Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #46
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
Wow....hopefully, this is a RANT attack and way for you to vent as we are all wishing/praying for Harry's safe return.

There are so many speculations that we can make as to what, why and when. However, this incident does not blanket traveling to Mexico and or Central America as being 100% dangerous. This is an isolated incident. I agree that ones level of awareness along with precautions should be heightened however, that's the rule of thumb regardless! Traveling anywhere such as this should not be taken lightly. Traveling with a tracking device, low key appearance to include attitude is and should be a must... I agree with you totally . I was hoping that was the case and it was a matter of tracking his device but that is not the case.

We have no clue what took place before, during and after. So maybe we should just leave our opinions and thoughts on what we don't know and keep positive thoughts for his safe return. I'm convinced there is more to this than we know.

Take a read here about a lady gone missing found 11 years later in Key West. Just an example of ...you just never know. By NO means..Am I saying, implying or even hinting to this being the case with Harry

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/0...-presumed.html
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #47
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I won't be returning to Mexico without a Spot tracker. This has been weighing on me for some time now and I must admit that this episode with Harry, which we all pray ends well, has pushed me the remaining distance to making this decision. I hope more of us will do the same. Our families don't need to go through what the Deverts are going through. God bless them.

Keep praying for Harry.

SchizzMan:

I am surprised as to how many of you veterans and or frequent visitors to Mexico/CA DO NOT have a Spot tracker!! You along with others share a lot of great information on traveling Mexico and being safe.

(No offense here but time for some ass kicking!) it's not just about YOU! It's for your loved ones. Go and get the damn thing already!!
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #48
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Not easy to find and purchase here, that's the main issue.
A lot of boaters use them and buy them in Miami.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #49
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

Might as well just stay home...

I just got back from a month in Mexico and this makes me want to be even more thankful that my time there went smoothly. I hope he is found safe and can return home or finish his trip as he sees fit.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #50
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
........... it's not just about YOU! It's for your loved ones. Go and get the damn thing already!!
Fck Spot and the insecurity he rides in on.

I truly hope this rider is OK.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #51
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
I bought a Spot Tracker when they first came out. Had to buy it at a Boat supply store and they didn't know much. I've used it in Mexico and everyplace else I go. Makes my wife more comfortable and that's important to me.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #52
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,479
here's hoping and asking for Harry's safe return well being.

from the FB page,

oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #53
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:

This story just reminded me when you went missing!

Regarding your comment on Central America

Let's hope we can find Harry in good health!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #54
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,696
Link found in JM was lifted from Trip Planning.
Looks like Harry is in a coma.

http://revoluciontrespuntocero.com/p...-de-michoacan/
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #55
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Check again. I think they already determined that is not him.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #56
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Link found in JM was lifted from Trip Planning.
Looks like Harry is in a coma.

http://revoluciontrespuntocero.com/p...-de-michoacan/
Harry's family made a public statement that this man is not Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #57
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Harry's family made a public statement that this man is not Harry.

OK. But it sure looks like him and the article said the tats look the part.

I hope it is not him.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #58
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
OK. But it sure looks like him and the article said the tats look the part.

I hope it is not him.
That Man is some mothers son so hope and pray for him too
stormdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #59
philipbarrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Cross posted from another thread.

Read the CNN article;

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

"So tomorrow I'm going to go to the DMV, get my motorcycle permit, buy a bike and hopefully figure out how to ride it home without crashing."

"...spent hours studying YouTube videos on how to survive falls from bikes"

And there's a lot more references to a decidedly risky lifestyle, hey not judging but why is everyone so sure the poor soul's not just in a ditch somewhere?
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #60
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post

And there's a lot more references to a decidedly risky lifestyle, hey not judging but why is everyone so sure the poor soul's not just in a ditch somewhere?
Yes, that was actually my thought too. My parents lived in Mexico DF for 20 years, I've logged ~4K of riding in Mexico with no problems.

I really, really hope he's okay….

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote