costs. You'll be in it for $100, with no points, no insurance hit. Count your lucky stars if that's the case and be a little bit more careful when lofting the front wheel.

Don't even get me started with the, 'suck it up and pay' crowd. Morans.
So you don't understand the trolling and name calling, then you finish with calling people names? ...and just an fyi, when you question someone's intelligence, spelling such a simple word as MORON doesn't give you credibility.

Yes, I am on the 'just pay it' crowd, mostly because my time is worth more to me than any silly traffic ticket fine. Oddly enough, when I was old enough to stop worrying about the financial hit of tickets, I stopped getting them. For me it's about knowing when I can speed and do crazy shit and not have anyone see me...but I'm just a moran, according to you.
wsmc831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #116
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,236
Fun costs money sometimes.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #117
Dusty1013
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
Fun costs money sometimes.
So does stupidity.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #118
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
A traffic ticket is nothing more than the consequence of having inadequate situational awareness.

Treat the disease not the symptom, ride within your ability to perceive your enviroment.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #119
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
If you're broke and looking for work, now's your chance to GTFO of a state that's one of the most expensive to live in. Pick one that has no income tax and where housing costs are half as much.
Not Texas. We have terribly high taxes, the cops are all jerks, and there aren't any jobs. The kid needs to stay where he is.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #120
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
The borderline suicidal comment was immature of me, but at the same time I have been fucked by the law for stupid shit, I would gladly take responsibility had I injured or disturbed anyone but let me tell you what my current tickets are for then tell me again how I need to take responsibilty for my actions.

#1 ($400) 45 in a 35 on main street by my house, had always been under the impression that the main streets around here are all 45mph speed limits You don't know the speed limit in front of your house?

#2 ($200)Wearing only the bottom portion of a seatbelt as a passenger, (it was a old t-bird with the electric seatbelts where the top portion tries to cut your head off if you actully wear it. If the vehicle was defective why diid you choose to ride in it?

#3 ($500) Riding a perfectly controlled wheelie down the street at 15 mph when people fly down that street at 45 all the time.
You're doing wheelies in a busy street where people are flying by at 45 mph all the time and there is a cop watching you do it!

If you think any of that warrents making me feel like a POS that needs to reflect upon myself and my actions you are a NAZI.
There is no was any of this is your fault as you lack the mental capacity to be held responsible for anything.