Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #31
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,878
Suddenly things like flat tires and mechanical trouble, border crossings and shipping... just don't matter.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
TeeVee OP
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 764
got me wondering this morning about adding a hidden gps tracker (not spot) to my bike for the trip that keeps getting postponed. yeah, it's a bit paranoid and won't stop anyone from doing anything to me, but at least folks will be able to find me, or the bike anyway.

pray it's just a money thing and he is released sooner rather than later.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #33
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,867
Wow, that interview was hard to watch. I'm remaining hopeful this guys shows up.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #34
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Hoping for the best of outcomes.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #35
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The kidnapping part is factual.
However, it won't be Zetas in that part of Mexico.
It also is definitely not the case that kidnappings are neccesarily cartel related, ther are dozens of independent groups that carry out daily kidnappings in Mexico.
It seems to me that the demise of La Familia and rise of Caballeros Templarios has resulted in an increase of general lawlessness in some remote areas of Michoacan. It would surprise me somewhat to learn that Los Templarios had kidnapped an American. But with increased instability who can say.

Keep praying for Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #36
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,910
Harry Devert

American adventurer missing in Mexico

the title caught my eye.
Sure enough, he is on a motorcycle.

I just saw this on CNN.COM and thought I should post this up here. I thought he would be a member here or at least someone on the road has passed him or heard about him on their own travels and can help locate him.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #37
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Saw the same story on CNN. Thought much the same. Found this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=Harry+Devert Hope for some good news about Harry soon.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #38
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,415
Now on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #39
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 856
Hoping he's safe.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #40
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 518
Came across the story last night on CNN.
Hoping for the best.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #41
gatogato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #42
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 506
I pray for his safety.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #43
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
Note to self: skip advice from people who live in Iowa when it comes to Mexico.

Point 1 is a toss up.

Point 2 is the only intelligent thing you posted.

Point 3 doesn't make any difference. Nada.

Point 4 you are talking out your ass and not from any first hand current experience.

Point 5 see point 4.

Stick to telling people how to grow or eat corn.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #44
Veltkamp
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I was on the road he most likely took this past October (I'm in Santiago, Chile, now). It wasn't the best maintained and I would dare to say pretty sketchy. It basically was very curvy and went up and down into the mountains with a number of areas that landslides have taken a chunk of the road. There is very, very little traffic on it except for people going to and from the few local villages on it. There aren't many (if any) side roads off of it and some villages basically use 4-wheelers for their transportation. His motorcycle is pretty unique and I can guarantee if someone saw it, they would know it wasn't from around there.

If he missed a turn, or went off the road, he could have gone a long, long way down and no one would have known the better. I would hold off before jumping to the conclusion that he was kidnapped.

Btw. The amount of money that it costs to make this trip, the cost of a GPS tracker is in the background noise. There should be a push to make it part of your equipment (like a helmet). Especially, when one is riding alone.
Veltkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #45
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,953
I won't be returning to Mexico without a Spot tracker. This has been weighing on me for some time now and I must admit that this episode with Harry, which we all pray ends well, has pushed me the remaining distance to making this decision. I hope more of us will do the same. Our families don't need to go through what the Deverts are going through. God bless them.

Keep praying for Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote