Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #91
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR562 View Post
I wonder if the bike being kinda military looking was a bad thing. I have always wanted to go to Mexico to ride, but I don't want anything like this to happen. Sad because I'm so close being in southern California.
Please don't. It's just not helpful.

This thread can be useful for spreading awareness of the situation and generating useful ideas like posting alerts in Spanish on Mexican web sites.It's worth the effort to keep it focused and uncluttered.

Keep praying for Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #92
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
I just got back from two months in Mexico and Guatemala on that same year/make/color bike. I go almost every year. Many, many people ride around Mexico all the time without problems. The people of Mexico have been very kind and friendly to me.

My thoughts are for Harry and his family and friends.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #93
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Sorry, but you also believed a story spun by some guy about being chased in Mexico.
That was also as reliable as this guys 5 point plan from the cornfield.
He knows absolutely zero about the current situation in Mexico.
I just want to jump in here but Michoacán has been more or less a low intensity war zone for over a year! I would not travel any route that was inland off the coast road let alone go bebopping through the villages in the countryside which from what I gather is what the missing biker was doing. And just because you are sitting on a beach in Cancun does not mean you know the situation on the ground in all the country!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #94
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
I read Gato's ride report in real time as well as every other Latin ride report over the last seven years and I find nothing in the above statement to be untrue or disparaging it is the way it is no matter how you perceive it to be in your mindset. Sure you probably won't have a problem but once off the beaten tourist track parameters can change quickly and I don't mean riding terain
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #95
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
found his blog. apparently a rookie on a world tour... hope for a positive outcome.

http://www.anewyorkertravels.com/nyc...w-how-to-ride/

beautiful photos, thought..
http://joyviewer.com/u/anewyorkertravels/?fid=314546713
The title of the guy's blog seems to tell much of the story, or at least part of it....jumping on a Dual Sport Bike and planning on traveling the world, when you've never even rode a Motorcycle before?

I hope he is AOK...but there is a major league chance that he had problems related to the bike and riding, rather than outlaws...but, either is possible. Just keep praying and hoping for the best for him and his loved ones.

And really guys the chest thumping??? I can find a few thousand idiots on this site to start a flame war with....but on this serious thread....come on

Hoot Gibson screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 08:12 AM
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #96
Charmin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I first knew about this issue on Friday.

I am really surprised but in major Mexican TV news channels doesn't say nothing about this guy. This could be really helpful so everybody knows about it around the area he was.

Things around Michoacan and Guerrero are not going good at this time.

Charmin screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 02:23 PM
Charmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #97
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
not that this is my thread, but i certainly didn't start it so inmates could cross talk shit to each other.

take the nonsense to jo mama.
You don't seem to understand how this place works.

1) From time to time there's a "missing rider" thread every week or month.

2) Motorcyclists die every day.

3) Hand-wringing about missing riders is useless.

4) If you don't like the risk, stay home.

5) Read Ozy's ride report. It's probably the best one on advrider.

6) Read The Striking Viking's ride report, and Glenn's book, Two Wheels Through Terror.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #98
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
I find GatoGato's recommendation that Spot Trackers be mandatory pretty funny.
What legislative body is going to enact this law and who is going to enforce it ?
Maybe you can find a way to legislate common sense and veracity.
And while you're at it make sure everyone has new tires and batteries and carries extra toilet paper.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #99
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
My spot tracker died 3 days int the TAT. At least the other 2 guys had them.

Back on topic. I posted this on my FB as a know a few people who spend alot of time in mexico. Maybe someone has fam of friends down there.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #100
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
KLR Fender

Bike should be easily identified, that KLR fender isn't stock. Hope he is found OK.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #101
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
This story just reminded me when you went missing!

Regarding your comment on Central America

Let's hope we can find Harry in good health!
That really made me laugh!!

In regard to Henry, I really hope it is nothing serious. I posted info in Facebook group trying to spread words for him.. My pray and thought is with him and his family.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #102
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
I'm in Mexico right now. I haven't seen Harry.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #103
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Can anyone offer up an update on the search effort - what exactly is geing done and by who? Haven't seen anything in a few days other than the French & US embassies (Harry was born in Fr.) being involved in some search effort.

Keep praying for Harry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #104
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Can anyone offer up an update on the search effort - what exactly is geing done and by who? Haven't seen anything in a few days other than the French & US embassies (Harry was born in Fr.) being involved in some search effort.

Keep praying for Harry.

Just posted on his facebook page.....
in a hospital Urupan this a hospitalized person that matches the missing data and at least matching tattoos ... Uruapan General Hospital "Dr. Pedro Martinez Daniel "The description matches the unknown, at least in tattoos, with Harry Devert." Slim Build, light brown, bushy eyebrow, straight nose, is 1.70 meters tall, has two tattoos, one on the arm like a heart left and one on the left seems capitalization MA "hand. his condition is serious.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #105
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Can anyone offer up an update on the search effort - what exactly is geing done and by who?
Keep praying for Harry.
Devert's girlfriend posted on the facebook page today that they were getting more action from the Mexican authorites due to all the publicity, but nothing specific.