User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Day 3 - ciudad obregon to mazatlan

Before leaving town I made a withdrawal at the ATM across the street from my hotel. And rolling south to the edge of town I stopped at a great roadside place for breakfast. Run by the two pictured women, it was clean and the food was fresh. This is my first roadside dining this trip and I loved it!

Breakfast on the road... couldn't be better!

And my two hostesses. A full breakfast and coffee for $5 US... and I got to dine with locals!

About 180 miles north of Mazatlan (didn't get the town's name) I came across an accident shortly after it occurred... complete with Police and a sizeable crowd.

The driver did a very poor parking job! He had to have come across the road, through on-coming lanes, to be where the car met the tree. I'm thankful that I don't seem to find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time!

About two hours from Mazatlan, I came across this beautiful field of flowers... had to stop for a few pics!

The map from Spot shows my progress for the first 3 days.

The 100 miles of 15, coming into Mazatlan, was a fabulous motorcycle ride. It was through hills, up and down, and in and out... with light to no traffic at all... perfect! So, I arrived slightly after dark, but with street lights the ride into town wasn't bad. I'll decide in the morning whether I'll stay in Mazatlan for a day, or continue south... to be continued.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 08:52 PM
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
Moto Vaquero
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 270
I'm tuned in , keep 'er comin.

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 384
Mazatlan

Like your report. One of my bikes is an 05 DR with 3 trips to Mexico. I have stayed next to the Shrimp Bucket a few times. 40 dls. Walk around 3 blks off the sea wall and get a $15 habitation. Headed to San Diego in a few weeks to get dental work in Tijuana and get out of this cold weather. Saludos tiene un viaje bueno.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vaquero View Post
I'm tuned in , keep 'er comin.
Thanks... I'll do my best! I'm about to post the daily events. Please stayed tuned!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell caesar View Post
Like your report. One of my bikes is an 05 DR with 3 trips to Mexico. I have stayed next to the Shrimp Bucket a few times. 40 dls. Walk around 3 blks off the sea wall and get a $15 habitation. Headed to San Diego in a few weeks to get dental work in Tijuana and get out of this cold weather. Saludos tiene un viaje bueno.
The DR just seems to work down here... glad yours does too. I'm in San Diego full time now... we should connect when I return. Thanks for the good wishes.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 07:40 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
In the peanut gallery, bring it on!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In the peanut gallery, bring it on!
Tricepilot is never in the peanut gallery. But I'll do my best!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Layover day in mazatlán

I woke to a beautiful sunny day and the decision was made to relax. I decided to relocate down the beach to a place that was recommended by a friend, the Belmar. It is a wonderfully tired old structure that saw its glory days many years ago. In its funkiness, it's perfect for the moto traveler. On my ride down the beach, I stopped to check out the fishing boats and the gorgeous views.

Though it was Sunday morning, the fishermen were out sorting their nets and equipment.

After checking in, I took a long leisurely walk through Old Mazatlán and the colonial district. It was an early Sunday morning kind of quiet and I was able to absorb the surroundings without distraction. I eventually came upon the Plazuela Machado, with these two inviting cafe/restaurants. It was a perfect time for a break and breakfast... I was in.

The establishment to the right, is the Machado Fish Taco, written up in the Lonely Planet. And I must admit that I returned for a couple of their specialties at lunchtime... delightful!

Here are some pics of the colonial architecture. The scale and feel of the neighborhood is welcoming and warm.

In my wanderings, I came across the Centro Mercado, the indoor market where the locals shop... a slice of life!

As I completed my loop and headed back to the Belmar, I returned to the Malecón. My hotel is the blue building in the center of the pic. Tourists and locals are out in numbers on the beach and Malecón.

The day wasn't without incident though, while unloading the bike I dropped my tank bag with camera inside. Ouch! The several camera shops I came across during my walk weren't able to help, so it's off to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow. My iPhone camera gave me backup today.

I had dinner at an OK restaurant by the Ferries, the best part of which was sitting on the water. The ferry is headed to Pichilingua, by La Paz and near the southern tip of the Baja.

When I returned to the Belmar, the last light of day was on the horizon.

These are taken from my balcony... a sweet view!

Tomorrow morning I'll be on the road again... yippee!

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 06:40 AM
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #24
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Loving it, Jim.

Sucks about the camera, but you should have some luck in PV.

Once you get your shit fixed, I'd suggest to head about 25 miles north to Sayulita. It's the spot the other Matt got stuck for several months last year; it's too good to miss.

Keep the photos coming and we'll catch up in DF next weekend.

Cheers, amigo!
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #25
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Looks like a great ride
Let me know when you're getting closer to Antigua, Guatemala .

is on me
Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #26
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_p_w View Post
Loving it, Jim.

Sucks about the camera, but you should have some luck in PV.

Once you get your shit fixed, I'd suggest to head about 25 miles north to Sayulita. It's the spot the other Matt got stuck for several months last year; it's too good to miss.

Keep the photos coming and we'll catch up in DF next weekend.

Cheers, amigo!
Hey Matt, Great minds think alike! I remember Matt P. renting there for awhile... I'll head back after business. Looking forward to our reunion.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #27
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Looks like a great ride
Let me know when you're getting closer to Antigua, Guatemala .

is on me
Meeting GuateRider in GT... thanks for the invitation.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #28
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
good read-i really like your report....tell me do they have zero bars and dr pepper down there for a guy who does not like anything mexican in regards to the food other than fish tacos?...i could do baja may be someday and could survive for multiple weeks on zero bars and dr pepper....if no zero bars i could carry my own i guess and well may be find a few fish tacos,,but fish tacos in the states are generally like eating rubber from a recycled mickey thompson tire...just askin as i do not like any food that is mexican other than a good authentic fish taco...god speed
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #29
Red Beer'd
Tourist

Oddometer: 32
Awesome trip so far! I have to follow along!
Red Beer'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
trackjack
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey Jim, Jack in FC here. This is my 1st ever post. Wish I was with you in the warm weather! Its still in the 20's here. I just got a 2013 DR650 and am installing the skid plate and other armor when the temp gets above freezing. Have fun but take care. Come back and visit this summer
trackjack is offline   Reply With Quote