Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #61
philipbarrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Yes, that was actually my thought too. My parents lived in Mexico DF for 20 years, I've logged ~4K of riding in Mexico with no problems.

I really, really hope he's okay….
Waiting for Tricepilot to jump in here.

I really hope he's OK too, just a lot of assuming going on here.
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #62
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

It is really difficult to put so much stupidity and insults in so few words

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
We have no clue what took place before, during and after. I'm convinced there is more to this than we know.

Let's hope and pray for a good ending
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #63
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
Still winning friends and influencing people eh, your input elastic as usual and not a worth a fucken cent towards this incident.

People like you make BS not even worthy of the toilet.

Nothing wrong with central America at all, biggest problem is wankers like you needlessly tarnishing at every chance

As RTW travellers who traveled Central America without issue we wish whole heartedly a good outcome.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #64
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
Check again. I think they already determined that is not him.
dc
I'm not sure why that news outlet reported that the guy in the hospital is Harry:

Harry's tattoos:

Description of hospital guy's tattoos;

La descripción del desconocido coincide, al menos en los tatuajes, con la de Harry Devert: ... tiene dos tatuajes, uno en el brazo izquierdo parecido a un corazón y otro en la mano izquierda al parecer las letras mayúsculas MA”.

The only thing they have in common is that they have tattoos which are not even similar or on the same parts of their body. Pretty irresponsible of the Mexican media to be reporting so definitively that it's him.

Having spent the last few years living on Michoacan's doorstep (moved back to the states a few months ago though), I've heard every story concerning how dangerous Michoacan can be (usually first or second hand stories from my Mexican friends, not ADV ego-boosting tales), but to me the likelier event here is a novice rider exceeding his abilities and maybe getting stuck travelling a twisty remote section of road after dark. Plenty of possibilities, so assuming it must be a kidnapping or other foul play right off the bat is jumping to conclusions.

To Harry's family, I'd have the following advice: In my personal experience in foreign countries, I've found US embassy personnel to be woefully incompetent when it comes to navigating local law enforcement and emergency services, particularly outside the capital city where they live. I've found embassy personnel to be more ignorant of "conditions on the ground" than even most casual tourists, let alone seasoned travellers, as often they're prohibited from leaving major metropolitan areas and travelling by highway due to restrictions imposed by the State Dept in "dangerous" countries. If it were my family member missing, I surely would have the embassy do whatever they can, but I definitely would not rely solely on their "expertise." All that said, I've never had any experiences (good or bad) with the US embassy personnel in Mexico, so can't comment on their competence specifically.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 11:22 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #65
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,459
Jeff (aka Gato Gato) did an absolutely fucking epic ride to Ushuaia the same time I did. He was also missing between Panama and Colombia for about a month, presumed dead or kidnapped.

So what if he lives in Iowa. He knows his shit.

as for Spot, I had one and it didn't work for shit. It worked 100% from Wisconsin to Veracruz, and then it worked less than 50% of the time from Veracruz to Ushuaia. It was so randomly unreliable that I stopped using it for anything other than entertainment, i.e.: to show people what kind of bullshit you can buy at REI.

Spot is good for lying to your family so that they don't worry about you.

When Harry shows up we'll get to learn more about what happened.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #66
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Jeff (aka Gato Gato) did an absolutely fucking epic ride to Ushuaia the same time I did. He was also missing between Panama and Colombia for about a month, presumed dead or kidnapped.

So what if he lives in Iowa. He knows his shit.

as for Spot, I had one and it didn't work for shit. It worked 100% from Wisconsin to Veracruz, and then it worked less than 50% of the time from Veracruz to Ushuaia. It was so randomly unreliable that I stopped using it for anything other than entertainment, i.e.: to show people what kind of bullshit you can buy at REI.

Spot is good for lying to your family so that they don't worry about you.

Sorry, but you also believed a story spun by some guy about being chased in Mexico.
That was also as reliable as this guys 5 point plan from the cornfield.
He knows absolutely zero about the current situation in Mexico.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #67
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,706
Quote:

~ SNIP ~

I can't think of a better way to spend some time than over a few beers while listening to THAT story!!

Keep praying for Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #68
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Sorry, but you also believed a story spun by some guy about being chased in Mexico.
That was also as reliable as this guys 5 point plan from the cornfield.
He knows absolutely zero about the current situation in Mexico.
What? I didn't believe the Mexico-chase story. I mean, I believed that something happened. What actually happened? Were they really chased? Would I take the story to the bank?

Jeff can be a little difficult to understand on advrider. I think he's being more than a little sarcastic. He certainly never followed any of his own "advice." The guy couch-surfed his way to Ushuaia, with one glove, and one side case, on a POS f650. I don't think he duct-taped his bike though. The duct-tape idea comes from someone else, aka Mustache Man, who has since been banned. Remember Mustache Man? He wanted to know what kind of cyanide to use so that he wouldn't get raped, or something bizarre like that.

I'm also pretty sure Jeff didn't ride any autopistas. He's way too fucking cheap for that.

And as for SPOT, he didn't use one, he didn't even call home very often. He didn't follow any advice from anyone- in fact, he seemed to enjoy crazy risks.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #69
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Quote:

Just, wow. Talking out of one's ass with more than a hint of xenophobia, lovely combination.

Quote:
I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
On this we agree. Dude started his trip a couple towns away from where I began mine; makes one think.

Here's hoping for his safe return...with one hell of a story to tell.

- M
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #70
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Jeff can be a little difficult to understand on advrider. I think he's being more than a little sarcastic. He certainly never followed any of his own "advice." The guy couch-surfed his way to Ushuaia, with one glove, and one side case, on a POS f650. I don't think he duct-taped his bike though. The duct-tape idea comes from someone else, aka Mustache Man, who has since been banned. Remember Mustache Man? He wanted to know what kind of cyanide to use so that he wouldn't get raped, or something bizarre like that.

I'm also pretty sure Jeff didn't ride any autopistas. He's way too fucking cheap for that.

And as for SPOT, he didn't use one, he didn't even call home very often. He didn't follow any advice from anyone- in fact, he seemed to enjoy crazy risks.
So his whole post is some kind of a sarcastic joke at the expense of the grieving family. F-ing Hilarious!! NOT!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #71
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
So his whole post is some kind of a sarcastic joke at the expense of the grieving family. F-ing Hilarious!! NOT!
A short history lesson about advrider's going missing in Latin America:

1) read Ozy's story.

2) Read Funklab's story.

3) Read Gato Gato's story.

4) I already forgot the name of the fisherman-turned-advrider, I think he was on a Husky, and he went missing near Belize, irrc, and then he turned up.

5) More than a few guys have gone "missing," only to have just not wanted to be found for a while.

6) When Gato Gato didn't show up in Colombia, the FBI and the State Department went looking for him. I was in Wisconsin at the time, but I asked my Panama family to do some investigating between Colon and San Blas, and they actually went out of their way to try to find out anything. I was really, really pissed with it turned out that Jeff just didn't feel like making an effort to contact anyone for about a month. His poor parents- they thought he was dead.

I promise that nobody on this site was more pissed at Gato Gato than I was. I chased him all the way to Ushuaia. I'm pretty sure that I saw him, south of Buenos Aires, but he got away.

I finally met him about a year later, in Colorado. He's not a normal guy. None of us are. And on the Latin America forum spectrum, Jeff is on the very-young-end. Not everybody here thinks I'm as funny as I think I am, and Jeff is just like me, only the opposite. So if you don't like what he has to say, that's more your problem than Jeff's. I'm certain that he really doesn't care what you think about his attitude. I'm also certain that if he had the money and the time right now, he wouldn't hesitate to ride everywhere in Mexico that everyone says he shouldn't. He wouldn't give a shit about the borders, he wouldn't pay a helper a single fucking penny, and he'd wear the same pink 'Stitch all the way to Ushuaia. It's hard for some to understand this about Jeff: he accepts the risks and consequences better than most of us. When you ride SOTB, you take risks. If something bad happens to you, it's nobody's fault but your own.

Me? Am I talking out my ass? I was almost kidnapped exactly a week ago, in Delhi, India. Almost kidnapped, as in, a gang of security guys at the Delhi train station are running a pretty sophisticated scam, and I fell for it. It almost ended very badly. This isn't the place for me to explain what happened, but if it had happened according to the bad-guy's plan, it would have been nobody's fault buy mine, because I'm the idiot who went to India without a plan. If I had gone missing, I'm sure nobody would have been able to find me, like, ever.

If you go for an adventure ride- hell, if you just ride a motorcycle- you're taking risks. I'm not going to be all, like, "oh the poor man!" and wring my hands and shit. It's a risky business, this adventure stuff. Sometimes, guys die.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #72
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Well, thanks for the insight. I'll put GatoGato on the list of people that I won't ride with until they grow up.

SR screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 06:13 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 AM   #73
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Missing Adventurer in Mexico.

32 year old Harry Develt has not been heard from since Jan 25th. I hope there is a positive outcome to this story.
http://youtu.be/uwtSzaiYoCk
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #74
TeeVee OP
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 740
not that this is my thread, but i certainly didn't start it so inmates could cross talk shit to each other.

take the nonsense to jo mama.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #75
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
found his blog. apparently a rookie on a world tour... hope for a positive outcome.

http://www.anewyorkertravels.com/nyc...w-how-to-ride/

beautiful photos, thought..
http://joyviewer.com/u/anewyorkertravels/?fid=314546713
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote