Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #361
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Pretty nice area. Too bad it is a bit hot for me to ride now. Not too mention that Michoacan and Guerrero are really inconveniently positioned for what my original ride plan was. I realize that I could stay on the main roads and probably ride through no problem. I also realize that statistically I could ride the back roads and the odds are still in my favor.

But my risk assessment tells me I will avoid the area entirely. I am one of the ignorant Gringo's that other Gringos have been bashing on in this thread and I know it.

I certainly hope that Harry Devert is alright. I know he may have been riding in a hot area. And I am a realist about people and the world in general. Yet I still lament that there are places in this world, regardless of geographic locale, that so much caution must be used by a simple traveller.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #362
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
We call Michoacan 'el Alma de Mexico', the soul of Mexico, a very special place.

If you stay in the major tourist cities North of Uruapan then you are fairly safe. A gringo off road solo, you are not safe.

I still travel there monthly but I would not recommend it for a tourist.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #363
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
We call Michoacan 'el Alma de Mexico', the soul of Mexico, a very special place.

If you stay in the major tourist cities North of Uruapan then you are fairly safe. A gringo off road solo, you are not safe.

I still travel there monthly but I would not recommend it for a tourist.
I will be alone for a good portion of my trip after I leave a partner. My original plan was to work my way below Mexico city, head west to the coast and circle back around down the coast/ a bit inland. Now I know that will put me right in the heart of to areas that are best to avoid.

Now it looks like I will go down to the coast below Oaxaca and make my way out the Yucatan before crossing into Belize. Oh' well the wind blows, and I follow.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #364
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
You could take the Cuota 15 across Michoacan East to West or Old 15, the Mil Cumbres road. Mil Cumbres is a great road between Ciudad Hidalgo and Morelia. Just stay out of the tierra caliente South of Uruapan and don't go off road.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #365
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Here are some photos I took a few years back on some off road trips in the area where Harry may have disappeared, South of Mil Cumbres and West of Zitaucuaro, Michoacan. I don't claim to be Ansel Adams, as a matter of fact I seldom take photos,
Just a bump for the thread,

Nice pics amigo. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #366
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
IMO if they haven't already done so, the family should contact a professional security firm that deals in kidnap situations in Latin America. These consultants will know who to contact and who not to contact. They will prepare the family for any ransom phone calls they may receive and how to deal with the transaction of getting Harry back if they do get a call. They do this every day and will give the family a realistic professional opinion of what to expect. Which is worth a lot more than all the amateur speculation in the world. If someone close to the family wants to PM me I will send a recommendation to a firm out of Miami that I have used in the past.

Granted, we don't know what the situation is and may never. But a lot of times drawing public attention to the situation is actually counterproductive. In Mexico (anywhere in the world) kidnappings are generally kept quiet for a lot of different reasons.

Good luck Harry!
This is the best post on this thread--the rest is just useless speculation and scolding by self-appointed chatroom "wise-men."
Evaluate posters by deciding if their words are positive or negative.
We all hope our brother rider is found safe. But one thing is very likely, when we eventually find out what happened, none of it will make sense.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #367
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,967
Thanks SV
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #368
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
This is the best post on this thread--the rest is just useless speculation and scolding by self-appointed chatroom "wise-men."
Evaluate posters by deciding if their words are positive or negative.
We all hope our brother rider is found safe. But one thing is very likely, when we eventually find out what happened, none of it will make sense.
+1
SR is a class act. Always has good advice delivered in a respectful and good humoured manner whether in a post or PM.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #369
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
It would be nice if this thread could exist without all the drama. A few of you seem intent on ruining it for the rest. Let me be very clear, I don't care how much "experience" you have riding or living in Mexico, if you're not going to be respectful to other members you'll be getting a vacation. No more warnings.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #370
Raconnol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I really hope every works out for Harry and his family.
And yes we all do what we need to do to bring our love ones home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...31e_story.html

Raconnol screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 06:16 PM
Raconnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #371
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Presumably we are all linked by a common passion--adventure motorcycling. And sharing information that helps each other is one of the greatest things about advrider. Respectful rational debate that opens our minds is a significant benefit to participating in a forum with like-minded FFs.

But be suspicious of those who roam from website to website, and thread to thread, writing lengthy arguments laced with imaginary credentials and demanding that everyone listen to them or they are idiots. Insisting that we all consult them as the only experts, they like to insult those who disagree or challenge their "infinite wisdom."

It's not necessary to call names or belittle others just because their opinion differs. If I have offended anyone, please accept my apology. Let's all remain positive and hope for the best.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #372
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
Okay, I've tried doing this the nice way and some of you insist on being problematic so from here on out I'll be handing out vacations, and they won't be short, no more warnings. If you have something constructive to add feel free to share, if you're here to demean others and be disruptive you'll be gone, that's a promise.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #373
jimmycorp
adventure lurker

Oddometer: 179
Hopefully this ends well for Harry & his family. Thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my POS phone.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #374
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
The silence is deafening; prayers for the missing rider.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #375
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 201
Yip............sure hope Harry is all right.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote