Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #346
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Cut out the personal attacks guys. Take it to PM and keep your noise
off this thread.

Please.

And keep praying for Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #347
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Bananaman, they've got us beat! They've played the "Miss Manners" card. Damn.

Can you imagine this crew in a cantina?
A la chingada con modales ja,ja,ja!

Look forward to seeing you when you come through next.
First round is on me unless you speak groserias y cochinadas.
In which case the second one is, too.

It's not manners, moron, it's that you guys feel this huge need to berate and browbeat everyone who doesn't blow your horn, too. We've all seen old bitter types like you before ad it gets tiresome. Get a life, already, sheesh.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #348
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Well if this is "the latest" , then it seems they don't know much either . The same article was posted already on this thread yesterday #303...

All this interviews and PR work must take a lot of time away from real search efforts like suggested by SR some time ago
I didn't see #303. In any event, Harry's mother responded to it which she and his friends at mission control don't do very often. That leads me to believe her collaborative information lends credence to it.

It is pretty presumptous of you to make your last statement. You, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what she and her staff of volunteers are doing. Carry on!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #349
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
adve rider isn't a place for people to just sign up and start posting. Its a club. You start out by going to inmates and introducing yourself. You better have a story.
I didn't know I needed a secret handshake to use this forum.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #350
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Well if this is "the latest" , then it seems they don't know much either . The same article was posted already on this thread yesterday #303...
When I talked to Harry's family over a week ago now, they were aware of (and related to me) reports of somebody seeing someone other than Harry riding his bike, and the story that he was kidnapped after being mistaken for a DEA agent. That was over a week ago now, so I'd hardly say it's news.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #351
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I didn't know I needed a secret handshake to use this forum.
Greatest Internet forum myth: seniority on the forum actually means something.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #352
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I didn't see #303. In any event, Harry's mother responded to it which she and his friends at mission control don't do very often. That leads me to believe her collaborative information lends credence to it.

It is pretty presumptous of you to make your last statement. You, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what she and her staff of volunteers are doing. Carry on!

Mexican authorities mentioned already 10 days ago a witness who claimed to have seen Harry in Zihuatenejo ; this article also was posted already twice on this thread before
http://www.vozdemichoacan.com.mx/har...an-procurador/

You are right , I don't know what Harrys mother and friends are doing , all I know is what I see on TV and the papers/magazines .
And I also know how kidnapping situations are handled down here .
Old 02-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #353
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
It's not manners, moron, it's that you guys feel this huge need to berate and browbeat everyone who doesn't blow your horn, too. We've all seen old bitter types like you before ad it gets tiresome. Get a life, already, sheesh.
Manners?
It's an ADV motorcycle forum.
Get over yourself and your inflated ego, and sense of being some kind of internet cop that can tell people how to express themselves.
Get a clue, maybe in the land of rainbows and kind little garden gnomes where you reside (at least in your head) people don't understand things like FYYFF.

FYYFF.
Learn it, live it. Are you going to peel those off of people's bikes, too?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #354
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:

All this interviews and PR work must take a lot of time away from real search efforts like suggested by SR some time ago
what a bunch of asses would be an inappropriate statement since it is only a few of you. you know it really sucks that i missed that post the first time. (thanks for pointing that out GuateRider) All the bs in this thread is unbelievable. yes. unsubscribe will be my friend. well wishes to harry and kind thoughts to his family and friends.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #355
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
Greatest Internet forum myth: seniority on the forum actually means something.
Advrider is a loose association of motorcycle riders who enjoy adventure, and the forum is part of it. It's not the other way around. Other than the Mods, none of us have seniority. Rather, we're all just FF's in the asylum. We all know each other in real life, or we know the same people in real life.

There's another forum, more hard core, called Horizons Unlimited. Whole advrider is largely American, The HUBB is international and serious. I've met riders who post on both forums.

Until we actually meet, or until you meet a respected rider, we won't know if you're real, or a troll.

We can argue! And occasionally hate each others' guts. And then have a beer.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #356
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Mexican authorities mentioned already 10 days ago a witness who claimed to have seen Harry in Zihuatenejo ; this article also was posted already twice on this thread before
http://www.vozdemichoacan.com.mx/har...an-procurador/

You are right , I don't know what Harrys mother and friends are doing , all I know is what I see on TV and the papers/magazines .
And I also know how kidnapping situations are handled down here .
They did mention on FB that they were in personal contact with people in the area. It only seems reasonable to me that they have a professional on site working for them. I would hardly expect them to relay everything they are doing on their FB site.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #357
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Advrider is a loose association of motorcycle riders who enjoy adventure, and the forum is part of it. It's not the other way around. Other than the Mods, none of us have seniority. Rather, we're all just FF's in the asylum. We all know each other in real life, or we know the same people in real life.

There's another forum, more hard core, called Horizons Unlimited. Whole advrider is largely American, The HUBB is international and serious. I've met riders who post on both forums.

Until we actually meet, or until you meet a respected rider, we won't know if you're real, or a troll.

We can argue! And occasionally hate each others' guts. And then have a beer.

. We in fact do not all know each other.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #358
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 235
Chill out and go for a ride. The weather is great in the area where Harry went missing and there's plenty of riders to hook up with. Just look for Japanese off-road motos (mainly Suzuki's and Honda's) and the tequlliadezert.com decals. There's also a large contingent of Mexico City riders on big BMWs that you see traveling in large groups especially on weekends and holidays. They never seem to mind a poor gringo tagging along.
If it makes you feel better carry a SPOT, PLB, mace and a gun. Carrying a non-military weapon in Mexico is only a $1,000 US fine. (just google it. plenty of ref: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...61725948,d.aWc ) Just make sure you don't get caught if you have to use it.
I really liked Kiko's quote of Mike Tyson. Lucky for me the locals I ride with are bigger than Mike and even though I have 30 years of LEO experience I wouldn't want to tangle with these gentle Mexican giants.
With that being said I'm headed out for a night ride from PV to Guadalajara on dirt this evening. Most of the ride will be solo but I'll hook up with a couple of amigos for part of the trip. No phone, camera, DL, passport or visa. Law enforcement here is very chill compared to the US. They don't want to tread on anyone's recreation or sport so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's tranquility. Sometimes it's nice to just chill out and enjoy the country. The night sky in rural Mexico is unreal. Really hope I don't freeze to death. I wonder how many nights John Downs is looking at the same sky laying next to his little $1000 Sherpa that most of us would consider "too worn out to ride" just like a cheap reliable old prostitute. Sometimes the old cheap ones get you there quicker than the young expensive ones.
Hate having no official word about Harry. The rumors are pretty wild like others have said but we should hope for the best.
Seems like many on this forum read and believed "God's Middle Finger"!
I don't think tricepilot has weighed in here. He's probably too smart for that or he's out riding the roads where Harry disappeared!
Time to go play in the dirt...
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #359
OverlandRider33
n00b

Oddometer: 9
It isn't like we aren't afraid to travel, but there are different approaches to risk. I remember when backpacking through some hostels in Central America and meeting with some missionaries who got back from visiting slums. I found them to be completely fearless and not worried in anything going wrong because they put their faith in God and doing God's work.

I like to take a more pragmatic approach, by reading up about each place, learning its history / culture, talking with people who went there, reading online etc... and then deep diving into the place I visit. For example, I've always been fascinated by the Mayan culture, and hence have visited most of the Mayan ruins throughout the Yucatan, Guatemala, Honduras areas. To get through the more remote areas, I relied on the hospitality of others and local contacts who I could trust, and I was lucky enough to see a slice of their life, from attending a wedding, seeing what it is like in small towns, villages, lakes, mountains, volcanos, wild-life and awesome ruins. At the same time, I didn't limit myself to tourist areas, but I also explored the urban areas, because I believe life shouldn't be sugar coated = you have to take the good with the bad.

The reason why people don't listen to locals is because travelers have often heard it all before too. I try to not wander around after dark, but my curiosity gets ahold of me and I explore more than most people think are prudent. Sure, I would like to have a place to sleep and reserved before entering a town, but often times there are unexpected delays and I have to travel at night and then go around to different places when some places are booked out. To tell folks who have travelled thousands of miles that they should huddle scared in the rooms usually means they will often do the opposite.

I also used to think that Harry was asking for it, but that is the bias most of us want to believe because when bad things happen to others, it is much more reassuring to blame the victim. But from all the facts, he seems to have been a pretty prudent, an experienced traveller, who knew the language, and trekked thousands of miles by bike (I'm surprised he got so far without wiping out). The roads were nothing crazy, and it seems he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, which happens to lots of travelers and it can happen to any of us.

When planning trips, I'm used to being completely paranoid about everything and to err on the side of things going wrong because then I can enjoy the actual trip more (and the riding experience). Since I prefer to travel alone, my planning has to be much better than group riders who can afford to make mistakes since they have extra protection. I've met others who don't bother to plan, and who just muddle through things, and while I admire their gumption (99% of people who plan to do crazy trips never even end up going anywhere), I think you can have a smart balance of paranoid planning (to cover the main areas) + some risk taking to explore cool areas in countries and to meet other cool / local people.

I also try to look into hard stats / data, as much as possible. Everyone listens to the news and they remember the most sensationalist things, and then when nothing happens, they believe the news always lies. However, I see news reports as an additional data point, in addition to local info, and my knowledge of culture. It isn't 1000s of riders, but millions of people continue to live their lives and on motorbikes (locals, expats etc...) in these places without any problems, as I see trucks, cars, small mopeds etc... crowding the streets and roads of everywhere I go, and they aren't riding for the fun of it (like we are) but because that is what they do for a living.

The worrisome thing about this whole mess is that it points to historical trends. Basically as food prices / inflation has increased, places that were stable have become unstable and as a result crime naturally increases. The recent take down of Guzman means there will likely be a turf war among other cartels to fill the power vacuum, and areas that were under his control might soon be challenged. That means areas which were dangerous a few years ago, and then became safe, might soon become war zones again. As the hierarchies of these cartels get reshuffled / splintered, locals are being targeted and travelers. (The new guys don't care about the old codes of not targeting civilians, but prefer to establish a name for themselves by being extra ruthless). To ignore such realities = is to be like those missionaries. (However, I believe ADV riders are more like the missionaries than most, since we have to be crazy enough to ride our bikes to such places, rather than staying home and watching TV).

OverlandRider33 screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 01:37 PM
OverlandRider33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #360
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandRider33 View Post
we have to be crazy enough to ride our bikes to such places, rather than staying home and watching TV).
Going on a ride is easy. Try living there for a few years.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote