Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #391
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
Is no news no news?
March 8th on Help Find Harry Facebook Page:

As so many of you around the world know, Tomorrow is Harry's Birthday, He has been heavy on my mind these last few days as we continue to search for him in Mexico. I ask each and every one of you to do a few things…….First, say a prayer tonight that we find Harry, second, Harry IS a loving and giving person who loved people, this world and his goals in life is always to pay it forward……for Harrys Birthday, lets each pay it forward, for Harry.
the below is a message from a very close friend of Harrys, she sent this today to me, she hurts so much, misses her brother so much…..as we all do.

I am sitting here feeling a bit nostalgic, I wanna ask everyone to make a toast toHarry at Midnight tonight, for his Birthday, I also wanted to take this time to thank everyone, those who sent notes, good thoughts, gave there time, from all over the world trying to find Harry(and we will!!) for we will find our missing brother!!! Heres to Harry, Happy Birthday my Brother…..
We all love you Harry, and we all can not wait for your to come home…..safe and sound……

please help us find Harry, continue to send us your messages, ideas, thoughts, prayers and PLEASE SPEAK UP, to the good people of Mexico,……help us find Harry…..

WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #392
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Any news? A quick Googling didn't reveal much, seems to have dropped out of the spotlight. Any new ideas or directions?

MV
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #393
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
No news

Hi Hesaid, I'm connected with the family on Facebook and still no new news. I feel for the family so much.
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #394
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Help Find Harry
Update made yesterday by Ann, Harry's mom: Dear Friends, Today is the 50th day since Harry disappeared. I want to thank you for continuing to check on Harry's facebook page and here on the Help Find Harry page. This past week I listened in to a conference held at the US Embassy in Mexico City at which the Vice Consul of the French Embassy, the Director of American Citizen Services at the American Embassy, the FBI point person and our Private Investigator were present. I also received a report from the Private Investigator following his meeting with the coordinator of the investigation by the Mexican Government. Every single person at Thursday's and Friday's meetings agreed that it is critical to get the Procuraduría General de la República (PGR) of Mexico committed to Harry's case. This is the equivalent of the United States Attorney General's office. The Procuraduría has vital contacts which, if mobilized, will enable the investigation to take a quantum leap forward. They are aware of Harry but Harry's case is one of many in a huge case load and it is no longer new news. They have left information gathering about Harry to state governments and the state governments have tossed responsibility for the investigation around like a frisbee since there have been reports (some of which surely were fabricated) of Harry in three states. We can, with your help, get the PGR to put the forces in motion which will bring us news of Harry. Our NY State Senators Gillibrand and Schumer and Congressman Eliot Engel have been helping but they need new numbers to make this happen. If we again write our Senators and our Congressmen and also Senator Robert Menendez, the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and ask them to put pressure on the Mexican Government's PGR to commit to Finding Harry, this can happen. I will, with help, draft letters which you can send to the appropriate people in the appropriate places to make this happen. I should have them posted here within a day, two days at the most. Let me stress that the reason the State Department is working with us is because of your interest and support since Harry first went missing. You can see the numbers on the Help FindHarry facebook page. What you can't see is that there have been close to 600,000 hits on the US Embassy facebook page and twitter feed links to Harry. I wish it had not taken so long to figure out what the appropriate next steps are. I thank you for your patience and continued interest. Harry loves the warm weather. Spring arrives this week. This is the perfect time to find him. Please let us know you'll help. And in the meantime, LIVE YOUR LIFE! And may you love the life you live. All good wishes to you and those you love. From Ann Devert
Posted today.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #395
whyknotboats
CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer: 510
Finding Harry

Ann, your posts are so kind and inspirational. As for the cooperation of the Mexican Government, not so much. The fact they have so much on there "Plate", is their own fault. They should realize, the "appetizer" sets the stage for what is to follow! By finding "Harry", they could improve the overall outlook for tourism throughout all of Mexico! Having made 7 lengthy riding trips throughout Mexico over a 10 year span and another planned in October, I must say that reading this report, finding one of own missing and seeing the "Mexican Minute" turning into Month's, is troublesome. I once again admire your "courage" and will pray for Harry "Safe" return. :) Thanks again Ann,

Captain Ken, Mpls
whyknotboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #396
Solohobo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
It is tough to see something like this unfold, and I am sorry to hear about this good souls encounter with issues in Mexico.

Not to take away anything from the missing motorcyclist, but, one must always weight the risk and issues in developing countries, Central America, and issues that create headaches for loved ones.

The police and investigators are no where nearly as good, or trained, as back home in the modern western world. Justice is not common nor to be expected. Courts, Tribunals, Judges, Police, may all be well for that particular country, with the intention to assist, arrest, convict a criminal, but in reality, its not going to happen.

In some ways, its like the medical offerings in the same places, you basically have clinics, that dont have MRI, Cat Scans or western trained doctors, and access to the latest and greatest procedures, unless you are in the capital or a major city, otherwise, you are hours from a good DR and good medical care, you might even have to take a taxi for hours to a hospital in these parts.

So, you have two risk that need to be acknowledged, one, police and justice hardly exist in these parts, and medical/emergency support can be non existent or lacking on many levels.

Both these factors, can mean your life. 99% of tourist and travelers have a fine time in these parts and no issues, but when shit does hit the fan, dont expect anything to be normal, as good, or as professional, as back home.

People forget this. If you look at the very popular country Costa Rica, and examine the deaths of foreigners, there are three types.

1- Accident, usually a bad car accident, drowning in rip tides in the ocean, and drug overdose. Many of these deaths could of been saved, but there are no emergency, rescue or medical personnel to get the job done.

2- Murder, which is actually not uncommon, they rarely solved, the perps rarely are arrested and convicted, and it usually involves money disputes, landowner disputes, employees, flaunting of wealth resulting in home invasions or car jackings. Criminal elements see gringos as naive and easy to threaten, period.

3- Drugs, cheap, easy to access, and all the wrong types you should be associating with, and its not narco traffickers and gangs, its small time dealers and thugs.

Nightime is the other common denominator for tourist/foreigners getting into trouble, partying, driving, walking, its not a good time to be out n about in areas you dont know the ropes, and what to avoid.

My prayers are with this gents family and friends, and I hope he is okay and comes home. But the reality is, it aint Kansas.
Adventure Travel to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, China, Honk Kong, Macau, France, Italy, EU, Morocco, Turkey, USA National Parks, camping, fishing, hiking, surfing, scuba diving, trekking, river rafting, new cultures, new cuisine, new languages.
Solohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #397
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
Hoping for some good news on this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #398
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Maybe some bad news...

Rumors of kidnapping by Cartel leader "El Tigre"?
http://bedford.dailyvoice.com/news/n...ter-man-mexico
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #399
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
Maybe some bad news...

Rumors of kidnapping by Cartel leader "El Tigre"?
http://bedford.dailyvoice.com/news/n...ter-man-mexico
If true--absolutely horrible news.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #400
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,063
So his mom is down there looking for him. And she used to live there.

Are cartel hits on foreign tourists about as likely as a shark attack?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #401
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
So his mom is down there looking for him. And she used to live there.

Are cartel hits on foreign tourists about as likely as a shark attack?
No, they are less likely than a shark attack and certainly less likely than getting hit by lightening in Florida.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #402
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
If true--absolutely horrible news.
OTH, it could be worse.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #403
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Any new news?
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #404
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
No, they are less likely than a shark attack and certainly less likely than getting hit by lightening in Florida.
Tampa, FL has the highest incidence of Lightening strikes/activity in the USA

I'm guessing there's still no news on this???
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #405
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
It's a long shot...but I'm occasionally going through the Mexican Craigslist (and other Mexican auto- and bike-selling sites) looking for a green (or "custom painted") KLR. I noticed in a photo earlier in the thread that there's a sticker on the right front fork leg. There's also the low front fender. I'm guessing the hard bags have racks. Anyone else have additional photos or info on the KLR?

Like I said, it's a long shot. But that might be all we have at this point.