Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #331
bmwgo
I love moto's

Oddometer: 183
Everyone's a tough guy. Think I'll get in ride while the tough guys tell us how awesome they are. Blow hards.
bmwgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #332
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.' Mike Tyson
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #333
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

There becomes a fine line between adventure and being not that clever about wanting to live.

Throughout this thread the point of "owning ones own responsibilities" has been shoved to the back somewhat, don't get me wrong as we ALL take risks sometimes (note Guateriders post), some pay off some don't, we have been there ourselves.

I hope Harry is alive and well but I can't help but think time is going against him..
+1 on this here, well said Andi....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #334
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Good post finally, and you may not realize it, but the above applies to most developing/third world countries.
Hell that applies to my old neighborhood!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #335
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillet knife View Post
It's about presentation and integrity. Yours isn't so great. Cursing rarely gets ones point across, it's so high school. I can hang out in front of a 7 Eleven and hear that crap.

Fight Club? Ya right.
go f*** yourself.

how many of these newbies have properly introduced themselves in inmates or Joe mama? adve rider isn't a place for people to just sign up and start posting. Its a club. You start out by going to inmates and introducing yourself. You better have a story. And reason for us to either like you or hate you. you should also come to a row way. Weather it's a rally in your local area for 1 of the many special rally's. It also helps if you have an old ad rider reference. if you're unable to provide any of those references or if you can't attend a rally post up a ride report. You're right before can be anything from a trip to Starbucks to a trip around the world. spend some time looking in Joe mama and inmates and the bike specific form of your choosing and ride reports and the forums dedicated to the area in which you're interested.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #336
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Everyone's a tough guy. Think I'll get in ride while the tough guys tell us how awesome they are. Blow hards.
Dude ride down 99 just south of Modesto right off the highway you can see the sign Hunan Palace pop on in and have some Shrimp in Oyster Sauce guaranteed to put a smile on your face!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #337
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post

Most of the several hundred riders I have met , hosted or helped out over the last few decades, they make all the same mistakes :
-They sometimes travel after dark
-They go out and get drunk with people they don't know
-They don't speak the language
-They don't pay attention to the advice of the locals, they trust much more their travel guides and the internet
Hmmm!! That is soo true! I am in Soledad in Colombia for the Carnival. That is the poor part of Barranquilla. It's dirty and litter is practically everywhere. Many strayed dogs and cats starving everywhere. I don't even want to think about how the meat is sold here. The people I am staying with can't even afford toilet paper I helped them bought some and cover other expenses. Anytime I want to go out for walking or to the shopping center, they insist that I do not walk alone!! I kept think I will be fine in daytime but they really insisted having someone walking with me so I humble accept. Clearly they know something that I don't so I had to listen even though I admit I was a bit resist. Now that I just read this advice.. hmm it makes sense and I am glad I listened!!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #338
mopulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Good post finally, and you may not realize it, but the above applies to most developing/third world countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You think so, Sherlock?
Personally, I couldnt give a sht if you find it useful or not.
Guys like you never learn.
Not my problem.
Blurr, dont worry. He did not come up that one himself. He used the fancy copy and paste.

The reply back to you is more like him. A man that believes he is so wise, but behaves the opposite. Agressive; "I know it all attitude and no one knows more than I do"

It reminds me of all of these people that roam around with their BIG jacked up 4x4's with offensive stickers across their back window, loud pipes, fake testicle balls hanging from the hitch. Once you see them come out, you can tell why they have to "overcome." That is what we have here.
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #339
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopulga View Post
Blurr, dont worry. He did not come up that one himself. He used the fancy copy and paste.

The reply back to you is more like him. A man that believes he is so wise, but behaves the opposite. Agressive; "I know it all attitude and no one knows more than I do"

It reminds me of all of these people that roam around with their BIG jacked up 4x4's with offensive stickers across their back window, loud pipes, fake testicle balls hanging from the hitch. Once you see them come out, you can tell why they have to "overcome." That is what we have here.
the first one who claims that the other one has a little dick loses.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #340
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,885
This is contributing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. Hall of Wisdom How To Diagnose Problems. Sticky Latin America Ride Reports. Drowned near San Blas. Crazy Girlfriend Stories. Front Page Photo.
This isn't:

Quote:
It's about presentation and integrity. Yours isn't so great. Cursing rarely gets ones point across, it's so high school. I can hang out in front of a 7 Eleven and hear that crap.

Fight Club? Ya right.
Now stfu.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #341
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,506
Latest from "Find Harry" on FACEBOOK

"I ask you all to keep Harry in your thoughts and prayers and to picture a positive outcome as the resolution of what appears to have been an opportunistic kidnapping gets closer and closer. The following article, printed in the newspaper Excelsior the 21st of February, may provide a significant lead in our search. Harry may or may not be at the ranch mentioned in the article but the fact his motorcyle, distinguishable by its black box saddlebags, has been seen makes the likelihood of finding him in that area more likely. His rescue will require diplomacy and, I believe, a coordinated effort. Those believed to be holding him say they never harm others unless provoked.
- Posted by Harry's mother Ann

Morelia, 21 of February
According to the investigation conducted by Michoacan authorities concerning the disappearance of HARRY DEVERT the American motorcyclist, he did not disappear in Michoacan but in Guerrero.

Excelsior gained access to confidential reports of the two state prosecutors which affirms that the last place the "world traveler" was seen was in Playa Troncones, between Ixtapa, Guerrero and Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacan.

According to the testimony of a subject arrested by police in Zihuatanejo, Harry was detained by members of organized crime at the behest of a subject nicknamed The Hawk and his deputy known as The Tiger, who illegally held him against his will.

According to research by specialized staff of prosecutors of the two states, those who captured Harry Devert belong to a criminal group known as The Warriors which until a few months ago belonged to the Knights Templar and now serve the interests of Jalisco's New Generation cartel.

Investigations were ongoing when earlier this week Bryan Jimenez Mandujano was detained in Zihuatanejo for carrrying a gun prohibited for civilian use and, when questioned by the Public Ministry, confessed to being part of an organized crime cell.

According to government sources, Bryan Jimenez confessed that his boss, a subject identified as Adrian Reyes Cadena, The Tiger, seized the young native New Yorker, believing him to be a member of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA of the United States.)

Until yesterday the whereabouts of the US motorcyclist had not been established because Jimenez Mandujano has not provided many details: the detainee claims not to know the fate of the victim of his criminal
organization but research suggests that he was taken to a ranch called La Palma near Petatlan where his royal eminence , El Tigre, and his criminal group are based.

A rumor unconfirmed by ministerial authorities says Adrian Reyes has been seen aboard the motorcycle owned by the disappeared young man.

Harry Devert of Franco-American origin, left New York at the beginning of January (actually it was December) with just a tent on his motorcycle, heading to Brazil with the intention of attending the World Cup.

The last time he was seen was the 25th of January in the state of Mexico where he had stayed at the home of a friend.
Note: The last place he was seen was at the Diamond Pemex Station in Huetamo, shortly before he stopped for lunch and texted Sarah.)"
http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2014/02/21/944950
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #342
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
the "world traveler" was seen was in Playa Troncones, between Ixtapa, Guerrero and Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacan.

The last time he was seen was the 25th of January in the state of Mexico where he had stayed at the home of a friend.

Note: The last place he was seen was at the Diamond Pemex Station in Huetamo, shortly before he stopped for lunch and texted Sarah.)"
So that's 3 last sightings.

"his royal eminence , El Tigre, and his criminal group"

This wreaks of sensational mexican tabloid BS. Until they find him, I'd be suspicious of a story like that. Dude gets caught with a gun and just starts spinning a story to get himself out of trouble. Says, his "group" took Harry. In reality he's probably just trying to get his rivals in hot water and get their ranch raided and maybe buy some good will from the cops, as an illegal gun charge in mexico is kind of a huge deal. Who knows, could be true though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 12:35 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #343
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Adding to the mix here, I have followed the thread through and posted once from anger.

As current RTW travellers been on the road now for 23 months and ridden through every "dangerous and we are going to die countries" as being discussed here I will add this.

We have had a bloody good look around, more than some less than others, we are wise enough with our world travels (not just this trip) but we do not know everything and do not profess to.

We were in Colombia when the riots were on causing us to change plans, we also came across military firmly advising us not to go further.

My post is quite simple, while I feel for Harry and his family I feel Harry has stepped over than line of "owning ones own responsibilities" by going into a seemingly known hotspot where risks are considerably higher and he is making his family pay for this.

There becomes a fine line between adventure and being not that clever about wanting to live.

Throughout this thread the point of "owning ones own responsibilities" has been shoved to the back somewhat, don't get me wrong as we ALL take risks sometimes (note Guateriders post), some pay off some don't, we have been there ourselves.

I hope Harry is alive and well but I can't help but think time is going against him.

Flame suit on, fire away.
Exactly, there is no way to learn languages and all the dialects in all 193 countries, ridiculous assertion.

Respecting the culture the people, a smile always seems to go a long way.

People who travel enough know how to speak no other languages but understand them all.

The Missionaries I have met have by far been the biggest Jerks with zero respect for the locals. Not surprising they often are those you hear about being kidnapped.

If a local tells you the area you are in is not the best, take their advice, if they are trying to get you into a hotel and help out late at night it is because they know you should not be out on the roads, follow their advice. Most people all over the world are wonderful people and their generosity and charity will blow peoples mind. They are not the concern :(

Do not expect help to come if something happens, hiring hostage rescue is far beyond the capabilities of most people. I know a family who spent over 30k to get their daughter and it failed. That was 20 years ago.

American Embassies are not everywhere like in the movies and they do not welcome you with open arms and a smile.
Your Government has better things to worry about so do not expect their help.

Keep a couple photo copies of a passport in separate places as well one at home.

Nothing you own is worth your life, if you think you are Chuck Norris you find out real quick when your own your knees facing a half dozen Kalashnikovs pointed at your melon how bad ass you really are not.

With that said there certainly is a time to fight back. When to do that is something each person has to judge for themselves. Do not expect it to end up all hollywood, you probably will not make it, you will merely die fighting so make sure that is in your mind before you go kung Fu and a last resort.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #344
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Question The latest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
"I ask you all to keep Harry in your thoughts and prayers and to picture a positive outcome as the resolution of what appears to have been an opportunistic kidnapping gets closer and closer. The following article, printed in the newspaper Excelsior the 21st of February, may provide a significant lead in our search. Harry may or may not be at the ranch mentioned in the article but the fact his motorcyle, distinguishable by its black box saddlebags, has been seen makes the likelihood of finding him in that area more likely. His rescue will require diplomacy and, I believe, a coordinated effort. Those believed to be holding him say they never harm others unless provoked.
- Posted by Harry's mother Ann

Morelia, 21 of February
According to the investigation conducted by Michoacan authorities concerning the disappearance of HARRY DEVERT the American motorcyclist, he did not disappear in Michoacan but in Guerrero.

Excelsior gained access to confidential reports of the two state prosecutors which affirms that the last place the "world traveler" was seen was in Playa Troncones, between Ixtapa, Guerrero and Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacan.

According to the testimony of a subject arrested by police in Zihuatanejo, Harry was detained by members of organized crime at the behest of a subject nicknamed The Hawk and his deputy known as The Tiger, who illegally held him against his will.

According to research by specialized staff of prosecutors of the two states, those who captured Harry Devert belong to a criminal group known as The Warriors which until a few months ago belonged to the Knights Templar and now serve the interests of Jalisco's New Generation cartel.

Investigations were ongoing when earlier this week Bryan Jimenez Mandujano was detained in Zihuatanejo for carrrying a gun prohibited for civilian use and, when questioned by the Public Ministry, confessed to being part of an organized crime cell.

According to government sources, Bryan Jimenez confessed that his boss, a subject identified as Adrian Reyes Cadena, The Tiger, seized the young native New Yorker, believing him to be a member of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA of the United States.)

Until yesterday the whereabouts of the US motorcyclist had not been established because Jimenez Mandujano has not provided many details: the detainee claims not to know the fate of the victim of his criminal
organization but research suggests that he was taken to a ranch called La Palma near Petatlan where his royal eminence , El Tigre, and his criminal group are based.

A rumor unconfirmed by ministerial authorities says Adrian Reyes has been seen aboard the motorcycle owned by the disappeared young man.

Harry Devert of Franco-American origin, left New York at the beginning of January (actually it was December) with just a tent on his motorcycle, heading to Brazil with the intention of attending the World Cup.

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2014/02/21/944950

Well if this is "the latest" , then it seems they don't know much either . The same article was posted already on this thread yesterday #303...

All this interviews and PR work must take a lot of time away from real search efforts like suggested by SR some time ago
Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #345
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Exactly, there is no way to learn languages and all the dialects in all 193 countries, ridiculous assertion.

Do not expect help to come if something happens, hiring hostage rescue is far beyond the capabilities of most people. I know a family who spent over 30k to get their daughter and it failed. That was 20 years ago.
You are just a never drying well when it comes to great advice

If you travel in a subcontinent whit only one language spoken in all the countries (except Brazil) , learning this language is common sense and not a ridiculous assertion .
But of course with the time you spend posting (according to your profile 8.51 posts a day !!) you have not much time left to listen and to learn .

And nobody was talking about hostage rescue but hostage negotiators ...even if so far nobody knows if there is even a hostage out there